PDA

View Full Version : I need a better ornament storage system

Jo..
12-18-2011, 01:08 AM
I have hundreds, if not thousands, of cherished ornaments. Many are hand -blown glass or homemade. We have purchased plastic (rubbermaid-like?) totes with cardboard dividers in the past. The dividers are crap and I want to throw them out. They collapse and do nothing to protect or separate my ornaments. The totes are fine.

Any good storage systems with plastic dividers or something else that won't break the bank? I can wait several weeks for a sale until after Jan.

brittone2
12-18-2011, 01:10 AM
how big are they?

I have no idea what to suggest but was curious how big the hand blown ones are since I assume they are some of the most delicate.

Jo..
12-18-2011, 01:24 AM
hmmm. most are just a couple of inches in diameter or less. The ones I got on clearance (thomas kincaid???) from Amazon a few years ago come with their own wooden storage crates and foam padding, so they are fine...

but the Lenox ones and the homemade ones etc etc are in jeopardy. Every year I pull out the the 8+ bins of ornaments, I also pull out the gorilla glue, and it's killing me.

Jo..
12-18-2011, 01:26 AM
hmmm. most are just a couple of inches in diameter or less. The ones I got on clearance (thomas kincaid???) from Amazon a few years ago come with their own wooden storage crates and foam padding, so they are fine...

but the Lenox ones and the homemade ones etc etc are in jeopardy. Every year I pull out the the 8+ bins of ornaments, I also pull out the gorilla glue, and it's killing me.

Not Thomas Kincaid...dunno where I got that. I meant Thomas Pacconi

cntrymoon2
12-18-2011, 01:46 AM
I have the Snapware ornament boxes that are three tiers. I love them. We got them about 4 years ago, and haven't had any problems. We always pick up by the bottom of the box, because I do think the layers could come unsnapped and it's not worth the risk for me.

This is a link, but this price is crazy high:
http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-60621-Snap-N-Stack-Ornament-Dividers/dp/B00076R95Q

I paid $10 per box at Bed, Bath and Beyond after a $5 off $15 coupon.

BeachBum
12-18-2011, 08:15 AM
We too have the snapware ones. But we still wrap each ornament in tissue paper.

I did see a DIY where they glued the small plastic cups to cardboard to then used one for each ornament before putting in the tubs.

maybe look on pinterest for ideas?

Momit
12-18-2011, 09:04 AM
I did see a DIY where they glued the small plastic cups to cardboard to then used one for each ornament before putting in the tubs.

maybe look on pinterest for ideas?

This could be a good idea. Start with stiff corrugated cardboard and stick styrofoam coffee cups to it, maybe supported at the corners and in the middle with an upside-down cup. We have the same problem with our current ornament storage "system," or lack thereof.

kristac
12-18-2011, 09:18 AM
http://pinterest.com/search/?q=ornament+storage

Mamma2004
12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I have hundreds, if not thousands, of cherished ornaments. Many are hand -blown glass or homemade. We have purchased plastic (rubbermaid-like?) totes with cardboard dividers in the past. The dividers are crap and I want to throw them out. They collapse and do nothing to protect or separate my ornaments. The totes are fine.

Any good storage systems with plastic dividers or something else that won't break the bank? I can wait several weeks for a sale until after Jan.

We have a few of the fancy ornament bins with individual dividers. However, even that didn't seem to address the need for real protection for those very delicate ornaments.

***We now wrap each fragile ornament in tissue paper and place a dozen in each plastic APPLE PACK from Costco! We no longer buy many apples there but over the course of a year we were able to accumulate many, many of these ideal containers. Now our ornaments are safely stored in these packs before going into the larger bins. HTH!

Jenn850
12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't know if I would be comfortable with anything but wrapping each one in tissue. Mine are different sizes and shapes. I keep the Radko and the like ones separate from other ones but I have one bin of these not 6!!! Do you have 3 trees? I love the tradition of pulling each ornament out of the tissue and putting it on the tree... but i think by box 5 I might be sick of it;) I'll be watching for a great solution.. but with a little skepticism.

Jo..
12-18-2011, 10:11 AM
http://pinterest.com/search/?q=ornament+storage

egg cartons! That will be BRILLIANT for the smaller ones!!!

eb1
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I use thin bubblewrap around the glass ornaments--I cut small, varying size squares of bubblewrap and wrap each ornament individually, sealed with tape. I've never had a glass ornament break with this system and I can pile a ton of them into a plastic bin, and the wrap keeps them from shifting too. The bonus is that the ornament packages are see-through, so I can tell at a glance whether I want to unwrap it that year. I cut the bubblewrap years ago and just re-use the squares each year, and often the tape, so there's really no labor or expense involved other than the first year. I also separate my ornaments into different bins--all glass in one, for instance, so I know which bin to be particularly careful with. However, the ornaments have survived two major moves with this system (from one house to another) without any extra care. I leave glass balls in their original packaging. I separate some glass ornaments into shoeboxes within the larger bin--so all glass birds in one box, for instance.

azzeps
12-18-2011, 02:25 PM
We store all our holiday stuff in big rubbermaid bins. Inside, I put ornaments inside shoebox sized plastic boxes that I got at Target. i think they are Sterlite. I don't know. They have blue lids and they were pretty cheap. I think I can fit 6 or maybe 8 inside one rubbermaid bin. I think it keeps everything pretty safe. I line the boxes with tissue paper and the more delicate things get wrapped in bubble wrap.

