PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy Used clothes for your kids?

PMJ
12-15-2011, 01:01 AM
I've recently come to learn that many of the people I know buy Used clothes for their kids. I was a bit surprised, b/c many of them come from middle-to-upper class.

1) yes

2) No

3) Sometimes

I don't know if it is a cultural thing, but I don't buy used clothes. I also kind of feel like it's 'wrong', b/c we can afford to buy new items. DD does not have a TON and an over-abundance of clothes, but enough.

sariana
12-15-2011, 01:25 AM
I voted no, but I do accept hand-me-downs from people I know. I also pass along clothes to a friend. So we kind of have a local network going.

crl
12-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Yes, absolutely, I buy used. We could afford to buy new, but why spend more money on something that gets such short use? Dd went through five sizes of clothes on the first year of her life; thank goodness for CL lots at $1 a piece instead of $5-10 or more new! And, of course, it is better for the environment. I also gladly accept hand me downs!

I voted sometimes because I haven't ever found much used for older ds, especially in bigger sizes, and because I have bought a fair chunk of new stuff for dd too based on lack of ready availability of a specific item used and because I'm a sucker for "special" dresses.

Catherine

Puddy73
12-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Yes, sometimes. I don't have the patience for yard sales, but I do like consignment stores and sales. I suppose we could afford to buy everything new, but I'd rather put that money towards other things.

echoesofspring
12-15-2011, 01:47 AM
I buy a combination of new and used. I always try to buy used first and then if I can't find what I'm looking for buy new, except for an occasional 'i have to have that moment'. I buy used for a whole host of reasons that people have already mentioned. But I am very picky about what I'll buy, and I am aware of dimishing returns for too much time spent. But I have a couple consignment and used stores I'll cycle through once a month or so.

I'm also fairly price savy, alot of time used isn't much cheaper than something new with sales and coupons, etc. At least where we live....if we lived in a bigger area I could probably find more used stuff. High end stuff (HA, etc. ) is next to nearly impossible to find around here.

I feel so wasteful looking at the box of clothes that DS hardly wore and grew out of in the blink of an eye.

I'm curious why you would think it's wrong?

essnce629
12-15-2011, 01:56 AM
I voted "sometimes." When DS1 was under one I pretty much bought everything used from the consignment store. I was only 22 years old at the time and a full time college student so money was scarce. Also, none of my close friends had kids yet so I didn't have many hand me downs. Once DS was older though I started shopping at Gymboree a lot more since I found the clothes lasted longer and I knew we'd have another baby one day and was saving all of DS's clothes. I could get stuff pretty cheap at Gymboree by only shopping their sale stuff and using a coupon and I could do all my shopping online without having to drag DS to different stores. And once DS started preschool he started ripping through the knees of all his pants and I had to start buying the LE climber pants. They are the only pants that would actually make it through the season (just barely) and they are not cheap, but buying 5 pairs of them (with a coupon) and having them last the entire season was better then going through 15 pairs of less expensive or used pants that he could rip through in a week.

With DS2 I had a bunch of clothes from DS1 that I saved, so I really didn't need to buy many clothes the first 18 months. Now that DS2 is 2 1/2, I've had to start buying things again, since this is the age DS1 started preschool and his clothes (size 3T) started getting trashed (so not as much was saved). I choose to buy new stuff, since I want it to last and I feel that I can get new clothes for nearly the same price as consignment store clothes if I buy stuff on sale and use a coupon. Not having to drag my kids around to different stores and search for clothes is worth it. I continue to save all of DS1 and DS2's clothes that are in good condition and have passed them on to two of my friends who have boys younger than DS2. They will give them back to me when they are outgrown. There are no children's consignment shops near me that I know of.

LarsMal
12-15-2011, 02:07 AM
I voted no, but I do accept hand-me-downs from people I know.

:yeahthat: I also pass clothes along.

stefani
12-15-2011, 02:24 AM
I voted yes, but more accurately: "I did, but not anymore". When DS was little, the clothes from consignment stores (Kid to Kid, Once Upon A Child, etc.) look brand new and DS wore them in such a short period of time.

Now, DS can wear clothes for many years, and I see that the used clothes are more "worn", so I stopped buying used clothes. I think DS was about 4 or 5 when most, if not all of his clothes are brand new.

I noticed that when DS was little I would either sell or donate most of his clothes, while now I throw away a lot of his clothes because they are really not wearable anymore.

My parents did cringe when they heard that their first grandchild wore 2nd hand clothes :-) We are Asians, so the "buy new if you can afford it" is embedded there.

