PDA

View Full Version : Amazon price is half of what I paid. HELP!

Mamma2004
12-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I read that Amazon does not price adjust. However, I bought several of the spy gear items that are currenly on special. For example, the video watch is now $19.99 (I paid $40). There are a few other items, as well.

I know I could return the more expensive one and just reorder at the lower price. Is this my only option? It seems foolish for them to pay to ship a second one (I would have free SS shipping - I would add another item to get to the $25 minimum).

TIA!!!!!

veronica
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
If you already opened the original boxes, then you can't "refuse" them and give them back to UPS, so you would have to pay to ship them back.

if you received them fairly recently, you could try a "chat' with amazon to see if they would make an exception and give you a credit back. that can be hit or miss though.

go to the "help" section of amazon, click "contact us" and choose the chat option and go from there.

if you can't refuse the original packages and they do not credit you via chat, then your only option is to return them. good luck

Momit
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
This just happened to me, too. The price difference was over $60. I asked them to give me a credit (or even Prime for a year!) but they said no, I had to buy it again and return the more expensive one. Seems like a waste of time and their money, but whatever. I have had smaller amounts credited - but they were not at all willing on this most recent one.

Mamma2004
12-12-2011, 03:16 PM
No luck.
What a shame to be wasteful and send packages back and forth!

AAARGH, this is why I used to shop only at B&M stores. Amazon is a beast! I have gotten some great deals over the years, but there is price (sorry, no pun intended).

JenaW
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
yeah, I've learned the hard way with amazon too. They say "fre shipping and returns" but it seems like every time I've ordered recently, even though I get the free STM with prime, I ALWAYS have to pay to ship back. I recently ordered a pair of shoes that were processed through Amazon but were fulfilled from Shoeplanet.com I had a $10 amazon gift card, which is why I went through them...never thought to look at shoeplanet directly and see if they had the same price on their website. They offer free shipping and free returns when you buy through them directly. I had to exchange the shoes for a smaller size, but the price had changed on Amazon. So I had to "return" them though Amazon, even though it went to planetshoes, losing the return ship charge and my gift card, as planet shoes refunded my money, but then "resold" me the pair through them. What a nightmare...

wpp1997
12-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I only buy at regular price if I am desperate. You are very likely to see the price go much lower right after you buy. Murphy's Law. Amazon is great when you get deals. I prefer to wait for deals so I don't end up disappointed. I know how you feel.

kristenk
12-12-2011, 03:41 PM
DH purchased a DVD set on Amazon a while ago. A few weeks after he purchased it, he noticed that the set was selling for $40 less than he paid. I returned the original, unopened item through Amazon's return process and purchased the new one. The return was amazingly simple and easy to do. I used their return label, so UPS postage was deducted from my return. Still, the rate that Amazon has for UPS is much cheaper than I could get on my own, so using their label saved me quite a bit.

kristac
12-12-2011, 05:29 PM
I usually just keep calling back or chatting until I get a CS rep that will do the price adjustment.

Dream
12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
If the package is not opened can you give it back to the ups driver?

wellyes
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Just return it. Order a new one, then return the new (unopened) one as the more expensive one. No harm to Amazon. Unless it's big, shipping is just a couple bucks. Think of it this way -- you thought it was a good enough deal to purchase the first time, and now you are getting it way cheaper! Minus a few dollars for UPS.

chlobo
12-12-2011, 10:10 PM
This just happened to me. They gave me a "prepaid" label and told me I would get a full rebate. Makes no sense to me but what the heck.

Mamma2004
12-12-2011, 10:36 PM
This just happened to me. They gave me a "prepaid" label and told me I would get a full rebate. Makes no sense to me but what the heck.

Really? How did you manage that?!
I had a cordial representative named Charles who flatly explained that after delivery takes place, there can be no price adjustments. Hmph.
I placed a new order and will send back the original merchandise. I would love a prepaid label! Either way, it is so wasteful to keep shipping goods back and forth.

Thanks to everyone for you input!

Kindra178
12-13-2011, 12:12 AM
They price adjusted for me on the batcave a few weeks back. In my email, I said something like, "Am I going to go through the nonsense of returning my order and ordering it again, wasting a ton of resources on both sides of this transaction?"

kristenk
12-13-2011, 12:17 AM
OP, I think that return shipping for a set of Lord of the Rings DVDs cost the grand total of $2.86. I was amazed at the price. The return process was incredibly easy. Still annoying, of course, that you have to do that instead of just price adjust, but at least it's not too bad.

hakoch
12-13-2011, 12:20 AM
I just did this too! I bought an espresso machine (BIG splurge!) and when I went back to Amazon to get the rebate info, it was $125 cheaper!! (12 days later). They did send me the "prepaid" label, but it was paid by ME, deducted from the refund. It was still worth it to me to get the price difference, but that was my question "do I actually have to return this and re-purchase it??" I just left my feedback about the customer service, that it was simple but silly to return a perfectly good machine that is now USED, resources to ship both ways, etc. I don't get it...