PDA

View Full Version : anyone have the Canvas cowl dress?

brittone2
12-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I haven't purchased any dresses from Canvas before. I am 5'3" but have longer legs/shorter torso.

Anyone own this and can tell me how it fits? i.e. how tall you are and if it hits you at the knee, above/below?

I suspect it will be too long on me since unlike some of the other Canvas dresses it does not say it hits above the knee, but rather at the knee.

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/CottonModalCowlneckDress~227210_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Sale-_-Women-_-DressesSkirts&origin=index

C&C's mom
12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
I had it and returned it. It fit me big on top and tight in the hips but I am hippy. I am 5 foot 5 and a size 12. I got a medium which is my normal LE size.

brittone2
12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I had it and returned it. It fit me big on top and tight in the hips but I am hippy. I am 5 foot 5 and a size 12. I got a medium which is my normal LE size.
thanks. I have smaller hips but have a touch of mummy tummy.

crl
12-16-2011, 05:59 PM
I have it in the green and love it! I am 5 ft 7 inches tall, with broad shoulders, flat chest and big hips--I weigh 130ish. I gave the small. It is definitely above my knees but not terribly short.

Catherine

brittone2
12-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I wish I was 5'7". I'm guessing on me the cowl dress will hit below my knee and look weird, and I'm not sure I want to spend the $$ for alterations. Although, maybe I should.

I like cowl necks. That's the problem ;)

DrSally
12-16-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm 5'4" and ordered the small. I returned it b/c I wanted more of a sweater fabric, but IIRC, it was above the knee for me. I think it would be close for you. Are you getting a small? If so, maybe more of a chance of being above knee. You can always return to Sears.

mypa
12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm 5'2" and it was too long (got Med). However, I would think that it would work fine if you belted it. I only returned it because the middle was tight on me and showed every bulge, felt a bit like a sausage in spandex because of how stretchy the material is (very hard to hide flaws). The cowlneck felt a little too tight for me (I like mine looser). I think if I sized up it would solve all those problems, but I was afraid it might to too long even when belted.

Might be worth a try w/the sale. It is very cute.

pb&j
12-16-2011, 10:58 PM
5'2", long legs, short torso, size small. It hits juuuust above my knee. I usually wear it belted, so it's a couple inches shorter. I love it - very comfy and looks put together. DH kept asking me what the occasion was the first time I wore it!

ETA: I like the cowl b/c it is cowl-y without being overly massive. I'm small, so a lot of cowlnecks overwhelm me. This one was just right.

brittone2
12-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Ry, that made me LOL-excessively big cowls make my head look too small (I have a pixie so not a lot of volume there ;) )

I might have to try it. 3rd order today. Might as well at this point, as I know I'll have a pile of returns to contend with anyway.

Thanks for the help.

brittone2
12-16-2011, 11:20 PM
I ordered. Gray is backordered until 1/9 (hopefully it will ship then), and I picked up black to wear with some cool new gray hue tights I just got. Hopefully it will work :)

THanks for the fit tips!

Do any of you have the green? I wasn't sure what I'd wear on my legs with it, so I passed but I do like the color.

crl
12-16-2011, 11:34 PM
I ordered. Gray is backordered until 1/9 (hopefully it will ship then), and I picked up black to wear with some cool new gray hue tights I just got. Hopefully it will work :)

THanks for the fit tips!

Do any of you have the green? I wasn't sure what I'd wear on my legs with it, so I passed but I do like the color.

I have the green. I love it. It is a rich green. I have worn it bare legged with silver sandals (got it in the fall and San Francisco is warm in the fall) and I have worn it with back tights and black boots and a jeans jacket on top.

Catherine

brittone2
12-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Oooh, now I'm sad I didn't get the green. I was wondering if it would work with black leggings or tights

I hope it fits when it gets here. I am bummed I didn't order earlier in the day before the gray became backordered.

hillview
12-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I ordered the black in med yesterday thanks!

brittone2
12-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I ordered the black in med yesterday thanks!
I hope we like it ;)

:D:D

pb&j
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
I have the green and the gray. I wear the green with brown tights and brown suede boots. :)

brittone2
12-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I have the green and the gray. I wear the green with brown tights and brown suede boots. :)
I really should have given the green a whirl. Of course, ordering 3 of anything is a sure-fire way to guarantee the fit will be weird on me and I'll need to return all of them ;)

hillview
12-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I really should have given the green a whirl. Of course, ordering 3 of anything is a sure-fire way to guarantee the fit will be weird on me and I'll need to return all of them ;)
:yeahthat:

pb&j
12-17-2011, 09:28 PM

...or that the fit will be fabulous and you'll end up buying 3 dresses when you only meant to get 1. :ROTFLMAO:

brittone2
12-17-2011, 09:33 PM
...or that the fit will be fabulous and you'll end up buying 3 dresses when you only meant to get 1. :ROTFLMAO:
LOL. I'd be okay with that :D

crl
12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Well, if I had any excuse at all, I would have already bought the grey and black. But I so seldom wear dresses it would be ridiculous.

Hope you all love yours!
Catherine

ett
12-17-2011, 11:39 PM
You are all such bad influences! I just ordered this dress (along with a bunch of other things) in my 4th order since this code came out yesterday. Many of the Canvas dresses are too long for me though, so there is a good chance that it won't work. I just couldn't resist trying it anyway given all the good reviews here.