PDA

View Full Version : Is this tacky?

niccig
12-10-2011, 12:29 AM
A friend posted on Facebook if anyone is upgrading to a 3DS and will sell her the old DS, so she can give it to her son for Christmas.

I have a history with this person asking for things before we barely finished with them. eg mention getting DS a bike, she immediately asks if she can "use" it for her son - not buy, "use". So I think I'm biased. DH joked she would want to use our burial plot first if we had one.

lalasmama
12-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I think the tackiness depends on true "need" or not, if that makes sense. I have 2 friends that are extremely financially strapped this year, and they have posted on FB asking for someone to give them anything for their kids' Christmas this year.

I think it's tacky to ask for something that belongs to someone else when they have recently upgraded, unless it's family. However, I'm more of a "whatcha gonna do with the old one?" instead of a "can we have the old one?" ... Now, with my sister, she and I give/take/borrow back and forth a million times, and ask for things straight out. "Oh, you just got a new Dustbuster? Our's broke. Can we have your old one since you don't need two?" It's worse with kids clothes--I will flat out say "I can't wait until DNiece outgrows that, it will be so cute on DD!" but, we're sisters.... I wouldn't dream of saying something similar to someone on FB :)

I also think it's tacky if they can well-afford something, but just don't want to put the money out for it.

Uno-Mom
12-10-2011, 12:54 AM
The part about the ds3 seems odd to me but just asking if anyone wants to sell a used game system doesn't seem tacky. It would be ok within my corner of fb. I've had friends ask on fb if anybody had leads on used cloth diaper stashes!

niccig
12-10-2011, 12:57 AM
I also think it's tacky if they can well-afford something, but just don't want to put the money out for it.

It's this - I understand getting a bargain as much as someone else, but I've just had her ask me many times for something, so tehy don't have to pay for it. Babysitting included. After a while you feel taken advantage.

I'm all for sharing and giving things when you're done with them. I still have DS"s umbrella stroller and he's 7! I'm dropping it off at a friend's house, she has a 18 month old and mentioned looking at umbrella strollers and I offered mine to her. I won't have time to craiglist etc. so she can have it.

Uno-Mom
12-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Sounds like your friend may be a bit of a scrounge but I still don't think the fb post is out of line by itself. The factors like babysitting would irritate me in a friend. I wouldn't mind sharing used stuff with a wealthy friend, though, just so stuff gets recycled. But that's a different attitude/approach than how you describe this person.

BayGirl2
12-10-2011, 01:22 AM
I don't think its tacky. She's not asking you directly, right, just posting to all her contacts? In that case I would equate it to looking for a bargain on something, like asking if you've seen any sales on X.

Now if she asked you directly and put you on the spot, that could be tacky. I can see how that as well as the babysitting thing would make you uncomfortable.

ha98ed14
12-10-2011, 02:38 AM
....just asking if anyone wants to sell a used game system doesn't seem tacky.

I agree, but in the context of the bike conversation, it shows that she wants her son to have these toys and foest want to pay full price, BUT also doesn't want to do the WORK of bargain hunting for new or stalking Craigslist for used. She wants a deal served up to her on a silver platter tied with a bow. Who knows, she may ask you to gift wrap it for her! ;)

HannaAddict
12-10-2011, 02:43 AM
No, it isn't tacky to post in general to FB. For all you know, she is bargain hunting, craiglist stalking, eBay surfing and trying other avenues. It isn't directed at you and though she might be annoying in other ways, this is nothing to think twice about. Maybe someone will have a DS they would love to sell, win win.