PDA

View Full Version : Tag Junior vs Tag Reader

lhafer
12-16-2011, 08:08 AM
We have the regular Tag reader system for my 5 year old. She has had it for a couple of years now and still enjoys it. My 22 month old also seems to love it too. She doesn't really understand how it works yet, she just likes the sounds it makes when she touches the pen to the page.

Right now TRU is has the regular Tag system for $25 (regular $40) and the Tag Junior for $30 (regular $35). I was thinking about getting one of them for my 22 month old for her bithday in Feb. That way they can both have their own reading system and not have to fight over it.

I was thinking the regular Tag would be better in the long run - and she does really good with regular books. But would the Junior be better book-wise for her due to their content and being board type books? I would have to upgrade it to a regular Tag at some point in the future.

Thoughts?

DietCokeLover
12-16-2011, 08:14 AM
I believe that the Jr books can be used with the TAG pen. That would help you with the more age appropriate books.

Double check me on that though.

lhafer
12-16-2011, 08:19 AM
I believe that the Jr books can be used with the TAG pen. That would help you with the more age appropriate books.

Double check me on that though.

If that's the case, problem solved!!!! Off to find out...

ETA: YES IT CAN!!

From Leap Frog's website:

Will my Tag Junior work with Tag Reading system books? Will my Tag Reading system work with Tag Junior books?

The Tag Reading System pen will work with Tag Junior books, but the Tag Junior is not compatible with Tag Reading System books.

To download Tag Junior books to your Tag Reader, launch the LeapFrog Connect application for the Tag Reader and go to the Audio Downloads page.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Tag Junior icon. This will bring you to the page with the Tag Junior audio files.

These files can be downloaded and then synced to your Tag Reader the same way as the Tag Reader audio files.

Please Note: That if the Tag Reading System pen is used with the Tag Junior board books, it will read these books the same way the Tag Junior will, a complete page at a time.

As the Tag Junior does not have the functionality to read word by word, the audio files for the board books will read the entire page start to finish when either the Tag Junior or Tag Reader is touched to that page.

elephantmeg
12-16-2011, 08:54 AM
I would get a tag pen and tag jr reader. Because at 3 I had to get DD a pen because she was outgrowing the books. So now they both have tag pens and I sold her tag jr.

lhafer
12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
I would get a tag pen and tag jr reader. Because at 3 I had to get DD a pen because she was outgrowing the books. So now they both have tag pens and I sold her tag jr.

That's what I did. I just ordered the Tag pen, and put a bunch of the Junior books on her wish list. DD1 has the purple pen, and I got DD2 the green pen so we can tell which pen has which books on it.