PDA

View Full Version : Help me prepare for our Hawaii trip

babyfiorina1
12-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Well, we are going to Hawaii end of next month for 9 days for vacation. This is going to be our first airplane ride ever since DD was born. I know I should be excited and I am, but at the same time I'm also nervous thinking about our by-then-14-month-old DD, the 8-hour airplane ride and 9 days over there in Hawaii... I'm freaking out and so many things suddenly rush into my head as of what to prepare and how to deal with this toddler who can't stay put for even 1 second *scratching head*

1. Do I need to get a car seat, if so what would be appropriate for a 14-month old and can you gate-check this ? we are renting a car or I can rent car seat from the car rental place ? Would you recommend so ?
We have BJCM stroller and we plan to gate check that. So I guess we're taken care of for the stroller part.

2. The sleeping part. DD will only sleep in her crib, which is kinda good, but traveling-wise, not sure how she would react). We have reserved the pack and play from the hotel. Anything else I left out ?

3. Food-wise, I know I'll prepare plenty of her favorite snacks for the airplane ride, but for the next 9 days, would you bring anything for that ?

4. I probably also need lots of toys/books for distraction in the airplane, any recommendation ?

and of course anything else I need to take note of ?

Thank you as always for sharing.

connor_mommy
12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
1. If she has her own plane seat, I would install her carseat in it. She would be more comfortable, especially when she falls asleep. DS was 18 months when we took him to Hawaii, and we told him that he needed to stay in his seat for the plane ride. We might have taken him out to let him stretch, but he napped and played in his seat most of the time.

2. We co-slept, so I can't answer your question. But bring your own sheets for her.

3. What island are you going to? You should be able to get the foods that she likes there. If you're going to Maui, check out Mana Foods in Paia. Oahu has Target and Whole Foods. Also, buy milk at the airport just in case the plane doesn't have any. I usually grab a couple of the kind that doesn't require refrigeration.

4. Make sure to have her favorite toy or lovie for the plane ride. You can try some new snacks as a distraction. A new book, some new toys and post it notes are a few things that come to mind to keep her occupied.

babyfiorina1
12-14-2011, 09:30 PM
1. If she has her own plane seat, I would install her carseat in it. She would be more comfortable, especially when she falls asleep. DS was 18 months when we took him to Hawaii, and we told him that he needed to stay in his seat for the plane ride. We might have taken him out to let him stretch, but he napped and played in his seat most of the time.

2. We co-slept, so I can't answer your question. But bring your own sheets for her.

3. What island are you going to? You should be able to get the foods that she likes there. If you're going to Maui, check out Mana Foods in Paia. Oahu has Target and Whole Foods. Also, buy milk at the airport just in case the plane doesn't have any. I usually grab a couple of the kind that doesn't require refrigeration.

4. Make sure to have her favorite toy or lovie for the plane ride. You can try some new snacks as a distraction. A new book, some new toys and post it notes are a few things that come to mind to keep her occupied.

Actually DD won't have her own seat :/ I don't know if we will regret this or not!

We are going to Kauai and Oahu. Thanks, I'll take note on the milk.

mom2binsd
12-14-2011, 11:46 PM
DO NOT RENT A CAR SEAT..so many reasons not too, but you could end up with a piece of junk, with missing pieces, no manual, who knows what type of stains.....

If possible get the baby as tired as possible before the flight so she konks out.

Bring your carseat right to the gate, perch it ontop of your stroller while going through the airport, you may get lucky and there will be an empty/extra seat and they will let you take your carseat on board and use it, I can't imagine holding a 14 month old for that length of time.

At that age I always installed the carseat rearfacing as the baby faces you rather than having the seat in front of them right in their face (and the seatback ripe for kicking). They are more likely to fall asleep RF and less likely to drop things when RF, BUt for such a long flight it's an inconvenience for the person in front (but then again so is a kicking/unhappy baby lol).

