PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE IN OP! - Water broke 10 hours ago, no contractions

hoodlims
12-11-2011, 01:17 AM
UPDATE: I walked to the hospital late Sat night with DH (4 residential blocks from our house) at 10ish and was admitted at 10:30. My fave L&D nurse was there, happy to see me. She started me on the antibiotics, and around midnight, I went into some hard labor naturally! I was at 4cm then (was at 3 Friday afternoon with no labor signs already).

Ok, so this labor was so much more painful/intense than the last, probably due to the lack of my water bag. Baby's heartrate was dropping during contractions, so they ran a saline bag into my uterus to cushion it a little. Heart rate picked up immediately and I was taken off the monitor and allowed to go into the bath. At this point, it had been about 1.5hrs of hard labor and I was exhausted and broke down into asking for an epidural. Nurse kind of prolonged the process by checking me (7cm) and saying she'd call my midwife.

I kept waffling, then begging and doc was called, but when he showed up I was ready to push! 20 minutes of pushing, baby came out healthy. He was a boy! Whole entire process was about 3.5 hours. Baby was 8lb, 7oz, 22.5 inches (how this short Asian woman keeps popping out these gigantic babies is beyond me). We are all doing well.

THANK YOU THANK YOU all so much for your responses and support! This board is the best! I was totally nervous, scared, and worried last night so it warms my heart to see such positive thoughts and wishes come my way. Thanks again, this board rocks!

My water broke at 10:30 this morning (while I was mopping, no less). It has now been almost 12 hours. I have been in touch with my midwife, who told me earlier not to be concerned, to nap, chill, etc, and that it would start on its own soon.

Well it hasn't yet. So now I have to go into the hospital to get a round of antibiotics. My midwife said she is not going to be eager to start me on pitocin, because I don't want it.

I am kind of disappointed in my body's reaction. I mean, why am I not going into labor yet? My DD's labor was so different...nothing, then fast and furious, and she was out, all without any sort of drugs/intervention. To top it all off, my mother is bugging the crap out of me. She is wondering why I am not at the hospital, and wondering if I can feel the baby popping out of me. I told her, "I am not in labor." And she said, "So, your water broke, so shouldn't the baby be here by now? What if you are at 9cm and the baby is about to come out?" I repeated, "I am not in labor." WTF? Was I adopted or something?! Does she not know that you have to be in labor to have a child?

Ok, off my rant.

Has this happened to anyone here before? What happened to you? Did you need intervention to get labor started?

lalasmama
12-11-2011, 01:34 AM
I am kind of disappointed in my body's reaction. I mean, why am I not going into labor yet? My DD's labor was so different...nothing, then fast and furious, and she was out, all without any sort of drugs/intervention. To top it all off, my mother is bugging the crap out of me. She is wondering why I am not at the hospital, and wondering if I can feel the baby popping out of me. I told her, "I am not in labor." And she said, "So, your water broke, so shouldn't the baby be here by now? What if you are at 9cm and the baby is about to come out?" I repeated, "I am not in labor." WTF? Was I adopted or something?! Does she not know that you have to be in labor to have a child?

Ok, off my rant.

Has this happened to anyone here before? What happened to you? Did you need intervention to get labor started?

I couldn't read this without a :cheerleader1: Good Luck! :cheerleader1:

(As for Mom not knowing/remembering about that whole labor thing that happens... my birthmother had the gall to tell me that having me was a "breeze". They used high forceps to get me out and she's gonna say it was a breeze?! But, they did a lot of "twilight sleep" when most of us were being born, so many of our mothers actually, literally, don't remember labor, because of the drugs they gave women to forget the actual labor.)

Mermanaid
12-11-2011, 02:05 AM
I am so sorry! It happened to me. Water broke at 7:30a and nothing happened within the next few hours. I had pitocin to get it going and DD was born at 11:42pm.

Hope something happens soon!

ged
12-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Funny how the second one is not always easier/faster, etc., Nonetheless, fwiw, I was induced with the second and still delivered without additional drugs. Don't be discouraged. You can do it.

echoesofspring
12-11-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm sorry! It happened to me as well, you're lucky your midwife told you stay home. My mom who was here made me call my midwife, who was required to say 'go to the hospital'. If only we hadn't told my mom when my water broke, we all could have gotten a good night's sleep!

Hang in there! I did go into labor but unfortunately it stalled and I did eventually end up with pitocin about 24 hours after my water broke, and ultimately a csect about 40 hours in. I don't really recommend that route, but it all worked out ok, you do what you have to do...

Do everything you can to stay relaxed, save your strength and see if you can't get your labor going --- :grouphug: Good Luck!

essnce629
12-11-2011, 03:35 AM
Most women go into labor on their own within 24 hours of their water breaking. I'd do what your midwife said-- eat, sleep, rest.

Or you can try some nipple stimulation if you're really ready to get the show on the road: Apply oil to one breast, massage the area around the nipple/areola in a circular motion for 15 minutes (you don't have to actually touch your nipple), then switch sides. Only massage one breast at a time (15 minutes each side for a total of 1 hour). Wait for contractions. I'd recommend taking a long hot shower beforehand to help relax you.

Good luck!!!! Sending you quick and easy birthing vibes once things do start up!

MoJo
12-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Oh, BTDT, and labor didn't start within 24 hours in spite of membrane sweeping, lots of walking, and using a pump on my breasts.

They were getting worried about infection, so I ended up going on pitocin about 30 hours after my water broke . . . then needed an epidural (that I didn't want) to handle the off-the-charts contractions. But Jelly Bean arrived HOURS before they expected her to based on the time they started inducing & was as healthy as could be with great apgar scores etc.

