PDA

View Full Version : Using pages from storybook as wall decor

american_mama
12-12-2011, 05:53 PM
This seems like it would be more a baby nursery question, but I want to decorate DS's big boy room with art from the book "The Little Engine That Could." Can someone link to me some samples as well as give some practical advice?

I will be using the new version with illustrations by Loren Long, and I can buy it as a 12 x 9.9" book or oversized 17.8 x 15.3. I called Kinko's and they cannot copy it for me since it's copywrighted, but I can color copy it myself up to 11 x 14. Anyone know how I can get it bigger, given the copywright issues?

I love the book and, if I used the oversize version, would love to be able to remove the pages for display and then, eventually, re-assemble the book. Is this possible? Whether I buy one copy or two, it seems like such a waste and sacrilege to buy a book, tear out a few pages, and let the rest go to waste or, horrors, throw the rest out.

If I frame the art, are there frames that work for these odd sizes and what do they cost?

wellyes
12-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't think it's wasteful at all to buy a book for a few pages to display. I think it is an act of literary reverence!

I also don't think a picture has to be greatly enlarged to be a good wall hanging. I have a bunch of colorful dust jackets from DD's kids books in colorful IKEA frames up on her wall. It makes me happy.

candaceb
12-12-2011, 11:43 PM
DS's nursery is Peter Rabbit themed. I went to a used book store and found a larger-sized copy of a Beatrix Potter treasury just to get an illustration for the wall. I used an Ikea frame with an 8x10 opening in the mat and the illustration fit perfectly.

have you checked on etsy? maybe you can find someone who has done that sort of wall art with an out-of-copyright work and they would do it for you as a custom order (but they can't advertise it if it's copyrighted)...

AustenFan
12-31-2011, 09:15 PM
I did that with our nursery--we just bought a bunch of cheap books (that we didn't mind cutting up) on half.com, carefully cut out the pages we wanted, mounted on colored cardstock, and stuck them in colorful 8x10 frames from ikea. They get knocked down so much (kids bouncing off the walls, etc) that I'm glad they don't have glass and can be easily replaced. Right now we have a collection of 8 different prints all arranged together on one wall, so even though they're small on their own, they take up a good amount of space. I'll try to post a pic of some of them. Hmm, can't figure out how to get it in the text, but maybe an attachment will work.

newg
01-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I would be okay with cutting out pages of a book to hang on a wall.......maybe save the rest and then you can take it to kinkos/staples later on and have them turn it into a spiral bound book....

You could go to a michales/jo ann and either have them make custom frames for you (and they usually run 50-60% off sales), you might be able to build your own.....or get a regular size frame and then have a mat board cut to fit the picture inside the frame. I've gone this route a few times with oddly sized pictures and it seems the cheapest.

Like pp mentioned, if you cluster the frames together, it will make for a bigger picture over all.

Liziz
01-02-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't know if this will work everywhere, or if I was able to just "get away" with it, but a year or two ago I needed to make a large copy of something that was copyrighted, and wanted it larger than I could copy on my own. Like you said, Kinkos wouldn't take the book and copy it. However -- I made a color copy of the page I needed blown up, and asked Kinkos to enlarge the copy for me (rather than the page from the actual book). They were willing to take and enlarge my copy, even though they couldn't do it with the book itself. (I didn't tell the person what my copy was from, I just gave them the page and told them what size I wanted to make it).

katydid1971
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Here is a print from the book you could buy. I might have this one large print then just have the other artwork cut from the book.
http://www.art.com/products/p1024702288-sa-i4091548/little-engine-that-could.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=0&ui=243ce9699deb4e9fb7e25ffaebb172d4&searchstring=the+little+engine+that+could

elbenn
01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I bought a used Dick and Jane book and used a few pages to frame and kept the rest of the book for reading. I had a wide custom mat done in red and then framed the pictures in blue frames. I kept the words from the page as part of the picture so it made the picture larger. It turned out really cute.