Carrots
12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I have hundreds of ornaments that have been collected over many many years. I actually use wine boxes from the liquor store (free). They come with the dividers already in place and I wrap my ornaments with paper napkins and paper towels. I have never had a broken ornament!

Sweetum
12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
You know what, I was thinking about this: use beer cartons! Cut them in half and remove the bottom. Next take a shoes box, line with bubble wrap, put one piece of the beer carton in there, put your ornaments, next put a layer of bubble wrap, then a piece of the beer carton in there, put your ornaments, next put a layer of bubble wrap, then a piece of cardboard or something light but sturdy thing and repeat.

nupe
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I've been saving a few of the costco apple containers for ornament storage, but haven't tried yet.

Jo..
12-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I am in OK and have no Costco in state, so no apple boxes for me.

I DO wrap fragile glass ornaments in bubble wrap or packing paper, but I am so sick of unwrapping and re-wrapping hundreds of ornaments every year. And the ones I don't wrap...even the plastic or wooden ones, etc., sometimes break.

I just want a system where I can plunk ornaments in safely and go go go...like the egg cartons or the snapware.

Has anyone tried one of these? They look promising.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/ornament-storage-box--72-count/clearance/10808?isCrossSell=true&strategy=6

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/38435/6h/s7diod-isorigin.scene7.com/is/image/Improvements/T_WithZoom?$product_main$&$src=351628_main

I would need a bunch and DH would not be happy with me, but whatever.
Off to search for coupons and reviews.

Jo..
12-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I got 5 of them. $92.85 shipped. Will hold 360 ornaments...I hope that's enough for the very fragile ones.

DH is going to flip.

I used code sav2011 for 20% off. Shipping was 13 (went up to 17 for 6-7 boxes).

My only comfort is that if I bought these at retail without a code, I would have spent well over $200.

On the one hand, it's not the inexpensive foolproof system I hoped for. On the other hand, it looks sturdy and easy and neat, and for less than 26 cents per ornament, they will (hopefully) be stored safely and easily for many years.

danagee
12-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Jo, I can't believe this, I wasn't even in the market for a storage box but bought one of those after reading your post!
I NEED to step away from the computer...

Jo..
12-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Jo, I can't believe this, I wasn't even in the market for a storage box but bought one of those after reading your post!
I NEED to step away from the computer...
LOL! I say that every dang day

Jo..
12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
OMG I am such a dumb big hairy butt.

I just realized that they have great tree storage bags with EXCELLENT reviews for half price+code.

I tried to call to add it to my order, but it already shipped...I don't want to spend $7 to ship this, and am sick of stuffing my fake tree into 3 huge drum liners. :(

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/christmas-tree-storage-bag/10809

If you see other great deals on this site, please let me know. I am in the mood to place order #2

cntrymoon2
12-20-2011, 01:22 AM
I got a very similar bag at Home Depot or Lowes after Christmas a few years ago. I've never had any problems with it. If you wait until after Christmas, you might be able to snag a deal on one.

lhafer
12-20-2011, 10:16 AM
OMG I am such a dumb big hairy butt.

I just realized that they have great tree storage bags with EXCELLENT reviews for half price+code.

I tried to call to add it to my order, but it already shipped...I don't want to spend $7 to ship this, and am sick of stuffing my fake tree into 3 huge drum liners. :(

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/christmas-tree-storage-bag/10809

If you see other great deals on this site, please let me know. I am in the mood to place order #2

OMG, I SOOO need this!! I have had our artificial tree going on 6 years now, and every single year I stuff back into the pitiful cardboard box it came in! I probably use more tape on that damn box keeping it together than I do on all our wrapped gifts combined!! :rotflmao:

I am SO buying one of these bags this year!

sewarsh
12-20-2011, 10:27 AM
OMG, I SOOO need this!! I have had our artificial tree going on 6 years now, and every single year I stuff back into the pitiful cardboard box it came in! I probably use more tape on that damn box keeping it together than I do on all our wrapped gifts combined!! :rotflmao:

I am SO buying one of these bags this year!

i know. i want 2. i HATE to pay shipping though!!
i keep thinking that they'll go on sale after xmas, but that's when people will want them!

sewarsh
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I used code sav2011 for 20% off. Shipping was 13 (went up to 17 for 6-7 boxes).

Jo, I can't get the code to work.
Do you know if it expired?

