PDA

View Full Version : Dress me for skiing lessons in Tahoe

kozachka
12-10-2011, 11:08 PM
I would like to finally learn to ski this season and for DS to do the same. We live in the SF Bay Area, so would be taking lessons in Tahoe area most likely, and no earlier than second part of January, possibly February. I own a 3-in-1 LL Bean parka, a set of long underwear from Costco and long underpants from Land's End. The latter have been bought last year with the goal of taking skiing lesson, but I got so overwhelmed with choices and prices that I postponed till this year. I have nothing else that would be appropriate for a skiing trip.

What should I buy, what brands and where? What has to be bought new vs. used vs. rented? What things are a must (e.g. waterproof pants/bibs) and what are just a good to have? Do I want a pair of ski pants or bibs? What kind of footwear? How many pairs of socks/underwear for a week-end? What weight for the baselayer - light, mid or heavy? Do I need a hat since I won't be able to wear it under a helmet? Do I need snow boots (I have a pair of fall Born boots) and a pair of winter boots? Any good deals that you know of that are good value for a beginner?

I don't know what's my budget, and I don't know if we'd like skiing or not, but I feel like I owe it to my DS and myself to try since most of my friends and colleagues rave about skiing. And being properly dressed should help make the process more enjoyable or at least less painful. Please help!

ETA: I live within a decent driving distance to REI, Sports Basement, the North Face, Patagonia, Costco and Goodwill. There might be others that I don't know to think of.

niccig
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I just got ski gear for myself.

insulated ski pants at REI - columbia brand, so not high price, they were the ones that fitted me best.
insulated jacket from Sierra Trading
I did get snow boots, but my goretex hiking bikes would have been fine.
I also got 3 pairs of ski socks.
ski gloves

We visit family enough during winter in MI and CO that these items will get used again - playing in snow, sledding etc. I get cold in LA, so I know I need decent gear if I'm to enjoy myself. It's not been cheap to buy these things - maybe see if you can borrow from someone? Everyone we know will need them at same time we're going, and I know I'll re-wear these items when visit ILs. I could have gotten away with my hiking boos, but everytime we visit ILs I complain of cold feet, so DH insisted I get a pair of sorrel snow boots when saw them on sale.

I already had 2 pairs of thermal underwear (smart wool) and 2 smart wool sweaters for layering. I have a north face non-down puffer jacket that can be layered under the insulated ski jacket if need be. I also have a fleece jacket and hat. I got given a neck gaiter. I have heavy-weight base layer as I freeze.

The only items that may not get used again if we don't go skiing are the helmet and googles. I opted to buy as needed googles that fit my glasses underneath and the thought of renting a helmet and possibility of lice, freaked me out.

twowhat?
12-11-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm sure it's personal preference but if you're skiing with glasses, I'd definitely get goggles. If you don't wear glasses or wear contacts, you'd be fine with sunglasses as long as it's not actively snowing while you're skiing, though I recommend you get sunglasses specifically for skiing. Ski goggles and sunglasses (on top of being impact-resistant) also have lenses that make it a lot easier to see contrast in the snow (for example it'll be easier for you to see the transition between a hill and a flat spot). I never wore a helmet, but I've also never been off of a wide, flat, easy green:)

Definitely recommend bib instead of just pants for learning. Lots of falling downhill = lots of snow jammed up the torso and a bib will keep you dry better. I'm a SERIOUS klutz though so I fell a LOT, including right on the end of my ski pole ON THE BUNNY SLOPE, leaving the nastiest bruise on my butt that I've EVER seen.

Waterproof gloves for sure. If your hands get cold while wearing the gloves, take them OFF for a few minutes to let the sweat dry off:)

Ski socks for sure. Thick ones. The thicker the better for learning - it helps pad your shins against the ski boots.

I'd go ahead and get decent quality stuff. If you don't like skiing, you might like snowboarding or snowshoeing or other snow sport that it would be good to have waterproof gear for.

DrSally
12-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same. Do, you use your own boots for skiing--I know nothing. I second the waterproof gloves, just from sledding, I can attest to the fact that wet gloves are no fun. I've seen some very thick, wool skiing socks at TJMaxx/Marshalls. I got some recently to wear for sledding.

twowhat?
12-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same. Do, you use your own boots for skiing--I know nothing. I second the waterproof gloves, just from sledding, I can attest to the fact that wet gloves are no fun. I've seen some very thick, wool skiing socks at TJMaxx/Marshalls. I got some recently to wear for sledding.

For learning, I say just rent. I don't think people typically buy their own boots and/or skis until they are positioned to hit the slopes frequently.

kozachka
12-12-2011, 01:23 AM
I plan on renting boots, skis and poles while I am learning and trying to figure out whether I like skiing or not. I will most likely buy a helmet. Costco carries several Bolle helmets. Any opinion as to which one is best value/features?