Here's hoping today's a wonderful happy birthday for you!

daisymommy
12-11-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm sorry.
Yes, happened to me with #1.

I was 5cm. dilated for a month, then at 40wks. was 8cm. (still no contractions) went to the hospital and had midwife break my water to get it over with (wrong idea in retrospect)--and nearly 24 hrs. later I was still not in labor, and was still 8cm. My cervix hadn't budged.

So, I had to have pitocin. Several hours later DS was born.

Sometimes our bodies do weird things.

I know in your case you had absolutely no choice in the matter of your water breaking. But this is a perfect example why people who have a baby who is comfy in there, and the mother just wants labor to start on her own time clock should not have her water broken. Because it does not always start labor. And then pitocin needs to be given.

drako
12-11-2011, 10:32 AM
My water broke with DD about 6:30 in the evening with light contractions. I did not have my membranes sweeped or anything. I called OB and they told me to go to hospital to get checked out. When got to hospital I was only 1 cm dialated but they admitted me since my water broke. Labor wasn't progressing so I was given pitocin. I still wasn't really progressing as they would have liked to see so they kept increasing the amounts of pitocin at the appropriate times/levels. Infection was a concern so I was given antibiotics. I developed a fever throughout this so I did develop infection. Finally, I started to progress about 20 plus hours of labor. If I didn't start progressing than I was going to have to have a c-section. I did finally deliver vaginally. After DD was born she had to go to the NICU to receive antibiotics as well because of the infection. While in NICU her sugar level was low so they kept her longer. I couldn't see her since I had an infection and couldn't go to the NICU. It was horrible. She was swept off right after delivery and she didn't come to me until over 24 hours after I had her. I really was awful not being able to see my baby for that long. My placenta was sent to the lab and I did develop chorioamnionitis. This was my first child so I didn't really know what to expect and the hospital is about 30 mins away. I probably should have stayed home longer but I don't think that would have changed my outcome since I wasn't progressing on my own. Hope your labor goes well!

brittone2
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Have you tried walking?

I would probably head out and go for a looong walk. Not exhausting walking, but moving, and seeing if that increased my contractions. I know mine always picked up even in large stores like Home Depot or walking around the mall. I contracted a lot the day before I went into labor with DS2 as we were walking around a large children's museum with a huge outdoor area (lots and lots of outdoor walking).

Uno-Mom
12-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Hmmm...12 hours with no update...

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Hands and knees to make sure baby is well positioned. Sometimes a posterior baby will "cause" ROM but a pokey or stalled labor.

Good luck!!

Beth

Trigglet
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Good luck! Hoping no update means it's all happening! :hug:

mctlaw
12-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I hope your absence here means things are finally happening for you! P & PT for the birth you are hoping for.

BDKmom
12-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Congrats on you new baby boy! Glad you are both doing well! :yay:

brittone2
12-12-2011, 12:43 AM
nak-

Congrats!!!! Glad it worked out for you! :yay: :cheerleader1:

Welcome little one! :love-retry:

larig
12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
congrats!!! Thanks for sharing your story! :bighand:

happymom
12-12-2011, 01:54 AM
What a wonderful update!! Congratulations!!!!:cheerleader1:

echoesofspring
12-12-2011, 02:39 AM
thanks for the update, so nice to hear it went smoothly- Congratulations!!!

Uno-Mom
12-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Yaaaaaaay! I love the part about walking to the hospital. Not many people can say that these days!

essnce629
12-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Congrats!!!! Sounds like it went pretty fast after things got going!

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Congratulations!!!!!

Beth

mjs64
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Yay! Congratulations!

Melaine
12-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Congratulations!! I'm so glad you were able to do it naturally, that is wonderful. Love hearing about big healthy babies (although not sure I could deliver one sans meds myself). Have you picked a name? (I understand if you don't want to share though). Hope the next few weeks go smoothly!

Liziz
12-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Congratulations!!

sunshine873
12-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I've been checking this thread looking for an update. :) Congratulations! Sounds like a good experience over-all, and you have a bouncing baby boy to show for it! :)

Puddy73
12-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Congratulations! :yay:

Simon
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Congratulations and Welcome Baby Boy! I was so glad to read your update and see that it went very well in the end.

Yay!:cheerleader1:

mctlaw
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Oh yay!!! So happy for you!:yay:

elektra
12-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Congrats!

daisymommy
12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
:yay: Woo-hoo! You did great! Congratulations on your early Christmas present!!!

SkyrMommy
12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Congrats!!:cheerleader1: And welcome to the world little one!

wendibird22
12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm late to this thread. Glad nature kicked in and you have your wonderful little boy. Congrats!

MoJo
12-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Congratulations, hoodlims! Welcome, precious baby boy!

AnnieW625
12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Congratulations on the birth of your little guy! A funny story about water breaking is that my Grandma in 1955 with the birth of my uncle went to lunch at Bullocks dept. store with her parents and my grandpa so she could start her Christmas shopping. She got home around 6 pm, had a glass of wine, and then around 7 finally decided to go to the hospital. I think my uncle was born less than 4 hrs. later.

mommyp
12-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Congratulations!

lmh2402
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
congratulations! :D

pinay
12-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Yay! Congrats on your new addition!

c&j04
12-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Congratulations!!

maybeebaby08
12-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Congratulations!

citymama
12-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like he was more than worth the nailbiting wait!!!

hoodlims
12-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Thank you everyone! Have a great holiday!

mikala
12-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I'll add a belated congratulations as well!! Hope you and baby are still doing well and you're getting a bit of rest.

blue
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Congrats!!

elbenn
12-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Congratulations!