PDA

View Full Version : America's Test Kitchen Cutout Cookies?

elbenn
12-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Anyone made this recipe? Is it really easier than other recipes and less messy? I have never made cutouts and I might try it. FWIW, I don't have the cookbook, but I can sign up for the free trial on their website.

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I haven't tried that one but I have certainly tried many! I now have a new favorite (some Cheryl's knock off recipe with some almond extract included). Anyway, my biggest tip is to use Glad Press and Seal. I lay some out on the counter and then sprinkle with a little flour. I then put the dough on top of that and then another piece of the Press and Seal. I roll through the wrap. My rolling pin doesn't stick and b/c it is press and seal, it sticks to my counters (but cleans up easily). Man, it has made working with roll out dough so much more pleasant for me. Then I just take it, as is, and put it in the fridge. I keep the bottom layer of wrap on when I cut out the cookies and repeat the rolling process as needed.

elbenn
12-20-2011, 05:24 PM
That's good to know about the press and seal. America's Test Kitchen recommends parchment paper, which I think would accomplish the same thing.

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2011, 05:34 PM
It doesn't. I have tried it and waxed paper. It slides and slips and annoys the heck out of me. :)

theriviera
12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I haven't tried that one but I have certainly tried many! I now have a new favorite (some Cheryl's knock off recipe with some almond extract included). Anyway, my biggest tip is to use Glad Press and Seal. I lay some out on the counter and then sprinkle with a little flour. I then put the dough on top of that and then another piece of the Press and Seal. I roll through the wrap. My rolling pin doesn't stick and b/c it is press and seal, it sticks to my counters (but cleans up easily). Man, it has made working with roll out dough so much more pleasant for me. Then I just take it, as is, and put it in the fridge. I keep the bottom layer of wrap on when I cut out the cookies and repeat the rolling process as needed.

do you put the sticky side of the press and seal on the counter?

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Both sides stick, ime. But, I could be wrong and in that case, yes, sticky side down.

minnie-zb
12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I used this recipe in July:

http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/06/basic-sugar-cookie-recipe-2/

It worked really well and the cookies were yummy. I don't normally like to eat these kind of cookies, but these were really good.

Beth24
12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I've made the ATK recipe. I found the dough very easy to work with. The key for me is to keep it cool...I put it back in the refrigerator a lot!

BeachBum
12-20-2011, 07:16 PM
The ones we use are below. I find them to be very shortbread-ish which I like. The dough is very forgiving for re-rolling the scraps.
I too refrigerate the dough in between batches.
I just roll the cookies on my silpat then bake on there. But I agree that the press and seal method works well. I've never used it on the top though, only cling.

Celebration Sugar Cookies
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 3/4 c flour
1/2 c cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c butter -- at room temperature
1/2 c shortening
1 c sugar
1 egg
2 tsps vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract -- (I cut back on this)

Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the egg and extracts and mix until blended, about 1 minute. Add the flour on low speed and mix until just incorporated. Divide dough in half and form it into 2 smooth disks about 6 inches in diameter. Wrap disks in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. (don't leave it in too long or it will get too hard) Roll out dough to 3/16 inch thick. Cut out cookies and transfer to parchment lined baking sheets. Decorate with colored sugars and sprinkles. Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 14 minutes at 350. Cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. The cookies can be layered between sheets of waxed paper and stored in a tightly covered container for up to 1 week.

Source:
"adapted from Big Fat Cookies (ingredients the same, just the wording
is different)"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -