PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a rut and need help!

Kymberley
12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
DH claims he is not picky, but he really is. He hates anything from a slow cooker. He hates casseroles. Doesn't like baked dishes including chicken. Doesn't like ingredients to come from a can (gives him horrible heartburn), so ingredients are fresh or frozen. Because he gets home so late (10:30) and often doesn't get a chance to eat during the day, I like to have his meal be substantial. I've been trying out new recipes for MONTHS in an attempt to figure out a 2 week, non-repeating, meal plan. So far I have 6 solid meals, and another 2 that are maybe once a month as they are fried.
Here are the solid 6:

Stir fry (beef or chicken)
Meatloaf
Lasagna
Spaghetti bake
Tacos
Cajun chicken pasta (a-la Pioneer Woman)

The 2 once-a-month (if that) rotations are fried chicken or pork chops. We're from the south, and we love fried anything, but I really try not to have this too often. Sometimes we go longer than a month, unless he requests it.

Staples in the house are chicken, flat iron steak, and ground beef. We eat a lot of fish in the summer, but I usually leave that for him to make as I am clueless about fish. I suppose I could make something like a pot roast, but I'll have to find a unique way to make it as he hates those too. Ugh. Do you have any meal ideas to help me expand our menu? Please?

twowhat?
12-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Meat-wise, our staple is a whole roasted chicken. I know you say he doesn't like baked but I bring this up because I don't like baked chicken either...but this is really good. Better than rotissierie chicken that you buy from the store. This is a recipe I adapted from fine cooking but I majorly simplified it - the "magic" here is in the butterflying and then roasting - everything cooks evenly and comes out moist and delicious)

Get a 3.5 lb natural chicken (they really do taste better IMO) and butterfly it - cut out the backbone with kitchen shears, flip over and press down on breast to break the breastbone so that it lies flat. I do all this in the kitchen sink for easy clean-up. While still lin the sink, sprinkle salt generously all over and stick it in a large ziplock. Add maybe 1/3 cup of lemon juice. Press out all the air, seal, and turn it over to distribute lemon juice. Refrigerate overnight on a large dish in case the bag leaks (you're essentially brining it).

The next day, but it on a flat rack in a roasting pan, dry it off, and rub olive oil all over. Sprinle with pepper and whatever other spices you like (thyme, rosemarry, etc).

Roast at 375 for 45-55 min or until thigh is 175 degrees. Let rest 15 min before carving.

The shredded meat makes a great chicken salad for sandwiches too.

Our other staple is salmon. It's the easiest thing EVER to cook. Buy thicker filets (1 inch thick - I ask for pieces from the head end rather than the tail end). If the pieces are thin, fold them under to get about a 1-inch thickness. Place skin-side down in roasting pan. Rub EVOO, salt and pepper over each filet. Roast at 425 for 11-12 minutes ONLY. It cooks quickly and you do NOT want to overcook it - in fact you even want it just a hair undercooked when you take it out so that when you let it rest, it finishes cooking. Leftovers are great on a salad. Another easy way to flavor it is with honey/dijon mustard - I just make a paste using honey, dijon, and EVOO and rub it on. Cook the same way.

We like steaks too every now and then, and will thinly slice leftovers and slice hardboiled eggs, add tomato and feta for a steak salad.

What about chili? I love a good chili.

g-mama's chicken and dumpling soup:)

For veggies I either steam or boil frozen veggies, or I cook asparagus since it's so easy - snap off woody ends, throw in a glass dish, add EVOO, S&P and then nuke for 3 minutes (this is for one bunch). Perfect every time.

Kymberley
12-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Your roasted chicken sound right up my ally! Thank you for the detailed cooking instructions!

It's funny you mention salmon. We used to eat it all of the time. We'd get it at Sam's. We went to pick some up the other day and they didn't have any. DH was not too happy. I will definitely try to cook it the way you suggest the next time we can get a good piece. DH usually cooks it, but he'd be thrilled if I would do it! Especially with the mustard rub. Oh my heavens!

