PDA

View Full Version : Winter Coat too big...buy new one?

khalloc
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
So DS was wearing his size 3T LL Bean Parka when it started getting cold out. But there was no way that thing would fit him once he had to put snow pants underneath it. So my mom bought him a new LL Bean winter coat. She compared the size 4 to the 5/6 and said it was just a tiny bit larger and bought him a 5/6. He is 3.5. I dont mind getting coats a little big. Its usually what I do so that the coat will last 2 years. But this coat seems so big on him. I cant change it now because he's worn it. Plus I think the size 4 will only be good for 1 season. he will be 4 in April. And right now he's 39.5" and maybe like 38 pounds.

Do you think I should get him a used coat on ebay? Or just let him wear the larger coat and not worry about it. I found a size 4 LLBean coat for $26 with shipping on ebay.

arivecchi
12-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Get him an LE one. They have 30% off and free shipping today with code SANTA and PIN 1212. Not as nice as LLBean, but pretty nice and so practical.

kevinsmama
12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
I'd just let him wear it... My 3 year old son is 34 inches tall and weighs 32 pounds so he can still fit into 2T but he's wearing 4T-equivalent outerwear (we use Hanna and Patagonia) now by turning back the cuffs. Can you fold the sleeves on your size-5/6 LL Bean coat? If so, I'd just let him wear that and just skip 4T jackets/coats.

I think our friend's son was about the same height/weight as your DS when he was also 3-1/2 and our friend let him wear a size 5/6 jacket made by Patagonia. It was big on him but the design of the jacket easily allowed folding of the cuffs so she just did that the first season.

Dr C
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Not sure how regularly you need snow pants, but on days when you're not playing in the snow, can you just put him in the 3T one and use the big one for the snowy days?

Kindra178
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
So DS was wearing his size 3T LL Bean Parka when it started getting cold out. But there was no way that thing would fit him once he had to put snow pants underneath it. So my mom bought him a new LL Bean winter coat. She compared the size 4 to the 5/6 and said it was just a tiny bit larger and bought him a 5/6. He is 3.5. I dont mind getting coats a little big. Its usually what I do so that the coat will last 2 years. But this coat seems so big on him. I cant change it now because he's worn it. Plus I think the size 4 will only be good for 1 season. he will be 4 in April. And right now he's 39.5" and maybe like 38 pounds.

Do you think I should get him a used coat on ebay? Or just let him wear the larger coat and not worry about it. I found a size 4 LLBean coat for $26 with shipping on ebay.

IS the coat so big such that it impedes movement? Could he climb on playground equipment/run, etc?

DS2 is wearing an LLB Down Jacket (in orange) this winter, size 5/6. He is similar stats to your DS. I rolled the sleeves. It fits more parka length than jacket length, which works well for our winters here in Chi. DS2 also has an LLB sherpa lined hoodie in the same size. DS3 is tiny (36.5 inches/30 pounds) and is wearing a Size 4 LLB Down Jacket. It actually fits them similarly. I hope they both get 2-3 years from them. I could see if your mom got him a parka length coat how it might be too long.

If you do buy him an LE Squall Parka, definitely go with the 4 though. LE runs big. DS2 fits perfectly in his 4 Squall, especially because I cinched the waist. I got DS3 a 3t Squall. That's also perfect.

khalloc
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I guess thats the problem. His daycare isnt folding the cuffs. I'll try doing that and see if they stay back on their own. He wore the 3T jacket when he was about 19 months old. I like buying a nice coat (LL Bean) but only if I can get 2 years out of it. this one I might be able to get 3.

I just hate to buy the 4 because I think it could be too tight next year.

JElaineB
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Personally I would buy him a new coat. You can use the bigger one next year. I always buy LE Squalls (when he was younger parkas, now jackets which DS prefers). I only plan to get one season out of a coat size-wise, so if I get two that is a bonus. LE coats do have grow-a-long sleeves, which means you can make the sleeves longer next year if he is taller but not wider.

HIU8
12-13-2011, 01:38 PM
If it isn't interfering with his movement/play etc... I would just have him wear it this season and know that it will also fit next season. My DD is 4 (44 lbs and about 45 inches). Her winter coat is a 7/8 this year (she wears a 6x in clothes). It is big. It is parka length on her now and has room for layers underneath, and I have to fold up the cuffs. But, when I compared the 5/6, the sleeves were the same length but the coat was about 3 inches shorter (so I opted for the length).

Kindra178
12-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Personally I would buy him a new coat. You can use the bigger one next year. I always buy LE Squalls (when he was younger parkas, now jackets which DS prefers). I only plan to get one season out of a coat size-wise, so if I get two that is a bonus. LE coats do have grow-a-long sleeves, which means you can make the sleeves longer next year if he is taller but not wider.

Dumb Question of the day: is the Squall jacket warm enough? Do you live in a super cold environment? I am hoping to get an end of season deal on a Squall for DS1. I presume he would prefer a jacket to a parka, especially next year.

JElaineB
12-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Dumb Question of the day: is the Squall jacket warm enough? Do you live in a super cold environment? I am hoping to get an end of season deal on a Squall for DS1. I presume he would prefer a jacket to a parka, especially next year.

I live in Iowa where we usually have a week of -20 degree weather and it is warm enough for that (along with snowpants, hat, gloves). DS likes the jackets becuase they are shorter and easier for him to reach down and zip himself, plus it seems the zippers are bigger on the jackets for some reason (and thus easier to use), most years anyway.

khalloc
12-13-2011, 02:16 PM
The coat we have is the LL Bean Katahdin Parka. I think I will just try rolling the sleeves. I really dont want to buy a new coat that will be too small next year. We are in Vermont. So far its a mild winter.