PDA

View Full Version : Which wool dress coat?

nupe
12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
For work wear, thinking of these:

Boden of course, only because I adore my chartreuse one from last year. One of these is on it's way to me, hoping sizing works out...

In black:
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Coats-Jackets/Coats/BE013/Womens-Flower-Button-Coat.html

In purple:
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Coats-Jackets/Coats/WE320/Womens-Rosette-Coat.html

And then this coat at Banana, much less $$ after 40% off! http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=25789&vid=1&pid=874883&scid=874883012

ETA: Tried and returned several Anthro ones...

tarnator
12-19-2011, 12:53 AM
They all seem very different.

1. Very formal and could easily work as an evening coat. Beautiful.
2. Very retro. I like it. It is a bit more casual.
3. The most classic of the 3. Less likely to get tired of it. But not as interesting as the other 2.

Not sure what your work place is like, but they all look like they would work to me!

citymama
12-19-2011, 02:34 AM
See how they look on, of course. Surprisingly, I like the BR one the best. Classic, clean, looks like good quality. The first Boden one looked like it might look a little cheesy depending on the quality of the buttons. A high end coat with plasticky looking buttons doesn't work. But maybe they look great in person. The second one in purple could look fab on, but the way they display it, it looks kinda 50s...but cool or frumpy, it's hard to tell.

Tondi G
12-19-2011, 03:33 AM
I like #1! #3 is nice looking but a bunch of the reviews said the coat pills ... that would make me skip it.

I wish I wasn't so sensitive to wool.... I love the look of wool coats but I can't wear them... I start itching like crazy.... even with a lining. I wish someone would make a great peacoat/structured coat in a heavy fleece or something that looked like wool but didn't make me itch!

arivecchi
12-19-2011, 08:20 AM
#1 is my favorite.

nupe
01-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all your input!

Coats 1 and 2 arrived, I got my "usual size" in both.

I really liked #1 for the fit: fitted on top, and flare on the bottom, makes it easy to get in and out of cars, even SUVs. Fabric has a nice feel and didn't seem to pick up lint the way #2 did. Buttons look fun, yet look like they will hold up. Snaps easier to work with when wearing gloves vs traditional buttons. Liked the pockets on the sides. And at least indoors, warmer than it looks.

As for #2 in purple, the color and details were fun. Looser fit on top, might be good for layers. Similar flare on bttom. Looked like the corner above the top button was droopy. Fabric was lint magnet and had a much coarser feel than #1.

I kept #1, returned #2. Left #3 in the store.

Thank you!

nupe
01-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Turns out #1 had a funny left arm sleeve seam that was all puckered. Ordered another #1, another puckered seam, down the back. So back they all went. I was really suprised. #1 was so cute otherwise.

Ended up with a black coat from talbot's, supposedly with thinsulate and the yucky generic zipper, hoping that it does okay, especially since so many have had problems with the YKK LE zippers. Now that I have some time to search on the web I realize I probably should have checked out J Crew. Maybe next year.