Bring extra clothes for you and baby, babies have this knack of throwing up on you right off the bat and nobody wants to sit for 8 hours in a stinky shirt.

Does she like Baby Einstein type video's, you could let her watch those on a portable DVD player.

At the hotel, open the pack n play right away, check for mold/stains etc, and ask for another if it's dirty. I would almost order one and have it shipped to the hotel so you'd have new one, and give to the hotel when you're done. Always bring your own sheets, if you buy a new set of pack n play sheets wash them first.

Do you need to heat bottles for her, at that age my kids only liked warm milk so I had a small bottle warmer that I brought, it also worked to heat up jars of baby food.

Use your stroller as a high chair in the hotel room, or bring one of those portable high chairs that you can strap to any chair.

I'm jealous, Hawaii sounds just about heavenly right about now, have fun!

babyfiorina1
12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
DO NOT RENT A CAR SEAT..so many reasons not too, but you could end up with a piece of junk, with missing pieces, no manual, who knows what type of stains.....

If possible get the baby as tired as possible before the flight so she konks out.

Bring your carseat right to the gate, perch it ontop of your stroller while going through the airport, you may get lucky and there will be an empty/extra seat and they will let you take your carseat on board and use it, I can't imagine holding a 14 month old for that length of time.

At that age I always installed the carseat rearfacing as the baby faces you rather than having the seat in front of them right in their face (and the seatback ripe for kicking). They are more likely to fall asleep RF and less likely to drop things when RF, BUt for such a long flight it's an inconvenience for the person in front (but then again so is a kicking/unhappy baby lol).

Bring extra clothes for you and baby, babies have this knack of throwing up on you right off the bat and nobody wants to sit for 8 hours in a stinky shirt.

Does she like Baby Einstein type video's, you could let her watch those on a portable DVD player.

At the hotel, open the pack n play right away, check for mold/stains etc, and ask for another if it's dirty. I would almost order one and have it shipped to the hotel so you'd have new one, and give to the hotel when you're done. Always bring your own sheets, if you buy a new set of pack n play sheets wash them first.

Do you need to heat bottles for her, at that age my kids only liked warm milk so I had a small bottle warmer that I brought, it also worked to heat up jars of baby food.

Use your stroller as a high chair in the hotel room, or bring one of those portable high chairs that you can strap to any chair.

I'm jealous, Hawaii sounds just about heavenly right about now, have fun!

Thank you so much for the input. That means we still need to bring our car seat along and we have the Safety 1st Deluxe Alpha Omega Elite and if we do decide to purchase a seat for DD, it's not FAA-approved :/

She likes the baby signing time DVD, so I'll bring that along to keep her entertained.

babyfiorina1
12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Btw, just saw this I just saw this http://www.kidsflysafe.com/buy-cares-choice and wonder if anyone use this before and would share their experience.

connor_mommy
12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
We did. It was nice to not have to lug a carseat onto the airplane. We used it two years ago on DS#2. He was 3 at the time. I felt bad for him when he fell asleep. He just did not look comfortable. But your child needs to have her own plane seat in order to use it. How long will your flight be? I would bring the carseat to the gate to see if they have an extra seat. If they don't then just gate check it along with your stroller.

legaleagle
12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
The cosco scenera is often recommended as a travel carseat because it's lightweight and cheap (can generally find for <$50). It'll last most kids for several years because it's decent sized and goes to 40 lbs rear and ff'ing.

Have fun, I love Hawaii, esp Kauai (I eloped on Poipu beach :))

babyfiorina1
12-15-2011, 11:34 AM
We did. It was nice to not have to lug a carseat onto the airplane. We used it two years ago on DS#2. He was 3 at the time. I felt bad for him when he fell asleep. He just did not look comfortable. But your child needs to have her own plane seat in order to use it. How long will your flight be? I would bring the carseat to the gate to see if they have an extra seat. If they don't then just gate check it along with your stroller.
We're thinking of getting DD her own seat now. From what I read airlines usually provide 50% off adult fare for children under 2 ?

