PDA

View Full Version : iPad Case - Survivor or Gumdrop - Another Question Post #9

sandwish
12-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Another question for those who have a Survivor or Gumdrop. Please see post #9.

==============================
We are getting an iPad for Christmas to be used as an AAC device. My DS has a tendency to throw things. I've narrowed it down to two cases.

The Griffin Survivor or Gumdrop case.

What is the better deal?

Amazon - Griffin Survivor (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Survivor-Extreme-duty-BLACK-GB02480/dp/B004SPVZKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324149937&sr=8-1) - $43.79 (price keeps changing)

Amazon - Gumdrop (http://www.amazon.com/Gumdrop-Cases-Drop-Red-Black-DS-IPAD2-RED-BLK/dp/B004TA79MO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324150270&sr=1-1) (black/red or black/black) - $52.95 or $54.95 (prices keep changing, went up a dollar already)

Costco - Gumdrop (http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11701752&search=ipad&Mo=22&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=ipad&Ntt=ipad&No=15&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1) (black/red) - $59.99 - but includes two extra screen protectors (reg. $15.95 each)

I'm leaning towards the Gumdrop because I don't want to extra flaps for the camera and speakers on Griffin. What I'm now wondering is if the extra screen protectors are necessary.

Also keep in mind, we pay tax for either Amazon or Costco and all have free shipping.

On a second note, I also plan to get a warranty, probably SquareTrade. Would that be overkill, do people get both tough case and warranty?

viba424
12-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Im lazy, can you post links?

sandwish
12-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Great suggestion, updated OP with links

connor_mommy
12-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I like the screen protectors because my boys fingers are always dirty. For some reason dust also seems to be attracted to the glass screen.

Radosti
12-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I got a griffin survivor on eBay for $20 total. It wasn't pink like I wanted, but it has the screen protection and keeps it clean and safe. No complaints.

sewarsh
12-17-2011, 10:27 PM
i know you narrowed it down already, but thought i'd chime in that we have this one and its really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7KTF4/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

sandwish
12-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Radosti - $20 on eBay, that is a great deal. I checked and only see used ones for over 20 with shipping. Perhaps I should keep an eye out.

sewarsh - Thanks for suggesting that case. It does have great reviews however it doesn't meet my current needs. The ability to stand it up would be very useful.

Radosti
12-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Mine was a used one in mint condition that a dentist in my area listed on Ebay (I saw that he was 15 mins away) and I emailed him asking if I could pick up. He said for $20, he'd cancel the auction and have me pick up, so I agreed. It worked out great. It looks brand new, so I couldn't complain. It's bulky, and some people don't get that when they buy it. Then it's considered used, even though it was most likely on their ipad for only a week or so.

JBaxter
12-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I do use the mini stand on the survivor when I pull up recipes or listening to pandora in the kitchen. The survivor is surviving my 3 yr old. Rada calls him Jack the electronics ripper.

sandwish
12-27-2011, 03:14 AM
We have opened up our iPad, but I have yet to make a decision on the case.

I'm still debating the Survivor and the Gumdrop. Hopefully those with either one can help me make a final decision.

I love how rugged the Survivor is (and that it has a stand) but what's holding me back is the cover for the speaker. Can those who have it tell me how the sound quality is if I don't open the flap. I read reviews of people who cut them off and I don't want to have to do that. I plan to use it for DS with special needs and there is no way he will hold open the flap but will need the speaker.

I found the price to be $39.99 at macmall.com (http://www.macmall.com/p/Griffin-Carrying-Cases/product~dpno~8331530~pdp.gdfiaje).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Gumdrop Army Green one because it has a cover for the back camera and speaker is not covered at Costco.com (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11737200&search=ipad&Mo=27&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=ipad&Ntt=ipad&No=25&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1) it is in stock again for $67.99 and includes two replacement screens. The black or black/red is not in stock, but was available for $59.99. I'm not sure if I can justify a $30 price difference nor do I care for the color.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks in advance.

HallsofVA
12-27-2011, 09:58 AM
i have the red and black gumdrop case (and a squaretrade warranty - definitely don't think it's overkill to have both!) I used the gumdrop case for the first month or so, and felt it protected the pad extremely well. The only time I really tested the case when when I was carrying it around the office, swinging it in my hand, and swung it into the wall by accident. No damage to the pad, not sure about the wall!

The gumdrop does not have any sort of built in stand, which made it heavy to read in bed, watch movies, or play games on the airplane. Since I travel a lot, I ended up buying a Snugg case and separate screen protector, since I use the pad more than the kids. But I had no qualms giving the pad to my kids to play with when it was in the gumdrop case.

logan's mom
12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
We got an Ipad2 for Christmas and got an Otterbox cover so DS1 (2 y.o.) can use it. It has a 2 part cover-one part is hard plastic and the other is like a thick silicon. The hard plastic part has a stand built in and it there is a hole over the speaker to let sound through.

Not to make you more confused but have you considered an Otterbox?

ash
12-27-2011, 12:00 PM
We have the black survivor from Amazon (39.99) because our 2 year old uses it. I got it over the Gumdrop only because of price.

I'm not sure if both have the same material but my complaint with the Survivor is that it attracts fuzz, crumbs/dirt, etc easily. It is more noticeable because it is black. But, my daughter dropped it when I ran out of the room for a second and it is just fine. So, so far it has served it's purpose.

We have the defender case from Otterbox for our first generation and love it. I was just afraid to get it for the second because of some reviews.

sandwish
12-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I looked long and hard and eventually found a review that states the sound on the Survivor is muted but you can still hear it. That should be fine, I don't need the device to be too loud. Since there is like a $30 price difference I will probably go with the Survivor. I also would like to have a stand.

Now if only Amazon would stop lowering and raising their prices every hour.

whitkyle
12-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I got the gumdrop and LOVE it! I feel like it is super protected when my 4 and 6 year old are on the ipad. I thought I would really need a stand but we haven't missed it at all.

mrshalco
12-27-2011, 08:57 PM
After hemming and hawing through all these posts - I decided to go with the Griffin Survivor for my new iPad2. The Gumdrop came in a close second and I figured if I was unhappy about the Survivor - I would order the Gumdrop and sell the Survivor on craigslist. I figured they seem to be hard to come by in person so I'm sure I would have no problem selling it.

We use ipads in the school I work at A LOT! For me the stand was the deciding factor. We use the stand frequently and I figured my kids would use it too!

lexie's mom
12-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Maybe it is too late but saw this and ordered it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DUMR8G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=AS9UUXZ8KC49B

It is the otterbox defender series for $20. I thought it was a good deal!

sandwish
12-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Lexie's mom - that is a great deal if you have the iPad 1. But I have the iPad 2 and the otterbox for the iPad 2 has bad reviews, specifically there is no screen guard.

I went ahead and ordered the Griffing Survivor from macmall. They had a 3% fatwallet deal and no tax or shipping. However it now appears macmall and amazon are all showing out of stock. I think a lot of people got the iPad for Christmas and cases are flying off the shelves.

I'm now researching square trade warranties. Seems likes the best right now is 20% off and I'm hoping for a bit more.

Thanks.

lexie's mom
12-29-2011, 01:13 AM
@ sandwich, we did get the first gen and now looking for an iPod touch case. Also, going with one of those warranities, too

Any suggestions, I didn't compare prices, yet.

mrshalco
12-29-2011, 10:17 AM
If people are still looking for the griffin survivor - I found it here (and ordered it) for a pretty good price! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760725-REG/Griffin_Technology_GB02480_Survivor_Case.html I think mine came to 43ish with shipping but it's available and it shipped the day I ordered it. It's being delivered today!