PDA

View Full Version : Make Ahead breakfast casseroles?

Melaine
12-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Or any other ideas? I am having a semi-panicky moment when I realized I am leaving town tomorrow morning and coming back early Sunday morning. Sunday we'll be heading over to a friend's for a big holiday meal that I will be helping with. The next morning I will be serving brunch for a small family get-together (6 or 8 people). I'm just realizing what a time crunch it will be and I have so much to do to pack between now and tomorrow! (and I have errands all day today and promised to take the girls to see Christmas lights tonight!) Yeesh....

back to the point! Any make-the-night-before casseroles. I would love to do one savory and one sweet, have some fruit, juice and coffee and call it good? Or any other suggestions? I could do waffles but not sure how well I can keep them warm until they are all finished.

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2011, 08:53 AM
We usually do quiche or mini frittatas and a French toast casserole + fruit, breakfast meat and mimosas on Christmas morning. :)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/mini-frittatas-recipe/index.html
I have never made the praline topping for this- it seems like overkill. But I bet it would be good. I always use challah bread for my f.t. casserole:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-french-toast-casserole-with-maple-syrup-recipe2/index.html

Costco has some good brown and serve sausage patties in the frozen section. I usually add some maple syrup to the pan while the heat up. If you make bacon, do it in the oven so you don't have to tend to it much.

Beth

wencit
12-14-2011, 09:06 AM
I've made the French toast casserole that Beth linked to (praline topping and all!), and it's so yummy.

Here's a sausage and egg casserole that gets rave reviews every time I make it:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sausage-and-Egg-Casserole-with-Sun-Dried-Tomatoes-and-Mozzarella-106411

DietCokeLover
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I make a very basic sausage, egg and cheese casserole at Christmas, but my recipe is at home and we are in FL ight now. However, I have seen a post floating around on Pinterest for one that you cook in a crockpot.

We have also made Paua Deen's French toast casserole and DH loves it.

You could also do a monkey bread.

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2011, 09:08 AM
I've made the French toast casserole that Beth linked to (praline topping and all!), and it's so yummy.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sausage-and-Egg-Casserole-with-Sun-Dried-Tomatoes-and-Mozzarella-106411

So, I've gotta know, is the topping delicious? It looks like it!!

Melaine
12-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys...I will check these out. If I can at least decide and buy the ingredients before I leave that will take the pressure off.

I think I will do a monkey bread, those are easy and my girls would think it was the greatest thing ever, I'm sure.

wencit
12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
So, I've gotta know, is the topping delicious? It looks like it!!Butter + sugar + nuts + more sugar + more butter? Of course it's delicious! How could it not be? :ROTFLMAO:

erv917
12-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Butter + sugar + nuts + more sugar + more butter? Of course it's delicious! How could it not be? :ROTFLMAO:

I agree, this recipe is yummy! I actually lighten it up a bit (it's still plenty decadent, though!). I reduce the half and half to one cup, and use skim/low fat for the milk. I reduce the number of eggs to 6. For the topping, I reduce to "only" one stick of butter, and reduce the brown sugar a bit (to about 3/4 of a cup). The recipe as it is written is just crazy rich!!

jerigirl
12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
We have had this Amish breakfast casserole (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Breakfast-Casserole/Detail.aspx) a few times and it is really good. It has bacon instead of the usual sausage.

brittone2
12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
sweet or savory?

we do a savory one with browned sausage and ground beef (50/50). Melt in a pack of cream cheese while it is still warm. Stir that in well to distribute it.

Saute mushrooms, peppers, onions (can skip the mushrooms if you wish) until soft.

Mix veggies and meat/cream cheese mixture, pour into prepared 9x13.

Whisk up maybe 6 eggs and pour over meat/veggie mix.

Top with your fav shredded cheese. Bake til egg portion done in the middle which is roughly half an hour.

If you like spicy it is good with hot sauce added or on the side.

icunurse
12-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I've made this several times and it is easy, basic, and good.....
Breakfast Casserole

1 lb mild pork sausage
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups cubed bread, crusts
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

Brown sausage in a medium skillet over low heat. Drain grease and set aside to cool. Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl; add milk, mustard and salt and blend well. Stir in bread crusts, add sausage and cheese and mix well. Pour into a shallow, 2-qt glass baking dish and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, preheat oven to 350° and bake casserole for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature.

I am doing a trial run of this one this weekend. It looks and sounds good!!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/overnight-blueberry-french-toast/detail.aspx

Ladybug47
12-15-2011, 11:09 PM
16 slices of sturdy bread (not Wonder Bread and not bakery bread -- somewhere in between)
1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
1 qt whole milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
12 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter

Butter a lasagna pan. Butter both sides of bread slices, put one layer in pan and cover with half the grated cheddar cheese. Layer the rest of the bread, and the rest of the cheese. -OR- cube all bread, put in pan, cover with grated cheese.
Mix milk, dry mustard, salt, eggs, and butter. Pour over bread and cheese. Let set overnight in refrigerator.
Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Can also add a layer of dry cereal mixed with 1/4 melted butter,
Can add mushrooms, crumbled cooked bacon, onion, etc.