The flight is going to be about 8 hours, so, yeah...I'm already having headache thinking about her on our laps!!

I just measured our car seat and it's already 20-inch in width and I think major airlines allowed up to 16-inch in width for car seats ? I guess, we need to get another one, should've thought about this when purchasing car seat because we might have another overseas trip coming up end of year :/

babyfiorina1
12-15-2011, 11:35 AM
The cosco scenera is often recommended as a travel carseat because it's lightweight and cheap (can generally find for <$50). It'll last most kids for several years because it's decent sized and goes to 40 lbs rear and ff'ing.

Have fun, I love Hawaii, esp Kauai (I eloped on Poipu beach :))

Thank you, I'll check into that and for the price I think that's very affordable.

mom2binsd
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
You could also look at the Evenflo Tribute it's another good travel seat.

Even a Britax Roundabout 55, it's sooo easy to install (especially with the lockoffs if you do seatbelt install/and the latch connectors are "alligator" type which make the latch install super easy). If you got this seat I bet you might even prefer it to your current seat once you return, it's a great great seat with many features that the Alpha is lacking. I bet you could find one for close to 125 on sale.

The Cosco Scenera can be a pain to install RF, let alone in a car you aren't familiar with.

mom2binsd
12-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Btw, just saw this I just saw this http://www.kidsflysafe.com/buy-cares-choice and wonder if anyone use this before and would share their experience.

She's too small, and it's a pain from what I hear from others.

mackmama
12-15-2011, 11:23 PM
I just returned from Hawaii with 11mo DC. Here's what helped us the most:

- http://www.amazon.com/Yookidoo-Tote-Along-Musical-Mirror/dp/B0039MJ5DO
This toy is AMAZING. You push the lever, and it plays music and the lights play in a sequence. The lights, music, and mirror totally entertain DC. What's great is that you can also turn the music off so when you push the lever only the lights display. It's also a bag so you can store some other toys/snacks in it too. DC looooves this toy. (We also attach it to the headrest in the car so DC plays with it when in the carseat.) I think a 14mo would still like this toy.

- I bought a few toys that DC had never seen before for both flights. This was a favorite: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Discover-Sounds-Phone/dp/B0027ZGXR0

-Feed DC some liquids on takeoff and when first descending to help the ears.

-Bring snacks like puffs, cheerios, banana, etc.

-I wouldn't advise using a rental carseat. You never know how it's been treated. I'd just bring your own and gate-check it with your stroller.

-We gate-checked the stroller and carseat. It's super easy. When we got to security, we had to put them both through the scanner. If they don't fit, security will hand-wand them. When you get to your gate, ask the gate check-in person if there is an extra seat you can have to use with your carseat. You might luck out and get a free seat. If no seat is available and you gate-check your seat, I liked to put it and the stroller in (separate) red gate-check bags so they stay clean. http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Gate-Check-Bag-Seats/dp/B000RRD7UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323977487&sr=8-1 They were waiting for us when we got off the plane.

-Since it's flu season, we wiped down everything DC could touch (seatbelts, window, seat tray, armrests, etc).

-We brought our own bedding for the hotel crib. We hoped that familiar bedding might ease the transition for DC. The first couple of nights were tough, but then DC adjusted. You might also want to bring a noise machine if you use one at home.

-We had diapers, wipes, formula, and some solids delivered by diapers.com to the hotel. It was so much easier than having to pack everything. We actually didn't end up using the solids though as there were plenty of foods to please DC (who loved the fresh papaya, mango, fish, etc).

-A window seat might be easier if your DC will be on your lap. There will be more room, and our DC likes looking out the window.

-We brought the Kidco GoPod which was a lifesaver. DC used it in our hotel room (doubled as a highchair) and on the beach. We used the stroller a lot too - rolled DC right up to the table at restaurants and all around the resort.

You all will do great. Also remember that it's not a big deal if your DC cries. Don't let it stress you out in terms of the other passengers. People are used to babies crying on planes and, if anyone gives you the stink eye, they just need to chill! :)

babyfiorina1
12-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I just returned from Hawaii with 11mo DC. Here's what helped us the most:

- http://www.amazon.com/Yookidoo-Tote-Along-Musical-Mirror/dp/B0039MJ5DO
This toy is AMAZING. You push the lever, and it plays music and the lights play in a sequence. The lights, music, and mirror totally entertain DC. What's great is that you can also turn the music off so when you push the lever only the lights display. It's also a bag so you can store some other toys/snacks in it too. DC looooves this toy. (We also attach it to the headrest in the car so DC plays with it when in the carseat.) I think a 14mo would still like this toy.

- I bought a few toys that DC had never seen before for both flights. This was a favorite: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Discover-Sounds-Phone/dp/B0027ZGXR0

-Feed DC some liquids on takeoff and when first descending to help the ears.

-Bring snacks like puffs, cheerios, banana, etc.

-I wouldn't advise using a rental carseat. You never know how it's been treated. I'd just bring your own and gate-check it with your stroller.

-We gate-checked the stroller and carseat. It's super easy. When we got to security, we had to put them both through the scanner. If they don't fit, security will hand-wand them. When you get to your gate, ask the gate check-in person if there is an extra seat you can have to use with your carseat. You might luck out and get a free seat. If no seat is available and you gate-check your seat, I liked to put it and the stroller in (separate) red gate-check bags so they stay clean. http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Gate-Check-Bag-Seats/dp/B000RRD7UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323977487&sr=8-1 They were waiting for us when we got off the plane.

-Since it's flu season, we wiped down everything DC could touch (seatbelts, window, seat tray, armrests, etc).

-We brought our own bedding for the hotel crib. We hoped that familiar bedding might ease the transition for DC. The first couple of nights were tough, but then DC adjusted. You might also want to bring a noise machine if you use one at home.

-We had diapers, wipes, formula, and some solids delivered by diapers.com to the hotel. It was so much easier than having to pack everything. We actually didn't end up using the solids though as there were plenty of foods to please DC (who loved the fresh papaya, mango, fish, etc).

-A window seat might be easier if your DC will be on your lap. There will be more room, and our DC likes looking out the window.

-We brought the Kidco GoPod which was a lifesaver. DC used it in our hotel room (doubled as a highchair) and on the beach. We used the stroller a lot too - rolled DC right up to the table at restaurants and all around the resort.

You all will do great. Also remember that it's not a big deal if your DC cries. Don't let it stress you out in terms of the other passengers. People are used to babies crying on planes and, if anyone gives you the stink eye, they just need to chill! :)

Mackmama, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm more confident now with this whole traveling thing. I was already a bit stressed out about the whole trip, afraid that DD wouldn't cope well with the trip and stuff. and yes...the crying part too, I'm sure she will off and on, she's a baby afterall.

We're definitely bringing our own car seat now and will gate check along with the stroller if there's no empty seat for us to use the car seat.

babyfiorina1
12-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing, you guys do make me feel more comfortable now and I kinda get an idea what I need to bring with this trip.

Since we will be bringing our own car seat and now we might get either cosco scenera or the Evenflo tribute, how do you guys carry it at the airport ? We have BJCM and we can put it on top of the stroller and bungee cord it. DD is not walking on her own yet and since the stroller is occupied by the car seat, I"m wondering how should we manage it. I'll be taking diaper bag and perhaps either hubby and I can carry DD. Hubby have one carry on with his lap top too.

Any better suggestion ?

connor_mommy
12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Do you have a baby carrier? If you do, then she can be worn and your hands will be free. I'm not sure if you have an umbrella stroller, like a Mac. We had a Chicco one that our Marathon sat on top perfectly.

new_mommy25
12-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing, you guys do make me feel more comfortable now and I kinda get an idea what I need to bring with this trip.