Uno-Mom
12-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Almost always, except for HA outlet sales. We could afford new clothes but I don't see any reason to. Besides, in general buying used at our consignment shops let my dollars support quirky local businesses vs national brands/stores.

The other big reason is that I'm able to buy high-end, interesting and lovely designer clothes. I would never, ever pay those brands' "new" prices for toddler clothes!

Eta: like pps, I am finding it harder to buy used basics now that Sprog is pushing 3t.

YouAreTheFocus
12-15-2011, 04:06 AM
I buy my son a lot of stuff on eBay. His wardrobe wouldn't be half as cute without it! For Xmas he'll be wearing HA red corduroy overalls from the 'bay--they don't make em anymore. Cost a whopping $4.50 :)

TwinFoxes
12-15-2011, 05:56 AM
Our mothers of multiples group has twice yearly sales. I usually pick up a few things. But I'm pretty good at shopping sales, I don't feel the need to put a lot of effort into finding used clothes.

wellyes
12-15-2011, 06:42 AM
I buy used sometimes. I don't want to spend a lot, and I find better stuff - more durable and comfortable - at the local consignment for the price of low-end clothing shops (old navy, kohls, target). My goal annually is to put more money in the kids 529 than I spend on clothes.

But yes, right around 3t the used market isn't really great anymore. I do not spend a lot of time or effort clothes shopping.

MoJo
12-15-2011, 07:04 AM
I was pretty much raised that it's "wrong." But I'd say 80% of their clothes are purchased used (and 10% are gifts). My mom especially had a hard time with that at first.

But I can't afford quality new; and I can't tell you how many times something I bought at Target or Walmart was not wearable after two or three wearings & that almost never happens with the used clothes.

My mom is now mostly convinced. We have several thrift shops in our area and so far I've been able to find just about everything besides PJs used but in good to like-new condition. Everyone compliments their dresses. Because 4s and 5s are harder to buy, I've started to grab those and put them away as I find them. I don't have the patience for yard sales much, but DH loves thrift shopping so it's easy to get there frequently to find what we need.

WatchingThemGrow
12-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Not exclusively, but for DD especially, there are TONS of items to choose from at our local consignment sale. I am addicted to trying to find as much of her wardrobe as I can used. For the boys, I try to buy the costly things used and get amazing deals for them. We're in the 4-5 range in boys where nothing survives and very little is available for sales.

DietCokeLover
12-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes, I would say 75%of their wardrobe is used. I do this to stretch our $$ further. Then, I often turn right back around and resell it.

I definitely don't see anything "wrong" with used clothing.

KrisM
12-15-2011, 08:03 AM
I buy as much as I can used. We could easily afford new, but would rather spend our money elsewhere.

I used to be able to get nearly everything I needed at mom2mom sales. Most items are $1-$2 each there. As DS1 is getting older, those sizes are harder to find, so I started shopping at the Salvation Army for him and it worked really well this year. I again got most everything I needed. I end up having to buy a few new things for each kid, but not many.

I do buy socks and underwear new.

BabbyO
12-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Yes, absolutely, I buy used. We could afford to buy new, but why spend more money on something that gets such short use? Dd went through five sizes of clothes on the first year of her life; thank goodness for CL lots at $1 a piece instead of $5-10 or more new! And, of course, it is better for the environment. I also gladly accept hand me downs!

I voted sometimes because I haven't ever found much used for older ds, especially in bigger sizes, and because I have bought a fair chunk of new stuff for dd too based on lack of ready availability of a specific item used and because I'm a sucker for "special" dresses.

Catherine

I do buy socks and underwear new.

:yeahthat:

I work FT so I don't have a lot of time to look for used, but when I'm able to hit up rummage sales or the like I definitely get used clothes. We are also blessed with a family at work that has boys just a few years older than our boys and they give us all their hand-me-downs. It has been a life saver.

Our neighbor is expecting and due in March. I've already given her 2-3 bags of NB & 0-3 mo clothes. I totally agree that so many of the kids clothes, especially in the first year, are barely worn.

Used clothes are harder to find for DS1 and since I don't have a ton of time he gets a bit more new at this point. But its always from sales...and often I'm able to purchase at the end of a season for the following year at rock bottom prices.

I hadn't thought of how much better it is for the environment to be recycling kids clothes...but now I feel even better about it!

Melaine
12-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I voted sometimes. I love buying used and do frequently. Most of the girls clothes for the first two years were either gifts or used from yard sales, thrift stores or consignment sales. I looooove the Twin Sale local to me. As they got older I found it harder to find deals on clothes in excellent, like new shape, and I started finding clearance deals so cheap on new stuff that they were irresistible. Also, the girls still really want to match most of the time....or more accurately they are so competitive that matching seems the only way to have peace. So I tend to just shop super cheap clearance to keep it simple for me. I never thought we would match so long but they still almost always choose the same items to wear.

For DC3 I will DEFINITELY by tons used. I hope to get a few handmedowns (didn't really get any with the girls except one almost stranger I met who blessed us with boxes of matching clothes...SO wonderful!). I know it will be tons easier shopping for one LO, so I will likely get most clothes from thrift stores or yard sales. Even consignment sales are often too pricey for me.

I have met people who are disgusted by buying used, and honestly, I can't imagine us ever being friends. That attitude is really too much for me.

mommylamb
12-15-2011, 10:00 AM
I've done it, but not very often. I think I've gone to two consignment sales in the last 5 years. Other than that, his used clothes are all hand me downs, and I have no problem accepting though.

hillview
12-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't in general. I don't have an issue with it per se but I don't have the time. If I was at a yard sale and saw something I loved, I'd get it.
/hillary

mikala
12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Most of my child's wardrobe consists of generous hand-me-downs, consignment sale and garage sale finds. I only buy stuff that is in good condition and have saved a lot of $$ this way. I almost never buy Gymbo or Gap in stores but we have a lot of clothes in both brands. I fill in the gaps with basics from places like Target.

I do it because I'd rather spend the money on other things (travel, eating out, etc) and because it's more eco-friendly than always buying new. I refuse to spend $$ on a pair of Gap jeans when I can get them for $2-3 in like-new condition.

I imagine this will taper off as DS grows and the like-new used market shrinks for the larger sizes.

lizzywednesday
12-15-2011, 10:12 AM
I voted no, but I do accept hand-me-downs from people I know. I also pass along clothes to a friend. So we kind of have a local network going.

I accept hand-me-downs when I can (it's tough - the rest of my family has boys and I have a girl and the next ones up are quite a bit older than my DD, so their things have long since gone out to donation or been handed down elsewhere) and make it a point to offer hand-me-downs to friends when I have them available.

Part of this is that I love shopping for DD but part of it is I simply can't make the time to get out of the house to go to consignment shops or Goodwill. I won't buy off eBay - used clothing has to bee seen in person, IMO.

anonomom
12-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I voted "yes," but I'm more of a mix these days. I buy used at consignment sales because I love brands like HA and Boden but am generally too cheap to buy them new (though, thanks to the BBB, I've started shopping Hanna outlet sales). When DD1 was younger, most of her clothes were from Target. Now, though, Target's girl clothing is both skanky and expensive, so I stalk the Gymboree and LE sales, and fill in with consignment finds.

justlearning
12-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I buy a good amount at our semi-annual MOPS Munchkin Market sale. I donate a lot to it too and appreciate that it's a way to share good clothes with each other and pay $1 per item that goes to the MOPS group. Our sale is a huge event and I would guess that most of the moms who attend could easily afford new clothes if they wish.

I would say that about 50-75% of my kids' wardrobe is bought new, though, because I can't find those items in good shape used (e.g., uniform clothes). I do never pay anywhere near full price, though. ;)

ETA that DS2 rarely gets any new clothes because he's happy to wear hand-me-downs from big brother. He only gets some new items when the hand-me-downs get holes in them (e.g., uniform pants and socks).

AngelaS
12-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Yep I buy used. I'd say that probably at least 75% of their wardrobes are bought used. That number was higher when they were younger because baby and toddler clothes are a dime a dozen at garage sales.

I love garage sales and thrill of the hunt. :). So do my girls. We also shop Goodwill. I'm very picky about what I'll buy and it's got to look almost new or I don't buy it. Thankfully garage sales are plentiful here and there's a lot to choose from. :)

jerigirl
12-15-2011, 11:03 AM
YES! Through BBB Swap and other similar boards I am on. I do buy some new, especially for DS1, now that he is getting older and there is less available in his size on Swap. But I also know that it hopefully will be used by DS2 eventually.

