PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever okay to wear black to a wedding?

lalasmama
12-17-2011, 02:00 AM
My cousin is getting married this Sunday. It's a small, informal church wedding with about 30 people attending. DD will be wearing a very traditional red plaid Christmas dress (it's mainly red).

So, would it be okay for me to wear black to the wedding? I was thinking of a long, black cotton dress like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-HANNA-ANDERSSON-Black-White-Sweater-Dress-S-EUC-/140528769332) (but black), with a red sweater, and a cute wintery scarf.

I doubt it matters, but the wedding colors are white, red, and black. And while I can't imagine the wedding couple would care, I don't want someone's granny tsk'ing me, either...

DebbieJ
12-17-2011, 02:05 AM
My cousin got married in October and there were plenty of black dresses being worn there. Go for it!

Fairy
12-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Oh hell yes. Enjoy.

MamaSnoo
12-17-2011, 07:22 AM
It sounds like a cute outfit to me.

Around here, you do see lots of black for evening, cocktail attire weddings. You would see black much less at an informal, daytime wedding; however, I think adding the red sweater and the scarf make it totally appropriate, and I would go for it. You and DD will be very cute together, but not matchy matchy.

Have a nice time!

Melaine
12-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I think you totally can these days, especially at this time of year. I bet you will see many other people doing the same. Have a fun time!

georgiegirl
12-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Lots of people wear black to weddings, especially evening ones.

vludmilla
12-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I wear black to weddings a lot and see lots of others doing it as well.

SnuggleBuggles
12-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Ditto, Again, it's vehemently opposed posters on here that rattled my confidence on black to a wedding. But, what matters is that in *my* reality, not theirs, people wear pretty black dresses to weddings all the time. :)

eta- however, if only the bridal party is the black, white and red then you should probably pick another color. Maybe. That's what stood out to me in your question.

Beth

Canna
12-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Heavens, at wedding in the NY/CT area people wear black more than any other color.

brittone2
12-17-2011, 12:21 PM
:yeahthat:

I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't, but every time I go to one there are usually tons of people in black, so I don't worry about it anymore.

KLD313
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I've never NOT worn black to a wedding. Lol

cvanbrunt
12-17-2011, 01:11 PM
My bridesmaids wore black. Seriously, don't give it another thought.

ett
12-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Totally fine. I see lots of black dresses at weddings.

lalasmama
12-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks so much for the confidence to do it! I know it seemed like a kind of silly question, but I just couldn't be sure there wasn't some faux pas I was managing by wearing black to a wedding.... It's not like it will be "overpowering" or anything (brightened up with the sweater and scarf), so I'm going for it!

lalasmama
12-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Happy to report that I wasn't the only one in black. Actually, despite the "informal" 2pm time and location (a Christian coffee house at a church), MANY people were in black. The bridal party also wore black dresses. Humorously, when I was talking to the bride, she mentioned that she liked me in the black; she was going to ask me to be in the bridal party originally, but it would have made 5 women and 3 men, so they didn't do it. So, I was an "honorary" bridesmaid today, which made the black dress work "better" LOL.

DD looked adorable in her dress too :)