PDA

View Full Version : How to cook a prime rib? Please give me tips :)

AnimalBabe
12-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi all! I am planning on making a Prime Rib (or I guess it'll be an Eye Roast) for Christmas dinner. Let me say, I never make Christmas dinner and rarely make large meals by myself for company, so I really need advice. I tried making a small version of this recently for my husband and me since I had never cooked one before, but I got it without the bones and I think that was a mistake. I would like to make one this time with the bones and it will be for at least 4 people (possibly 4 adults and 2 kids). This is what I've read and am planning to do so far, but if anyone makes this routinely and has suggestions or thinks I shouldn't do something please advise. Thanks so much! I really don't want to ruin such an expensive cut of meat!!

*Size? 3 ribs?? (from the small/loin end)
*I read I should ask the butcher to cut off the rib bones and then tie them back on so it makes it easier to cut later..is that right? Do they mind doing that?

1. Let stand at room temp for 2 hrs (I read this makes it cook more evenly)
2. Do you salt it? (Some recipes say no b/c it takes out the juices, some say use kosher salt)
3. Rub with olive oil or butter? Also, sprinkle with ground pepper, rosemary, and garlic
4. I'm planning on putting carrots, celery, and onions in the bottom of the roasting pan--I never knew, should these be pushed to the sides of the pan, does it matter??
5. Cook fat side up/ribs down at 450 degress for the first 15 mins OR sear all sides in a pan (which is better? My husband wanted more of a crust last time when I had not used the stovetop)
6. Then reduce oven temp to 325 degrees and cook 13-15 mins/lb..I want it to be medium I think (I don't like bloody meat), so take out at 135 degrees??
7. Let rest 15-20 mins and make gravy (now I don't know quantities at all..but I read to use 2 tablespoons of the fat only, then add beef stock and red wine and bring to a boil, then season with salt and pepper)
8. Do you thicken your gravy? I read to serve it with an au jus, but I think I'd prefer a normal gravy.

THANK YOU!

Karenn
12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm going to follow this recipe:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/12/prime-rib/

Pioneer Woman hasn't steered me wrong yet.

boolady
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/sunday-rib-roast-recipe/index.html

I've done this many times, and it works great but definitely make sure your oven is clean.

JElaineB
12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I use my rotisserie cooker to cook a small prime rib (with bone) for Christmas dinner. I "dry age" if first - I think it realy enhances the flavor. Here's how if you are interested: http://www.finecooking.com/articles/dry-aging-beef-pays-off-big-flavor.aspx. I do think leaving it out a couple hours before cooking is a good idea. I need to look and see if I do anything else, I can't remember off the top of my head. I think perhaps I just salt it with some kosher or sea salt.

AnimalBabe
12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the tips so far. Keep them coming! :)

Do you all get a bone-in roast? Does it make much of a difference in flavor to get it with the ribs? I know it adds to the cost since it's heavier...