nfowife
12-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I buy a ton of used clothes for my kids. I try to buy the better brands used- HA, Miniboden, etc. But I will also buy regular stuff used if it's in good condition and a good deal- I've done well on gymbofriends and BBB swap and I always go to my local consignment sales fall and spring. Usually I will buy stuff there, and fill in the gaps with cheaper new stuff, like Kohls. I find that as they get older less and less stuff is pre-owned because kids just wear their clothes longer and play harder as they get older. So DD2's clothes are about 90% pre-owned/hand me downs (didn't save much from DD1 in her current size). DS is about 40% preowned and it's almost all shirts, and DD1's about 25% preowned. But at DD1's age she can wear stuff a good 2 years if I buy slightly large in terms of tops and dresses especially.
For me, it has nothing to do with my ability to buy them nice new stuff so much as my general cheap-ness and refusal to pay more for their stuff than I do for mine- considering how much wear they get out of something.

momm
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Absolutely.. it's a very rare new cloth that has found it's way into my son's closet (most of the new clothes he wears have been gifts, so I didn't vote as I "buy" new clothes)

I think it makes most sense as they wear it for a few weeks if I'm lucky.

I do understand about the cultural thing though. My parents and in-laws were shocked when they learnt that I do this. Ah well. it makes sense to me, so why not?

It's not a question of affording - it's a question of getting your money's worth.

brittone2
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, I would say 75%of their wardrobe is used. I do this to stretch our $$ further. Then, I often turn right back around and resell it.

I definitely don't see anything "wrong" with used clothing.

I shop a lot of big consignment sales (watchingthemgrow got me started on this...it is all her fault!). At my local one this year, I scored DD several Lands End, LL Bean, and HA playdresses for 1-3 bucks each, and they looked new. In fact, one of the like-new HA dresses was a buck. I have no idea why someone would price it like that at a consignment sale, but I don't argue ;) I picked up a pair of never-worn (or maybe they were tried on, but there was literally no wear on them at all!) new balance sneakers for DD for 2 bucks.

I'm selective about what I buy, but if I can score the very same brands I prefer anyway for 1/10 of the cost, why not? I have also turned around and resold some of the items for what we paid or sometimes a bit more in the case of Hannas.

We could afford new, but I like the thrill of the hunt and I like using it to stretch our budget (which in our case frees up extra money for things like organic foods, etc.). I aim for about 75-85% 2nd hand, and then I buy a handful of new things to fill in the gaps, or focus on buying my very favorite outfits new, kwim? DD is extremely easy to buy 2nd hand for, since girls' stuff is just so abundant at consignment sales, etc.

It is much harder now that DS1 is older. He's starting to need more new stuff more frequently because boys his age are *rough* on clothes. Up until he was 5-6 I could still find a lot of decent 2nd hand stuff for him but it is more difficult now.

I thrift, although I haven't done much in the last year. I've scored things like a like-new HA zipper for a 1.19 in the goodwill bin. DD has a gorgeous vintage gray wool Rothschild swing coat with black velvet cuffs and collar that is just stunning. I think it was 5 bucks at goodwill. I replaced the buttons but it is just beautiful. Last year I found her LL Bean parka in like-new condition for 3 bucks at Sal Val. Her Trek Mystic bike (in EUC) was 19 dollars at sal val. If I can get things like that we want/need for a fraction of the retail price, I am thrilled :)

We also get some hand-me-downs from my niece, but she's very tiny for her age (as is my DD), and by the time she outgrows stuff and it comes to us, it is often too small for my DD anyway. However, even if we only keep 1/4 of the things, we usually get some really helpful things like snow boots, rain boots, etc. that are only fairly lightly used anyway by the original owner.

MamaSnoo
12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
I do get used clothes for DD sometimes. It depends on convenience mostly for me. If I had more time, I might search for more used items.

BabyBearsMom
12-15-2011, 01:44 PM
I voted "No" but it isn't because I won't buy them, its just because generally I don't. I wouldn't buy from EBay because I am very much so a texture person and need to touch anything before I buy it (I have really sensitive skin, and while DD does not, I need to make sure I can hold her no matter what she is wearing). I've never actually been to a consignment sale and when I have been to thrift stores, it just seems like too much work to dig through and find something I like. But, DD wears lots of hand me downs from friends and family and I have zero problem with that. I don't think it is something shameful to wear used clothes or something my DD is too good for.

marymoo86
12-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Sometimes - often I can find deals/sales on the brands I like cheaper new that what the resale is at consignment. I don't have the time/patience for the big consignment sales. I can easily then turn around and resell for close to what I paid.

I have bought preowned from ebay if I was very familiar with a clothing item and have picked up a few HA sets off craigslist.

I get a lot of $10 off $10 coupons from Kohls and JCP and get a lot of DDs daycare clothes free or close to free.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
yes, i have bought used Hanna. sometimes there's something from a specific season and in a color and the only option is something gently used. It's not a biggie in my mind.