Bolle Ultra-lightweight In-mold Helmet (http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11678889&search=helmet&Mo=6&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=helmet&Ntt=helmet&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1#BVRRWidgetID) - $39.97

Bolle Synergy Winter Sports Helmet (http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11678888&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|63872|75724&N=4048825&Mo=11&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75724&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=111*63872*75724*&topnav=)- $39.97

Bolle Alpine Helmet (http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11678887&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|63872|75724&N=4048825&Mo=11&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75724&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=111*63872*75724*&topnav=)- $49.97

kozachka
12-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Definitely recommend bib instead of just pants for learning. Lots of falling downhill = lots of snow jammed up the torso and a bib will keep you dry better. I'm a SERIOUS klutz though so I fell a LOT, including right on the end of my ski pole ON THE BUNNY SLOPE, leaving the nastiest bruise on my butt that I've EVER seen.

This totally makes sense, I'll be on a lookout for a bib. Plus I am guessing a bib would be warmer than pants. At least that was our experience with DS when we were living in a much colder climate than now.

AngelaS
12-12-2011, 08:21 AM
I wear long wool socks, thin ones, long underwear and my Lands End squall snow pants. When you're learning, yes, bibs are great. I also wear a long sleeved shirt and my Lands End squall parka. If it's really cold, I wear a fleece neck gaiter. I have a helmet (I don't remember the brand) and for my hands I wear cheap glove liners and then felted wool mittens. :)

cuca_
12-12-2011, 08:34 AM
I started learning last year, and agree that bibs are better. I have these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marker-gillette-ski-bib-overalls-for-women~p~14730/?filterString=search~bib%2F&colorFamily=27

I wear smartwool ski socks like this ones:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/smartwool-phd-light-cushion-ski-socks-merino-wool-for-women~p~1943x/?filterString=search~ski-socks%2F&colorFamily=08

AnnieW625
12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I HATE snow bibs! They are a pain to get out of IMHO to go to the bathroom. I think you ate fine with what you have and I'd add a wool sweater, and some snowboarding pants. I used to wear a turtleneck, heavy dance leggings, jeans, and waterproof ski pants. Over the sweater or sweatshirt if it was really cold I'd wear a down puffer jacket or if it was warmer (mid 40s to low 50s and not snowing) I'd wear a windbreaker type parka. Granted I haven't skied much in the last 10 years, but this is what worked for me. I have never worn a helmet.

twowhat?
12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I HATE snow bibs! They are a pain to get out of IMHO to go to the bathroom. I think you ate fine with what you have and I'd add a wool sweater, and some snowboarding pants. I used to wear a turtleneck, heavy dance leggings, jeans, and waterproof ski pants. Over the sweater or sweatshirt if it was really cold I'd wear a down puffer jacket or if it was warmer (mid 40s to low 50s and not snowing) I'd wear a windbreaker type parka. Granted I haven't skied much in the last 10 years, but this is what worked for me. I have never worn a helmet.

You definitely have to make sure the straps don't take a dip in the toilet:)

My latest pair of ski pants are pants, but they have quite a high waist - almost all the way up to my rib cage. You might be able to find a similar style to help keep you dry if you don't want to wear a bib. Also keep the inner layer of your coat's drawstring pulled tight - that will minimize snow getting in as well. You can even tuck the inner layer into your pants if that layer is thin enough.

AnnieW625
12-12-2011, 01:22 PM
You definitely have to make sure the straps don't take a dip in the toilet:).

I never even thought about that. When I last wore bibs I was 10-12 yrs. old and I would wear a sweater over the bibs so I'd have to off the jacket, then the sweater and the unzip the bib. Big pita.

shishamo
12-12-2011, 02:04 PM
We ski almost every saturday from Dec-March. In your situation, I would get a ski pants, 2-3 pair of ski socks (I have smartwool ones-Sierra trading Post have them cheap) and a GOOD glove. Good gloves (waterproof and warm) are expensive but they are very much worth it.

Jacket: LE 3 in 1 parka will probably work ok. If not, you can always get a ski jacket in January when things go on sale.

Helmet: I think this is a must. I have one from Smith, my kids all have one from Giro. I don't think you need an expensive one, cheap one will protect your head just as well. The ones with dial in the back so you can adjust is nice.

niccig
12-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Costco carries several Bolle helmets. Any opinion as to which one is best value/features?

I had to go to a store and try on several helmets. I have a small head and most women's smalls were too big. The kid's helmets fit, but didn't come far enough down over my brow, as it's supposed to. So, I had to try on several until found the brand + size that fit best. As I wear glasses, I had to make sure the googles worked with my glasses and then the helmet...so it was best to go to store with several options. You might need to try these to work out which fits best.

DrSally
12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
I think trying on the helmet is a good idea too. When I was shopping for a motorcycle helmet, I had to try on so many to get the right fit. I also had to go w/a men's bicycling helmet b/c apparently, my head is too big for the women's!

kozachka
12-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Thank you for all your replies, ladies. Lots of good information and links.