PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist WWYD part II! UPDATE

Melaine
12-11-2011, 08:29 AM
So last week I had a CL WWYD and now I have a more perplexing one. (by the way, Lady #1 was very apologetic and picked up the item from our house on Thursday).

I have over a dozen toys listed on Craigslist this week, all new in their boxes. These are from my bargains over the year and we just have to get back some of our guest room (that will be the baby's room).

Well, I have sold several of them this week and have been getting consistent emails about them. Last night a guy emailed me and asked to buy 6 of the toys. Here is why I think I am suspicious. At the bottom of all my ads I write "discounts will be given on multiple items". This guy has not asked about the discount. What's up with that? He just said that he wants them and has asked twice for my phone number. I emailed him back last night and said two of the toys had sold already and if he wanted the others when would he want to meet. He said he would take whatever was left and could meet any time. Still no request for a discount.

Now, on the one hand, maybe this guy has a bunch of kids to buy for and realizes that my prices are good (they are). But people on CL seem to always haggle...it just seems odd. And being so flexible about times seems weird. I don't really want to give him my number....but if I meet him in a public spot and ONLY with DH with me....should I try to set it up?

What do you think?

UPDATE:
Well, I told DH this just goes to show how POOR my intuition can be (I blame in on GAD, sometimes I get weirded out about absolutely nothing). Finally gave my phone number via email and it turned out to be a lady who called me and she was super nice (must have been her husband's email addy that made me think it was a guy). I met her sister this afternoon and she was also really friendly and was actually early to our meeting place. She bought $150 worth of toys from me and wants to buy any more that I find in my gift closet (for anyone wondering, I did end up giving her a decent discount for such a large purchase).

She likes to give toys anonymously to needy kids around Christmas and that's why she was interested in so many different things and wanted the whole lot!

So one of my best Craigslist weeks to date: 6 sales, totally $240. So great for us, because we did the cash and the space right now!

momm
12-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Definitely. I would absolutely go for it.. and not mention the discount till you meet him, if then.

Sometimes people are just too busy to shop for an EVEN better price than the one you're offering.

Good luck!

Melaine
12-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your input. After I wrote it out, I realized that I really had no legitimate reason for concern. Not asking for a discount does not suggest he is a serial killer. I usually meet people by myself but since this guy is so eager I am definitely going to set it up with DH with me. But I am going to go ahead because it would be dumb not to.

I also reflected on the guys I have had buy from me and all of them have been similar: very to the point, direct, no back and forth nonsense and easy to schedule with. As opposed to the other ladies (like myself) who ask tons of questions, go back and forth, and take forever to set up a meeting place (I'm the same way, I guess). I will let you know how it goes!

kijip
12-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Sounds fine. Also some people are weird about haggling. They won't do it at all or they will only do it in person.

Melaine
12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Bumping for update!:yay:

crayonblue
12-11-2011, 09:14 PM
That's great! As far as haggling, if I think I am getting a fair price, I don't ask for the seller to lower.

MamaInMarch
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
That's awesome that you are selling so well!!!:cheerleader1:

As far as the scenario goes, I have not purchased on Craigslist much. 3 things. The first was my stroller and I did haggle a little but only because I had to drive an hour and a half to get it. The second was a baby swing. Didn't haggle at all because I thought her price was totally fair. Last thing was yesterday for a Step 2 picnic table. In basically brand new condition and she only wanted $10 so no way would I haggle. And I am a SAHM mom so I really don't have much by way of time commitments so I am good with whenever people have an opening for pick up. I fit all of the things that were weirding you out and I'm not a serial killer. ;):D

AngB
12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I never haggle on CL- but I also don't respond to ads that are higher than I'm willing to pay.

And on the flipside, when I post things for sale (which I do fairly often, at least once or twice a month), I don't usually respond to any that are trying to haggle (which very very rarely even happens- I don't think at all this year) unless I've mentioned "or best offer" in the ad.

My guess is haggling on CL may be partially regional, as well.

I'm also a SAHM and usually say I can pick up at seller's convenience or ask when would be a good time for them, first.

Glad it worked out!

Melaine
12-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I usually don't haggle or accept offers but I did say in my ad that I would offer discounts on purchasing multiple items (because I had about 15 listed). It seemed to work better than putting things in lots because people could pick their items and then still get it for less. So that was why I was surprised that the first few emails did not discuss price!