Green_Tea
12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I buy used clothes when I have the time and the flexibility to look for them. There's an awesome consignment shop in my town (which is rather affluent and very well educated), and I stop in every month or so. If I find something cute and useful, I buy it. I also happily accept hand me downs from my SIL and a friend who has twin boys. We can certainly afford to buy new clothes, but I'd rather buy the kids used clothes in excellent condition and save the extra money and buy nicer clothes for *me* - after all, I won't be outgrowing them or shredding the knees on my jeans.

I thought the OP's comment about being surprised that middle and upper class families would buy used clothes was kind of funny - from what I've observed, middle and upper class moms are much *more* into buying used, especially when it comes to brands like HA, Boden, etc. The parking lot at my favorite kids consignment store is typically crowded with luxury cars! Maybe that's how they can afford them ;).

ilfaith
12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I bought used clothes more when DS1 was younger. I found clothes in sizes up to 24 months are so quickly outgrown that they don't show much wear. Now that DS1 is older (7.5), I do get most of his clothes new (although we do occasionally get hand-me-downs from friends with an older boy). I find less selection of older kid's clothing, and when he's not in his school uniform he mostly wants to wear tee shirts and track pants (and the inventory of used sporty clothes tends to be a little shabby). But with three boys, I don't mind paying a little more for new clothes that will be handed down twice.

citymama
12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Oh sure. I picked sometimes because most of my clothes buying is new. As you know, I do love to buy them new clothes and spend a pretty penny on bargains at Hanna, Gap, H&M and Boden each year. But over the last 5 years, at least a third of their wardrobe, has been second-hand; the bulk of it is hand-me-downs from cousins, all in really good shape. On occasion, I buy used clothing on eBay, consignment store, mom's groups, BBB-Swap. One thing I always try and buy used is fleece PJs - I figure some of the flame retardant will have washed off if I buy it second hand! Other things I like to get used: jeans, special clothing that is bought like new (eg Hanna sweater dress), outerwear, sometimes Halloween costumes or dress-up items. I pretty much only buy things in very good or like new condition.

ett
12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Most of my kid's clothes are new but they do have some used items. I generally only buy used the better brands like Mini Boden and Hanna. I would purchase used more if the selection and pricing were better though. Mostly I see Target/Old Navy/store brands and the prices are not any good.

lchang25000
12-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Most of my kid's clothes are new but they do have some used items. I generally only buy used the better brands like Mini Boden and Hanna.

:yeahthat: I only buy on eBay, the BBB swap, and other mommy boards like GF. I don't have the patience to shop consignment sales.

Simon
12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Almost exclusively used.

In all the past 6 years, I can count, on one hand, the number of times I walked into a store just to "shop" for new clothing for any of my kids.

I consider it a wise financial move for out family, although I have made an effort to have different 2nd hand clothing for Ds2 so he doesn't just look like a mini-Ds1 in all the pictures we have for him.

HIU8
12-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I had been buying my kids about 80% of their wardrobe as used/consigned clothes. I do not buy underpants, tights, socks or shoes second hand though. The majority of DS's wardrobe this year is new however (school uniform with a mix of Target sweatpants). DS only has a few shirts used and they are for when he goes outside and plays in the mud (litearlly). DD is 4 and wears a size 6x. I find that It's harder to find consigned clothes in that size in decent condition. For the fall I bought less than half her stuff used and the other was new but on DEEP discount. I've been moving from mostly finding used items to mostly not finding them this year (DD and DS's winter coats are new etc....). When they were smaller it was easier to find used items in excellent condition. Now, in their size, the stuff is seriously worn. What I look for now are items that are new with tags being sold as used (makes me feel like I'm getting a serious bargain).

I was raised with the notion that buying used is for poor white trash (my mother's words--not mine). She was/ is disgusted that I buy ANYTHING used. However, I definitely lived differently as a child (read: with more money) than I do now. Plus, my parents had HUGE credit card bills (HUGE b/c if they didn't have the cash on hand, they just charged it). DH and I are not willing to live that way.

artvandalay
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
I don't. Not because I think there's anything wrong with it, I just don't have the time to sort through racks of things or go to yardsales on the off chance they would have something that I like and would buy.

It's the same reason I rarely shop at TJ Maxx for myself. It just takes me too long to search through those racks of jumbled up stuff! I like a store where I can see every style in plain sight and just pick my size up and go. I only have two days a week where I get two hours with only one child (the baby) and I'm usually either grocery shopping or running errands.

