PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: When to start BCP?

ourbabygirl
12-10-2011, 11:28 PM
So I got (what I think is) my period yesterday, but it's been very light yesterday and today. I'm assuming it's my period because I haven't had it for about a month, I'm not on the BCP right now (the past months I've been on it, I get spotting about half way through the month), and we haven't done it any time recently (and when we did, we used a condom), so I don't think I'm pregnant. ;)
Anyhow, I believe I'm supposed to start the next cycle of pills the Sunday after I get my period, right? So if I just started spotting yesterday, I would still start the first pill tomorrow?

Thanks for the reminder!

lalasmama
12-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Yep, you can start either on the first day of your period, or the first Sunday after your period. (Really, you can start anyday--even today or Monday!--and nothing bad will happen. They just made it a "Sunday start" thing to make it memorable. Would you remember "Tuesday start" as well? :) )

Just because I'm obsessive, I would take a pregnancy test just to be sure since you haven't been on any BC this last month, and this period didn't start out with a "Oooohhhh yeah, AF is here!".... And assuming it's negative, I'd be taking that pill! (To be fair, though, I've had several ooops pregnancies [ending in miscarriage], and each time XH looked at me and said "But we were using a condom!" I need the proof of a negative test!)

karstmama
12-11-2011, 10:58 AM
she's right - start today but do a pregnancy test if you have any worries.