PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Carseat Politics

Fairy
12-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm in a bind. My good friend is watching DS while I take her daughter out. She wants to take him to dinner, only the carseat is in our other car parked at an airport an hour away. She's prickly about carseats and thinks I'm insane. She'd be a turner at 12 months, booster by 2, etc. She's a great mom and she's my oldest friend, but this is the one and only thing we're a 180 on. She's gonna be mad that I don't have a carseat for him and are, therefore, stuck inside for dinner. No, she can't come with us. She just can't trust me, this is how it will be, she's with DS, I'm with her DD.

DS is 7yo
66lbs
51.5 inches

Would you trust him in the backseat with the regular belt? I really would not cuz I think the shoulder belt will just not position right no matter what he does and god forbid there's an accident -- they wouldn't go far in the car, but far enough. Please no one say, "what is your son's safety worth," cuz c'mon. But I want not a shouting match. Would it be good enough to put him in the back with the shoulder belt moved to be tucked under his arm instead for the short trip? Cuz the alternative is going to Target or BRU completely out of my way to buy a Parkway -- or deal with her sh*t.

Just sanity check me, here, that the seatbelt booster free in the backseat is simply not an option.

No, I can't borrow a seat.

KrisM
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
My DS1 is about that height and he is much too short to sit with the seatbelt right. No way to get a backless somewhere? If not, I would not let him go with just a seatbelt. Sorry.

smiles33
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't think you're supposed to tuck a shoulder belt under his arm, as it would be by DS' armpit if they do get in an accident and the belt retracts. I'd go to Target and get a $35 Graco Turbobooster. No need to buy a Parkway ($99?) just for this. Plus then you'd have an extra TB for other similar times.

Fairy
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Ohmigod, stroke of freaking luck, her other DS is home sick! So, we had to change the whole plan around, and I don't need to find a booster anymore! I mean, sorry he's sick, of course, but my issue is solved. Tho, I was ready to go to Target and get the booster, that's where I was at. Thanks, KrisM and Smiles, for checkin' me!

o_mom
12-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Glad it worked out, but no, I would not allow it. It's not safe or legal.

I would allow a backless booster for short/infrequent trips at that age/size, though, which is much easier to obtain and keep on hand. And... just to enable you... I think you need a Bubble Bum to keep in your purse just for these situations. :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2011, 06:51 PM
I'd get him a cheap, low back booster and call it a day.

Beth

ett
12-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Glad it worked out for you but that wouldn't even be legal here. At a minimum, he would need to be in a backless booster.

kbud
12-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Yes, a would just get a backless. The Harmony one at Walmart is $13.50. I'm glad it worked out but if you reschedule just run to Wal mart.

I'm a bit confused though, how are you transporting your son now if the carseat is at an airport an hour away?

Also, although I don't feel it's safe no booster and just a seatbelt is totally legal here in FL. In fact it's legal for no booster or carseat at the age of 4 year, yes 4. Sad huh? Even sadder is that it's common practice for 4 year olds to be in the seatbelt only.

Fairy
12-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I have a frontier in harness mode in my car. The compass booster is a rarely used thing for our camaro (u see why rarely used he doesn't gothere often), or situations in other cars. We could have switched cars, too. I need a pkwy, so this just reinforces this need. And the bubble thingire I will look into!

HannaAddict
12-16-2011, 02:06 AM
I would still get an inexpensive emergency, short trip, easy to use, store and carry no back booster even if you get a parkway. We used our spare for the field trip for a girl
Whose mom doesn't have her in a seat despite the law here and her size. And my seven year old is taller (53-53") and heavier than yours
But the seat belt didn't correctly
Without s booster in the back of an S60 when trying to see if I could fit 3 across in a pinch. Amazing how
Much difference the booster makes. Glad it worked out.

Fairy
12-16-2011, 02:49 AM
I would still get an inexpensive emergency, short trip, easy to use, store and carry no back booster even if you get a parkway. We used our spare for the field trip for a girl
Whose mom doesn't have her in a seat despite the law here and her size. And my seven year old is taller (53-53") and heavier than yours
But the seat belt didn't correctly
Without s booster in the back of an S60 when trying to see if I could fit 3 across in a pinch. Amazing how
Much difference the booster makes. Glad it worked out.

I think you're absolutely right. Carseats give me anxiety ...