I rarely have a babysitter and my kids would never sit still in a stroller all that long to get any decent shopping done.

I buy almost all of my children's clothes online. I usually have an idea of what I want, and when I get a decent coupon code (with free shipping of course) I buy. I don't feel bad about buying new because I wait for the deals.

My oldest son's clothes get handed down to his younger brother, unless they are in bad shape or faded.

My SIL has given us quite a bit of clothes for the baby, which we gladly use, but I fill in the gaps with new purchases.

s7714
12-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Do I? No
Would I? Yes
Why don't I? I have bought used things on rare occasions in the past, but used clothing places are kind of out of my way and right now I value my time just as much as money. I like being able to go to a store, see something I like/need, grab the sizes I need and go. I don't have time to sort through consignment stores looking at rack and racks of one-of-a-kind items. Several of the stores around me charge ridiculous prices for things anyway. Like $5.00 for a used Circo brand romper that I could pay $6.99 for brand new at Target. Things like that make me say why bother!

Smillow
12-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Several of the stores around me charge ridiculous prices for things anyway. Like $5.00 for a used Circo brand romper that I could pay $6.99 for brand new at Target. Things like that make me say why bother!

That drives me crazy! I buy new on clearance or on sale and used when I find it. I do not buy Walmart brand used. There is a small thrift store by the Y that has kids clothes for $1 and I look through their small selection at least once a week. I like knowing how soft something is after washing, so I kind of prefer used clothes for that reason, they already have that broken in comfortable thing going on :D. Our family loves thrift stores for clothes!

Globetrotter
12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I did this more when they were younger and I was obsessed with their clothes, but I used to go for unusual high-end brands, mostly. Now I'm obsessed with my clothes so I don't bother to stalk stuff for the kids :D

We also do a LOT of hand-me-downs. I love to accept and give hand-me-downs !

Trigglet
12-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Almost always, except for HA outlet sales. We could afford new clothes but I don't see any reason to. Besides, in general buying used at our consignment shops let my dollars support quirky local businesses vs national brands/stores.

The other big reason is that I'm able to buy high-end, interesting and lovely designer clothes. I would never, ever pay those brands' "new" prices for toddler clothes!

Eta: like pps, I am finding it harder to buy used basics now that Sprog is pushing 3t.

Also I believe strongly in the 'reduce, reuse, recycle' mantra, so why shoudn't it apply to clothes? I get second-hand stuff for me as well. I love me some vintage Pringle cashmere!

Canna
12-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I buy a combination of new and used things for my kids - and myself! I love finding bargain prices on great things at consignment stores. It's hard to find things for my older DD now that she is in bigger sizes.

Most of my friends (a bunch of professor, physician, university affiliated types) do the same.

Am I the only one who wonders how avoiding used clothes is a "cultural" concern??

Uno-Mom
12-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Re the aversion for some folks: I think it's just distasteful for many people and/or seems like a sign of poverty. I have friends who feel that way. Personally, I love shopping second hand for kid and adult clothes!

But for me, I was raised that way. My area has had clean, nice 2nd hand stores for decades and I remember often shopping there with my mom. It wasn't the money question - we got lots of new stuff, too. My mom just found it fun to hunt for treasures! Then as I got a bit older, those shops were within biking distance and it was where my allowance could buy great stuff. It was an independence thing for me, being able to buy clothes myself without mom and her checkbook.

My anti-used friends seem to fall into two groups. Some grew up in areas where 2nd hand stores were really dirty and unpleasant. Others grew up in struggling families and hated having to wear "old" clothes. I guess, for others it could just sound like a strange thing because they've never done it.

So I suppose i understand why it's distasteful for some. That's ok...leaves more treasures for me!! :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-17-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't. Not because I think there's anything wrong with it, I just don't have the time to sort through racks of things or go to yardsales on the off chance they would have something that I like and would buy.

It's the same reason I rarely shop at TJ Maxx for myself. It just takes me too long to search through those racks of jumbled up stuff! I like a store where I can see every style in plain sight and just pick my size up and go. I only have two days a week where I get two hours with only one child (the baby) and I'm usually either grocery shopping or running errands.

Exactly me too. Places like TJ Maxx and thrift stores give me anxiety with the overwhelming amount of stuff to sift through. The older I get, the worse those stores are to me. I call them h*ll. I really would rather pay more for much easier shopping. I get no thrill bargain hunting.

Beth

AnnieW625
12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes, absolutely, I buy used. We could afford to buy new, but why spend more money on something that gets such short use?

