PDA

View Full Version : $500 Restaurant.com Gift Card for $30

JoyNChrist
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM
This was on the Today Show this morning. I just bought one for my aunt who lives in Houston and loves to try new restaurants.

Here's the link to the deal. Scroll down and click on the restaurant.com link and enter TodayRestaurant as the promo code.

http://hip2save.com/2011/12/20/steals-and-deals-ann-taylor-faux-fur-tea-hair-styling-tools-and-more/

mollyrryan
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
What is the deal with restaurant.com? I have never bought any of their certificates because I have always been a little skeptical . . . I guess my general instinct is that if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Has anyone used these? Is it legit? Any catch?

JoyNChrist
12-20-2011, 12:10 PM
We've used them several times when we're traveling (there aren't many participating restaurants where we live). No catches that I've experienced.

ETA - Forgot to put that you are usually responsible for a portion of the meal. So say you buy a $25 certificate for $10. What you're actually getting is $25 off a $35 minimum purchase. That's just an example - it's in the fine print when you purchase.

mom2khj
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
We've used them a few times and have had no issues. Just be sure to read the fine-print. Most of the time you're buying a coupon, not a gift cert. Most require a certain amount to be spent in conjunction with the gift cert. Some also automatically tack on gratuity (at 18%), but in our experience, the place that has this in the fine print doesn't actually do it.

MamaInMarch
12-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I have only tried it once but it was no problem when we did get it and it ended up being a great deal. We paid about $2 for the $25 certificate with a minimum purchase at the restaurant of $50. We went on a night where they had a special where you got 3 rolls of sushi and a bowl of miso soup for $25, normally about $10-15 a roll there. So all in all it cost us about $27 plus tax and tip for a $70+ meal. They were very nice and had no trouble honoring the certificate.

Momit
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
We enjoy using them and have also given them to other people - not as a big gift but more like a hey, this sounds like a place you would like.

I stock up when they're 90% off like they are now. The only thing I would add to watch for is whether alcoholic beverages are excluded from counting toward your purchase.

Bens Momma
12-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Not that this is a bad deal, but I just want to caution you before buying that you have to pay face value for restaurant certificates when using a restaurant.com gift card. So even though they run specials every month where you can get certificates for 70-80% off ($3 for a $25 certificate), you will have to pay the full value if using a gift card to buy it. I got a $25 gift card a few months back and tried to use it for a restaurant certificate that cost $3 (with discount code) for $25 value at the restaurant...I was only allowed to buy it at full value ie. $20 for $25, so a little savings but not as good as just buying a certificate with a discount code. Sorry if my explanation is confusing, just wanted to let you know that the gift card has some limits.

anamika
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Not that this is a bad deal, but I just want to caution you before buying that you have to pay face value for restaurant certificates when using a restaurant.com gift card. So even though they run specials every month where you can get certificates for 70-80% off ($3 for a $25 certificate), you will have to pay the full value if using a gift card to buy it. I got a $25 gift card a few months back and tried to use it for a restaurant certificate that cost $3 (with discount code) for $25 value at the restaurant...I was only allowed to buy it at full value ie. $20 for $25, so a little savings but not as good as just buying a certificate with a discount code. Sorry if my explanation is confusing, just wanted to let you know that the gift card has some limits.

Thanks for the explanation. That is very good to know.
We have stopped buying ahead of time because we are so bad at redeeming. Some of the restaurants have closed in the time we took to redeem! So what we do now is pick a restaurant then go online and check for restaurant.com coupons. Works surprisingly well since we use it on the day of.

OKKiddo
12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Hmm, do you think this might make a good gift for a preschool teacher and another for a therapist?

ABO Mama
12-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Hmm, do you think this might make a good gift for a preschool teacher and another for a therapist?

I don't think it makes a good present, because the person has to spend money in order to use it.

Katigre
12-20-2011, 10:16 PM
No, it's equivalent to giving someone a Groupon for a present - they still have to fork over money and plan to use it by researching which restaurants accept it (these are not well-known restaurants either). It's not like a regular gift card.

babybell
12-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Restaurant also has 90% off your entire order right now with code "JOY".

ETA: And Ebates is 30%!

stillplayswithbarbies
12-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the explanation. That is very good to know.
We have stopped buying ahead of time because we are so bad at redeeming. Some of the restaurants have closed in the time we took to redeem! So what we do now is pick a restaurant then go online and check for restaurant.com coupons. Works surprisingly well since we use it on the day of.

You can get the value of it back on restaurant.com if a restaurant has gone out of business or stopped participating in the program.

JoyNChrist
12-21-2011, 02:44 PM
No, it's equivalent to giving someone a Groupon for a present - they still have to fork over money and plan to use it by researching which restaurants accept it (these are not well-known restaurants either). It's not like a regular gift card.

:yeahthat:

I bought one for my aunt, but we're close and I know she likes trying new restaurants and spends a lot of money eating out. So this will save her money, and I usually only give her photos for Christmas, so this is just like a bonus gift.

It's not something I'd buy as a regular gift for most people on my list.