PDA

View Full Version : ISO a deal on a trike for a 3 yr old - recs needed too!

Babymakes3
12-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I have a Thomas tricycle that ds got last year but he has a really hard time riding it. I was thinking Big Wheel but i'm not sure they are as popular as they were when I was a kid...oh and the ones I found are expensive!

MamaInMarch
12-18-2011, 11:19 PM
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod4800274&navAction=

DS has this tricycle and he loves it. He was 2 in March and has been able to pedal it since about July. It has a bell, which he rings contantly and he likes to haul toys on the little deck on the back. I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue if it is a reasonable price for a trike. My parents bought it for him.

mommytoC
12-18-2011, 11:23 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the Schwinn Roadster. It's a big trike (i.e. with plenty of growing room for my very tall 2.5 year old), but seems easy to ride.
I bought ours (in pink) last November on Amazon for $50, though they did go as low as $35 sometime last December.

It doesn't look like there are any great deals this year, but IMO, it's worth the price:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=schwinn+roadster&hl=en&cid=2165341085100853778&ei=cqzuTr7wGJKeM-ffhM8B&ved=0CBYQ8wIwAw#scoring=tp

Or would a balance bike be a better option for your DS? I'm guessing that by next summer, DD#2 may prefer to ride her sister's old bike with training wheels.
(My DD#1 transitioned to a bike with training wheels at 2.5 years old, after outgrowing her much smaller trike.)

nfceagles
12-19-2011, 10:04 AM
We also love the Schwinn Roadster. It had longevity for two reasons. One, it's well built. Two, it's low rider, big-wheel style makes it something kids can continue riding as they age without looking like a dorky big kid riding a baby toy. I think I got a good deal on ours and paid around $40, but I would gladly pay $65 if I had to. We got ours years ago when my now 6.5 yr old was 3. He still gets on it fairly often, but it's technically now my 3.5 yo DDs. The seat is adjustable so that helps too, not sure if that's typical of other brands.

MizMojoLaveau
12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
my 2.5 year old is now getting really into his strider balance bike that we got when he turned 2. Also the radio flyer trike with parent pushbar has gotten love (like the kettler one but less expensive).

Daphnecita
12-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the Schwinn Roadster. It's a big trike (i.e. with plenty of growing room for my very tall 2.5 year old), but seems easy to ride.
I bought ours (in pink) last November on Amazon for $50, though they did go as low as $35 sometime last December.

We were fortunate to get one for $35 last year--what a steal! It's worth about twice that IMO. It was for our then 2 yo DD1 and it was too big for her but now at the age of 3 she loves it. It's a really cute bike that I will be keeping even after they outgrow it.

Another good thing about this trike is that it has regular rubber bike wheels --we don't have any concrete for her to ride on so it was important for us to find something she could ride on the ground.