:yeahthat: My kids would have almost no clthes if i didn't buy second hand. I love the quality of Hanna Andersson, but not all of the styles each year so I like shopping on EBay for them, which is where I buy most of the second hand stuff from. I am much more tolerant of that than thrift stores, because I just don't have the patience or time to drive around all of the time looking for stuff. I can devote an hour or so to EBay everytime the girls wardrobes (mainly DD1 only now) are starting to look a little thin, and then look for larger lots of stuff from the same seller to combine so shipping is less. I have bought clothes from mommy group moms too. I will only buy Hanna, Gymboree, Boden, Baby Gap, and Janie & Jack used. Everything else can be found at a discount else where or for a pretty decent price.

I will say that I am picky about school uniforms being new because they aren't easy wash n wear cotton like Hanna that has minimal shrinking.

nmosur
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
No - I don't buy used clothing for DD but I do accept hand-me downs from friends that I know. And yes, it is a cultural thing that I can't get past. I am from India and it is believed that when you get used items (furniture, clothing, etc) from people, you also accept a part of their luck/karma. And usually people selling furniture and good usable clothing are people who have fallen on hard times (not here in the west but in India). Therefore you don't buy or accept used things from unknown people. Hope this clears the reasoning behind why no buying no used clothing.

mnosky1
12-27-2011, 01:12 AM
I love buying used stuff - its like a hobby. I can look at a rack of hundreds of things jammed together and usually tell from the shoulder what is hanna, gymboree, gap, and boutique brands. There might be some I miss but what I pull out is rarely a Kohls or target or Walmart brand. i participate in a big twice yearly consignment sale and get a lot there. I also browse Ebay for some more expensive boutique brands - these are often barely worn. I dont buy used Pjs, socks etc and i'd say no used shoes but now my youngest loves fancy shoes and I have bought some expensive shoes if they show minimal to no wear. I buy used toys too and have no qualms wrapping them up for Christmas either. Although as the kids get older, the quality declines- Im not sure why so much. When I put my 8 years olds outgrown clothes in a bin they are in perfect condition but stuff in her size at consignment is so worn out usually.

kijip
12-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Oh, all the time. Two of the three closest places to buy clothing to me are thrift stores. I hit up the preschool fundraiser sales too. With the exception of some Hanna, REI and Land's End sales plus the threadless shirts they just got as gifts, all their clothes are used.

I like recycling and I hate overspending. Thrift stores are a big solution. Personally, I find the idea that used is wrong unless you are poor to be really out of sync with my values.

daisymommy
12-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I do for high end, designer, boutique brands, that I would never in my right mind pay full price for. That is, if I can't get it on sale brand new. Ebay and swap boards are great for this kind of thing, and people take really good care of the clothes.

We don't have any decent consignment or thrift stores around here, everything looks so old and worn out, I would never buy it.

Otherwise, I buy affordable new clothing, knowing that it will last through several children if it starts out new with me.

Melaine
12-27-2011, 08:03 AM
No - I don't buy used clothing for DD but I do accept hand-me downs from friends that I know. And yes, it is a cultural thing that I can't get past. I am from India and it is believed that when you get used items (furniture, clothing, etc) from people, you also accept a part of their luck/karma. And usually people selling furniture and good usable clothing are people who have fallen on hard times (not here in the west but in India). Therefore you don't buy or accept used things from unknown people. Hope this clears the reasoning behind why no buying no used clothing.

I do appreciate that perspective because I've never heard about it. That is really interesting and helps me understand it, so thanks for explaining!

Green22
12-27-2011, 01:55 PM
I did almost exclusively for DD in her 1st year. I wasted a decent amount of money on clothes that were labeled "9 months" but b/c they had been washed/worn they actually fit like 6 months. I also started figuring out that at the outlets and Kohls I could end up getting stuff for about the same price as I was paying at consignment (4-6 bucks a pop on average). I haven't been back to consignment in a while. I've also found that Target brand, Children's Place and Old Navy simply do not work for her no matter how cheap.

Now that she is in 2Ts (and I think she will be here for a bit) I have been shopping sales - got a bunch of cute gymbo stuff for 6-7 bucks each. I should mention that she is in DC so I only buy comfy stuff - leggings and shirts. No jeans, things with buttons, etc.