Since we will be bringing our own car seat and now we might get either cosco scenera or the Evenflo tribute, how do you guys carry it at the airport ? We have BJCM and we can put it on top of the stroller and bungee cord it. DD is not walking on her own yet and since the stroller is occupied by the car seat, I"m wondering how should we manage it. I'll be taking diaper bag and perhaps either hubby and I can carry DD. Hubby have one carry on with his lap top too.

Any better suggestion ?

I have traveled many times when the kids were small, many times by myself. What I do is put the car seat on the stroller and carry the baby in a pack (ergo, beco, etc.) I would usually strap them on my back but even on the front is fine. I would load up the stroller with my diaper bag, purse, everything, so the only thing I had to carry was the baby. If your stroller can't handle the bags on the handlebars, just put them in the car seat. I had a P3 which could handle a heavy load. I had a carry bag for the car seat but you can ask at the gate for a clear plastic bag if you don't have one. I actually preferred traveling with the Britax when the kids were younger and rear facing because the install was sooooo easy. It's heavier, yes, but since the stroller was carrying it it wasn't such a big deal. Also, if there is a seat available, they will let you take the seat on the plane. When my kids were older and FF I did buy the Scenera only because it is lighter. They are also cheap ($40sih) so I didn't have to worry about what might happen if it was damaged. With the Sceneras I would actually just luggage check at curb side check in - made going through security that much easier!

I second the snacks. Puffs are great! Freeze dried fruits were also a winner with my kids (trader joes, gerber, just tomatoes), boxes of raisins, Mum Mums, etc. I would bring their sippy cups and fill with water after we got through security. New toys are always good, as are board books, especially touch and feel or lift the flaps. Of course we didn't have stuff like iphone/itouch/ipad when my kids were small and I think that would have been so much easier to keep them occupied! I used to travel with a portable DVD player which is so much heavier!

Bring 3x as many diapers as you think you might need. You never know what might happen. The plane could get delayed and you don't want to be stuck. I always traveled with the DadGear backpack and it is amazing!! It fits an incredible amount of stuff and is so organized. There is a sling for diapers in the top and at the bottom you can put a pack of wipes so they are literally at your fingertips when you need one. I highly recommend.

I would pack snacks and diapers in my luggage. The diapers take up very little room if you open the package. Stick them wherever they fit! I always found that a little easier. There are lots of grocery stores in Hawaii but you don't know if they may have your DC's favorite. Which island are you going to?

viba424
12-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Do you have to bring any identification for your child for a domestic flight? i.e. birth certificate, etc?

abh5e8
12-18-2011, 12:12 AM
i've also flown many times with a lap child under 2...and the only time i need the BC was when i flew Southwest. funny part is, ds was all of 17 days old. haha. i'm sure it was just to prove he was indeed mine and not that they thought he was over 2 years old.

i could call your airline and check on the requirements.

babyfiorina1
12-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Do you have a baby carrier? If you do, then she can be worn and your hands will be free. I'm not sure if you have an umbrella stroller, like a Mac. We had a Chicco one that our Marathon sat on top perfectly.

I have a beco. I've forgotten about it and put it away ever since DD was 8-month old :)
We have BJCM as our "lightweight" stroller and we plan to bring that and sit the car seat on top of it.

babyfiorina1
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I have traveled many times when the kids were small, many times by myself. What I do is put the car seat on the stroller and carry the baby in a pack (ergo, beco, etc.) I would usually strap them on my back but even on the front is fine. I would load up the stroller with my diaper bag, purse, everything, so the only thing I had to carry was the baby. If your stroller can't handle the bags on the handlebars, just put them in the car seat. I had a P3 which could handle a heavy load. I had a carry bag for the car seat but you can ask at the gate for a clear plastic bag if you don't have one. I actually preferred traveling with the Britax when the kids were younger and rear facing because the install was sooooo easy. It's heavier, yes, but since the stroller was carrying it it wasn't such a big deal. Also, if there is a seat available, they will let you take the seat on the plane. When my kids were older and FF I did buy the Scenera only because it is lighter. They are also cheap ($40sih) so I didn't have to worry about what might happen if it was damaged. With the Sceneras I would actually just luggage check at curb side check in - made going through security that much easier!

