PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrr poor baby!

Uno-Mom
12-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I need to share this observation... it isn't really a bitch, just a "whuut? Did I just see that?"

I'm sitting I'm my car in a stripmall lot. It is about 40 degrees and windy. I just watched what I assume is a grandma, mom and dad strip a baby boy down to his diapers and change his outfit right on their suv tailgate. We are 20 feet from multiple stores with public bathrooms! They then went right into a photography studio, so I assume they'd been shopping and then wanted to dress him for Christmas pictures.

Is it wierd that I think that was really unkind to the poor shivering baby?? I could hear the poor kid yelling protests. I noticed they all had thick coats and scarves on.

Ok, I'm done now. I hope that studio is warm for that poor little guy now!

crl
12-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Hmm, I could see choosing to change the diaper there--I hate bathrooms for changing diapers (gross, my kid's flails and screams, tc, etc). And forty is cold, but not super cold so I might still do it But I'd just change clothes in the photography studio where it is nice and warm.

Catherine

Uno-Mom
12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Hmm, I could see choosing to change the diaper there--I hate bathrooms for changing diapers (gross, my kid's flails and screams, tc, etc). And forty is cold, but not super cold so I might still do it But I'd just change clothes in the photography studio where it is nice and warm.

Catherine

I've changed my share of tailgate diapers myself. :). But not in these temps, with wind. It's more awkward but at the very least I would do it inside the car out of the wind. Especially if I had a huge suv. Oh well, I'm sure he's fine and defrosting by now.

trales
12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I would be tempted to pants the parents, but that is just me.

JoyNChrist
12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
i would be tempted to pants the parents, but that is just me.

:rotflmao:

Uno-Mom
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I would be tempted to pants the parents, but that is just me.

I like how you think. What would my dh say if I told him he had to strip off his coat and shirt to change in the parking lot today? Yeah, I think not. Let alone changing pants.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat:

i think i may have done this before :bag. Not for picture taking (like PP said that could be done anywhere), but in "emergency" situations... we have to change a poop diaper, and the place we are at (restaurant at a strip mall) does not have a changing table in the bathroom, and no other places are open. At least my kids don't complain too much, and one of us could stand and shield him/her from the wind. We have a van but it's hard to change the clothes inside, especially if it's poopy diaper and the kid can't be standing up.

and i realllly hate changing kids in public bathrooms. my son FREAKS OUT when he hears the toilets flushing and the hand dryers bc they are so loud. plus there is usually a long line, and trying to maneuver a double stroller inside a crowded public bathroom ...ugh, i cringe just thinking about it!

Uno-Mom
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
:

and i realllly hate changing kids in public bathrooms. my son FREAKS OUT when he hears the toilets flushing and the hand dryers bc they are so loud. plus there is usually a long line, and trying to maneuver a double stroller inside a crowded public bathroom ...ugh, i cringe just thinking about it!

I hear ya on that one. Sprog is usually cool in bathrooms but she was completely traumatized by the motion-activated blow drier at the HA outlet, of all places. Seriously, a super-powered blow drier that my kid can activate by walking past...in a store catering to small kids? She now asks me: "mommy, mommy no fan??" when we go into bathrooms.

But I digress...

AngB
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
DS freaks out when I change him in a restroom and a toilet flushes, so I personally try to change him anywhere else, but I'd do it with the car on and heater running at least (and doors closed.) For an entire outfit, I'd definitely change him in the studio. Weird. Poor kiddo.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I hear ya on that one. Sprog is usually cool in bathrooms but she was completely traumatized by the motion-activated blow drier at the HA outlet, of all places. Seriously, a super-powered blow drier that my kid can activate by walking past...in a store catering to small kids? She now asks me: "mommy, mommy no fan??" when we go into bathrooms.

But I digress...

Hehe, the place that gets us all the time with the loud fans is IKEA (another place that is supposed to be kid-friendly, lol). And yeah, even from across the hall from it, in the family/nursing area, DS jumps whenever he hears one, and then tries to talk himself down "That's a hand-dryer. That's a hand-dryer!!" LOL.

amldaley
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM

But I digress...

Our Babies R Us/Toys r Us hand dryer is like that. DD is seriously traumatized by it.

BayGirl2
12-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I do the diaper in the back of the SUV thing. But its rarely that cold here so I wouldn't think about the cold issue. Now would I do it while in Tahoe in the snow? Probably not, I'd be afraid of frostbite on their privates. 40 and windy would be a toss up, it would depend if I felt cold, if I'm wearing a scarf its probably too cold. But then I have been taking the baby to pick up DS without a coat on either of us - its in the 60's here and not really cold, but I'm sure some people think I'm torturing her on the 30 second walk from the carseat into the school. I tend to dress DC's at the same level I dress myself, not bundle them up like some babies I see.

happymom
12-11-2011, 12:22 AM
I was actually tempted to do this recently, but didn't because it was just too cold.

Gena
12-11-2011, 02:33 AM
LOL, in parts of Michigan 40 and windy is still considered "shorts weather". When we lived in MI I know I did tailgate changes in that sort of weather.

Uno-Mom
12-11-2011, 03:00 AM
LOL, in parts of Michigan 40 and windy is still considered "shorts weather". When we lived in MI I know I did tailgate changes in that sort of weather.

Heehee! Well here, it's cold. :). You're probably made of tougher stuff in Michigan. But kids here grow up with webbed feet from all the winter rain! Count me as another parent whose.kid for a out without a coat on frosty mornings. Why bother when it's ten feet and you have to undo the coat anyway for the carseat? I don't walk her out in just her dipe, though.

I was wrong, though, it was actually a bit colder than 40 today here, per the news.

kerridean
12-11-2011, 10:37 AM

This. Being from northern Ohio (on the lake) 40 is downright balmy. I would not have blinked at eye at that mom. Maybe she was a transplant from up north.