I also don't buy a lot. All of her pants and shirts fit in one dresser drawer (and we have another dresser drawer for her PJs). I have to wash her clothes on Friday, b/c we don't have enough to get through the week.

sste
12-28-2011, 02:49 PM
No. I just don't have time. If I expense out my time and my gas and the general aggravation (I am too busy to find thrifting fun - - ironically I would love it if I didn't have the time demands of kids!) . . . it doesn't make much sense for us. I confess I do a big hanna winter sale order and the fall and spring preorders at Boden and go to our local shoe store and that is it, done!

Jo..
12-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I buy more used than new. I'd rather spend $20 on a used Hanna outfit than $10 on a new CP one.

Jo..
12-28-2011, 11:48 PM
=No - I don't buy used clothing for DD but I do accept hand-me downs from friends that I know. And yes, it is a cultural thing that I can't get past. I am from India and it is believed that when you get used items (furniture, clothing, etc) from people, you also accept a part of their luck/karma. And usually people selling furniture and good usable clothing are people who have fallen on hard times (not here in the west but in India). Therefore you don't buy or accept used things from unknown people. Hope this clears the reasoning behind why no buying no used clothing.reciate that perspective because I've never heard about it. That is really interesting and helps me understand it, so thanks for explaining!

I sell my kid's clothes all of the time, and we are solidly middle class with no debt. I think in America it's a lot more acceptable to buy or sell used.

sste
12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Jo, I think you missed the paren where the poster said the falling on hard times part applies in India, not here in the west.

Many, probably most middle class and upper middle class moms I know have an active buy/sell going on with their kids clothes. I am the wasteful western minority on this one!

Uno-Mom
12-29-2011, 01:10 AM
That's fascinating, thanks for sharing.

I can relate to the sense that you are sharing something personal when you buy used belongings, especially ones that have been worn. Because I'm a western (and west coast) girl, I have a positive rather than negative gut feeling about the spirit I'm sharing when I buy or sell. I like the little community of young parents who frequent our little consignment stores and it feels nice to spread our good spirits and quirky kids' clothes around.

So even though the result is opposite from that Indian cultural practice (my feeling encourages me to buy consignment) I can relate to the feeling behind what you describe. It's pretty much why I just don't feel pleasant about shopping at, say, a pawn shop.

Jo..
12-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I agree with this. I love seeing my friend's kids in our hmd's...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

And I love the fact that sometimes Leah is the 3rd or 4th kid to wear an outfit. Sometimes I show her pictures..."Look! This was Kate wearing the dress she gave you"!:heartbeat:

amldaley
12-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Other than the HA leggings from Costco and the new fleece jacket I bought for DD2 on sale, I have never bought HA retail...everything DD has that is HA is from Ebay! I totally believe in saving money and extending the life of perfectly acceptable garments as a form of recycling.

DD has several cute things I have picked up from kids consignment stores.

I rarely do yard sales but I did hit the mother load one time with a neighbor selling AWESOME stuff for 25 and 50 cents a peice.

My tip for yard sales and consignment is to wear polarized sunglasses. It will better help you see hidden stains that appear clean to the naked eye.

kristac
12-29-2011, 06:38 PM
99.9% of the time. Most of thier stuff comes from consignment, goodwill, or my local moms network swap.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh, all the time. Two of the three closest places to buy clothing to me are thrift stores. I hit up the preschool fundraiser sales too. With the exception of some Hanna, REI and Land's End sales plus the threadless shirts they just got as gifts, all their clothes are used.

I like recycling and I hate overspending. Thrift stores are a big solution. Personally, I find the idea that used is wrong unless you are poor to be really out of sync with my values.

You do live in the BEST area in the country for thrift stores, though! I have shopped thrift and consignment from Seattle to San Diego to Chicago (not bad there either) to Boston to Baltimore to North Carolina and can attest that the Seattle area has THE BEST thrift stores!

czekit7
01-02-2012, 12:03 AM
I have a "just turned 2yr old" and a 5.5mo old. We could probably afford some new stuff, but with the economy so questionable (still) and the price of gas (since we drive 100+ miles a day to our jobs), I'd rather use the money for food, bills, etc. My younger boy is wearing his older brother's stuff; the older brother's stuff was 75% consigned/used/handmedowned, and the other 25% was "new" but at deep discounts (Gap, Gymboree, TCP). If I bought from consignment or eBay/CL, I still made sure to stay with reputable brands (LE, TCP, Gymboree, Gap, ON, Hanna, etc--thanks to the help of Baby Bargains book). Shopping in better neighborhood's consignment stores, at JBF, and in better areas with CL, I saved a ton. I washed it caringly, and now have it for the younger boy (who is growing through these clothes even faster than his brother).