I second the snacks. Puffs are great! Freeze dried fruits were also a winner with my kids (trader joes, gerber, just tomatoes), boxes of raisins, Mum Mums, etc. I would bring their sippy cups and fill with water after we got through security. New toys are always good, as are board books, especially touch and feel or lift the flaps. Of course we didn't have stuff like iphone/itouch/ipad when my kids were small and I think that would have been so much easier to keep them occupied! I used to travel with a portable DVD player which is so much heavier!

Bring 3x as many diapers as you think you might need. You never know what might happen. The plane could get delayed and you don't want to be stuck. I always traveled with the DadGear backpack and it is amazing!! It fits an incredible amount of stuff and is so organized. There is a sling for diapers in the top and at the bottom you can put a pack of wipes so they are literally at your fingertips when you need one. I highly recommend.

I would pack snacks and diapers in my luggage. The diapers take up very little room if you open the package. Stick them wherever they fit! I always found that a little easier. There are lots of grocery stores in Hawaii but you don't know if they may have your DC's favorite. Which island are you going to?

I usually have my diaper bag hanged on the handle bar of the BJCM (even though the warning on the bar said we shouldn't) ;b but it can handle the diaper bag there.

I'll get a cover for car seat then. Thank you so much for sharing.
We're going to Kauai and Oahu probably (this part not confirmed yet)

babyfiorina1
12-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Do you have to bring any identification for your child for a domestic flight? i.e. birth certificate, etc?

Well, I won't bring birth certificate, but DD has a passport. We made one for her because we planned to fly to other country when she was 4-month old, but that didn't happen.

new_mommy25
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I usually have my diaper bag hanged on the handle bar of the BJCM (even though the warning on the bar said we shouldn't) ;b but it can handle the diaper bag there.

I'll get a cover for car seat then. Thank you so much for sharing.
We're going to Kauai and Oahu probably (this part not confirmed yet)

Kauai has a Walmart where you can stock up on diapers and such. It's easy to get to. Oahu has everything.

legaleagle
12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
If you have a costco membership, all the islands have costcos.

peanut520
12-21-2011, 04:44 PM
dont forget extra clothes for you. dd decided she wanted to try my brie on the flight to hawaii, gagged on the taste, and threw up all over me. luckily i had a change of clothes with me.

babyfiorina1
12-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Does anyone own this http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-My-Chair-Portable-Royal/dp/B000CSEE3O/ref=pd_sim_ba_2 ?

Do I need a travel booster seat ? I'm actually thinking of getting this, besides being able to use it as a booster seats, perhaps can use it at the beach too ?

legaleagle
12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
I personally wouldn't bother - Hawaii is very kid friendly so everywhere should have high chairs.

weech
12-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Does anyone own this http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-My-Chair-Portable-Royal/dp/B000CSEE3O/ref=pd_sim_ba_2 ?

Do I need a travel booster seat ? I'm actually thinking of getting this, besides being able to use it as a booster seats, perhaps can use it at the beach too ?

We do have this and it's good, especially for the price. We took it on a trip to Denver and it was really helpful - we used it mostly in our rental house for meals, but he also used it as a regular chair. The only thing is that kids slouch in it because it's just like a regular camp chair with the fabric (nylon?) seat bottom and no support, but it's not a big deal. DS was 18 months when he used it (and he's small) and it was fine. I think we'll take it with us to Mexico in January.