Jo..
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
sav2011
Improvementscatalog.com: 20% off 1st order over $75. Exp 12/31/11

Probably because you need $75. I wish I could find a better code. I want that tree bag. :(

lhafer
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
sav2011
Improvementscatalog.com: 20% off 1st order over $75. Exp 12/31/11

Probably because you need $75. I wish I could find a better code. I want that tree bag. :(

Sometimes shipping is worth it to me. Like in this case. I am the one who gets the tree down, puts it all together, decorates it, takes all the decorations down, and takes the tree down every year. I can't tell you how much profanity comes out of my mouth getting that stupid tree back in the box it came in!! And it pokes/scratches/makes me itch doing it. So yes, $7 is worth it to me in this case!

lhafer
12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Is there a difference between the 1/2 off burgandy colored bag versus the $20 green bag? They seem the same (same material, same size). Why is one $35 (before the sale) and one $20?

Pontoof
12-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I am in OK and have no Costco in state, so no apple boxes for me.

I DO wrap fragile glass ornaments in bubble wrap or packing paper, but I am so sick of unwrapping and re-wrapping hundreds of ornaments every year. And the ones I don't wrap...even the plastic or wooden ones, etc., sometimes break.

I just want a system where I can plunk ornaments in safely and go go go...like the egg cartons or the snapware.

Has anyone tried one of these? They look promising.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/ornament-storage-box--72-count/clearance/10808?isCrossSell=true&strategy=6

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/38435/6h/s7diod-isorigin.scene7.com/is/image/Improvements/T_WithZoom?$product_main$&$src=351628_main

I would need a bunch and DH would not be happy with me, but whatever.
Off to search for coupons and reviews.
Please, please do a review on this after you get this and pack up your ornaments. I would love a new way to organize. Thanks!!!

cntrymoon2
12-22-2011, 04:52 AM
If anyone is still looking for ornament storage boxes, the snapware stackable ones are going on sale for $9 at Target. Details here (from FW):
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1154076/

chlobo
12-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Jo,

those look like great ornament storage boxes. I might get some myself.

nebwhit
12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Jo can you post a review of the ornament boxes when you get them?

Jo..
12-22-2011, 09:43 AM
They are coming today (hopefully when DH is at work) ;)

I will let you know!

KLD313
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
The Christmas Tree Shop has similar ornament storage cases. They hold 24 ornaments and are $3.99 each. Idk how they work because I just bought them but they look promising.

Jo..
12-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Mine came today and at first I was disappointed. The dividers are still cardboard, and felt flimsy. They have a strip of cloth running along the top. Somehow, from the pictures online I thought they were entirely cloth lined plastic or something. Duh.

Once I got them together, they seemed far more substantial. The bins are the size of a box of copy paper. The individual trays are fabric, and come with decently thick cardboard bottoms that add rigidity. The tray system seems far more secure than my previous bins, which just had a flat pc of cardboard with dividers resting on top.

The exterior bins themselves are awesome...thick and heavy and substantial.

All in all I feel these will be well worth the price paid. My only (small) gripe is that I wish they made the dividers thicker. I mean, really, how much could it cost to add a mm of cardboard? a few pennies?

On a scale of 1-10, they get an 8. I would give them a solid 10 for thicker cardboard dividers.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/006-38.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/005-34.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/007-36.jpg

essnce629
12-23-2011, 06:05 PM
The dividers are still cardboard, and felt flimsy. They have a strip of cloth running along the top. Somehow, from the pictures online I thought they were entirely cloth lined plastic or something. Duh.

Once I got them together, they seemed far more substantial. The bins are the size of a box of copy paper. The individual trays are fabric, and come with decently thick cardboard bottoms that add rigidity. The tray system seems far more secure than my previous bins, which just had a flat pc of cardboard with dividers resting on top.

From the pictures on their website I also thought the dividers were entirely cloth lined. I really like that they sit in the trays though, which seems like it would keep it a lot more sturdy. My current system also just came with the cardboard dividers that sit on a piece of flat cardboard (which we accidently threw away at some point over the years!!!)

Jo..
12-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I only wound up using four of the boxes, but am glad I ordered 5, as they are now OOS. #5 can hold the ones I am sure to collect over future years.

For some of my larger ornaments, I wound up leaving a divider or two out of each tray to create bigger spaces. 90% of my ornaments fit in the small spaces created using all dividers, but it was nice to be able to customize them to fit the bigger ones.

Once the boxes were together, it was SO EASY just to put an ornament in each spot and move on. It took me maybe 15 minutes to store every ornament, vs a job that used to take me several hours. No more tissue paper, no more bubble wrap, no more crappy dividers and mismatched boxes.

I am happy. :)

elephantmeg
12-26-2011, 09:33 PM
yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JanBaby
12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Sigh. I've now convinced myself that I need these to replace my current flimsy cardboard dividers. Maybe it's a good thing they are out of stock.