PDA

View Full Version : The "Clementine" book series

citymama
12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I see a lot of posts in the stocking stuffers thread from people saying they're buying this for their DDs. (ETA - Hah! I just realized they mean a REAL clementine - d'oh!!! Still, read on...)

It looks like an awesome book and I'm thinking of getting the 3 book boxed set for my 5.5 year old reader. Looking at the reviews on amazon, people comment that she wants to smoke cigars and a few other things that seem outdated, not to mention inappropriate messaging. If you've had this book, can you comment on the appropriateness of it? Clem seems like Frances grown up!

Beth24
12-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Hmmm. My 8 yo read those...embarrassed to say I didn't check them out very carefully--she got the series from the school library. I will ask her after school about it and report back. Is your DD in Kindergarten?

MommyofAmaya
12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I see a lot of posts in the stocking stuffers thread from people saying they're buying this for their DDs. (ETA - Hah! I just realized they mean a REAL clementine - d'oh!!! Still, read on...)

:hysterical: I have wondered about the series too, but haven't looked into it so interested in the responses.

Beth24
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I can say that my DD really iked the series! Oh oh, should I be worried?

giavila
12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I bought the 3 book set for my dd as a stocking stuffer. I went with the recommendations in previous threads that it's a good read for a 7 year old and the mostly all positive reviews on Amazon.

annex
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I read and loved these books. I can't recall anything inappropriate. I think the stories/characters/tone are closer to the Ramona book series. I would definitely give them to any girl in the K-3 age range.

lmintzer
12-14-2011, 10:00 AM
My 8 year-old started the series last year and is reading one of them now. I didn't screen them too carefully, but they were a pick of his 1st grade teacher last year whom I trusted.

brittone2
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
DS1 read the first one a year or two ago I believe. I am pretty selective in what I let them watch on screens, but I am pretty liberal in what I let him read. It didn't register as something to worry about, but I'll admit I didn't prescreen or anything.

Beth24
12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Take this for what it's worth, but my 8 YO DD said there wasn't anything inappropriate!