Serves 8 - 10.

Good stuff!

Smillow
12-16-2011, 07:38 AM
We like to do 2 casseroles, one sweet, one savory. We have used Pannetone for the bread in the sweet one - yummy! I have also used frozen, leftover banana bread that didn't work out (baking powder issue) and it turned out great.

Tondi G
12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
I got this recipe here a year or 2 ago... haven't made it yet... thats how often we entertain for "brunch". I actually got roped into doing brunch on Christmas Day this year so I might just try it finally!

Sausage and Egg Casserole

6 slices bread, cubed (wheat or other firm bread, such as slightly stale works best)
1 lb. sausage, browned and drained
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
8 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Cube bread and place evenly in a greased 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle with sausage and cheese. Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over top of ingredients in pan. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking to take the chill off. Bake at 325* for 45-60 minutes until eggs are set.

Serves 8 to 10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Dh's cousin sent this to me and said it is incredible

BAKED FRENCH TOAST SOUFFLE

Ingredients
• 10 cups white bread cubes
• 1 (8 ounce) package lowfat cream cheese, softened
• 8 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
• 1/2 cup maple syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

Directions
1. Place bread cubes in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in milk, half and half, maple syrup, and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture over the bread; cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next morning, remove souffle from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and serve warm.

Alternate suggestions: In a SMALL bowl, stir 4 OZ of softened cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter, and 1/4 c syrup. Then simply microwave for a minute. Pour over bread cubes (make sure pan is generously buttered so that souffle will "rise." I've used all kinds of bread). Combine six eggs, 3/4 t vanilla, and 1 1/2 c half-and-half. Pour over the top, sprinkle cinnamon over it, and refrigerate overnight. Cook for an hour.
Alternate time: bake covered for 30 minutes then remove cover and bake additional 15 minutes

lowrioh
12-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I just made 2 pans of this Baked French Toast for our Office Christmas brunch and everyone wanted the recipe.
The only thing I changed was that I used 2 cups of half and half (no milk) and I baked it covered for 20 min and then uncovered for 20 min (a reviewer made these suggestions).
Super easy and delicious...but probably one of the most unhealthy things I have eaten this year.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-french-toast-2/detail.aspx

MamaSnoo
12-17-2011, 07:53 AM

I had the same question as the OP!

This one looks so good to me. Do you think I could "lighten it up" ;) a little by using 2 cups half-and half in place of the 1 cup H/H and 1 cup heavy cream?

Melaine
12-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Thank you everyone! Our out of town trip was cancelled, which honestly was a relief! So I don't have to rush around at the last minute trying to get stuff together. I will figure out what to make today and I will have time to go to the grocery store like a civilized person (rather than requesting things from DH over the phone while at my parents!). Thanks for all these recipes, they are making me very hungry!!!

Melbel
12-17-2011, 08:36 AM
This blueberry french toast recipe is always a winner with many people asking for the recipe. It is also very easy to make.

Blueberry Oven French Toast presented by The Liberty Hill Inn
Ingredients:
Italian bread (large loaf)
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups half & half
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon oil or 1 Tbls. lemon zest
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
Topping:
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups blueberries, rinsed, sorted and stemmed
Butter a 13 x 9 Pyrex baking dish
Slice Italian Bread 3/4" - 1"
Arrange bread slices in pan
Mix eggs, vanilla, milk, 1/2 & 1/2, lemon oil, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl
Pour over bread
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
Next morning:
Liberally sprinkle fruit on top of bread
Mix butter & brown sugar with pastry blender or fork
Sprinkle topping over fruit and bread mixture
Bake for 40 minutes @ 350 degrees
Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve warm

Melaine
12-23-2011, 08:40 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for the recipes and tips! I will consult this thread in the future because I like doing breakfast for entertaining...it's a simple meal to make for guests. I made Tondi G's Sausage Egg & Cheese casserole, only I substituted ham because we had a spiral ham from the day before. It was yummy and super easy, which was exactly what I needed under the circumstances. I ended up buying muffins from Sam's which were delicious and also surprisingly cheap (IIRC $7 for a dozen and they were GINORMOUS). Added some turkey bacon, fruit, coffee, juice, and it was easy-peasy and yummy. Maybe next time I'll try something a little fancier but I could hardly concentrate on Monday because I was having my ultrasound later that day!

wencit
12-23-2011, 09:11 AM
This one looks so good to me. Do you think I could "lighten it up" ;) a little by using 2 cups half-and half in place of the 1 cup H/H and 1 cup heavy cream?Oops, sorry I didn't see this until now! Yes, you can definitely use 2 cups half-and-half. I don't think you will notice much of a difference.