Chili- have wanted to make for ages and keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder!

G-mamas chicken and dumpling soup- Making it next week! It sounds wonderful!

Thank you so much!

pinkmomagain
12-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Would he like a beef stew? So yummy and substantial. It's nice because you can serve it up with a loaf of bread on the side and it's a full meal with yummy potatoes and veggies mixed in with the tender meat.

Kymberley
12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Would he like a beef stew? So yummy and substantial. It's nice because you can serve it up with a loaf of bread on the side and it's a full meal with yummy potatoes and veggies mixed in with the tender meat.

Possibly, as long as it never touches a slow cooker. I swear he sees that thing and automatically thinks "YUCK". I'll look for a stove top recipe. Thanks for the suggestion!

vludmilla
12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Chicken and Broccoli in Alfredo Sauce over pasta
Cheeseburger Pie (no crust, kind of a casserole but tastes AMAZING)
Quesadillas (Fill with cheese, beans, cilantro...) Fry up the flour tortillas a little before you put the fillings on, it makes them so much better
Stews or Soups
Chicken Parmesan
Spaghetti with meat sauce
Broken up sausage in sauce over pasta
Tacos (use leftover meat on a big salad the next night)
Sausage and peppers
Crispy pancetta and peas over farfalle pasta

MommyAllison
12-22-2011, 10:57 PM
These two always go over well here (her blog has tons of great recipes!):
Pineapple Meatballs http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/06/pineapple-meatballs.html
Sweet & Sour Chicken http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/07/sweet-and-sour-chicken-updated.html

Breakfast for dinner is another favorite of DH and the kids.

eagle
01-13-2012, 06:30 AM
swedish meatballs are a favorite at our house.

i learned the recipe from simply recipes

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/swedish_meatballs/

eagle
01-13-2012, 06:33 AM
have you ever made pasta carbonara? very simple but very filling AND it doesnt require a whole lot of ingredients.

pasta carbonara recipe

1 lb pasta
1/4 to 1/2 lb sliced bacon
half a head garlic, peeled and minced
2 large eggs
black pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. When it is boiling, throw the pasta in. Boil gently until the pasta is al dente.

While the pasta is boiling, prepare the sauce: Cut the bacon crosswise into pieces about 1/2 inch wide. Put them in a skillet and cook for 2 minutes, until fat begins to render. Add the minced garlic and cook another 5 minutes, until the edges of the bacon just begin to get crisp. Do not overcook; if the bacon gets too crisp they won't meld with the pasta.

Meanwhile, break the eggs into the bowl you will serve the pasta in, and beat them with a fork. Add some grindings of pepper.

When the pasta is done, drain (do not rinse) and immediately throw it into the beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly. The heat of the pasta will cook the eggs and turn them into a sauce. Add the bacon with its fat, toss again, add cheese and serve.

adapted from Ruth Reichl

eagle
01-13-2012, 06:39 AM
another pasta dish (we eat a lot of asian dishes, maybe i will post those too... but we also eat a lot of baked dishes and casseroles. since your dh doesnt like those, im posting pastas!)

to me, this is a nice change from regular pastas because of the mole-like sauce the beef is cooked in. it has chili powder, cocoa and cinnamon. it sounds weird but it tastes amazing. its different!

give it a try!

(also for this recipe, you can skip the kidney beans since those are canned and your dh gets heartburn. the rest is from scratch! oh. the chicken broth isnt. is chicken broth ok?)

Cincinnati Chili

Serves 6 to 8.

Choose a relatively plain tomato sauce-nothing too spicy or herbaceous. To warm the kidney beans, simmer them in water to cover for several minutes and then drain.

Ingredients
Chili
2 teaspoons table salt or more to taste
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions , chopped fine (about 2 cups)
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press
(about 2 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
2 cups tomato sauce
hot pepper sauce

Accompaniments
1 pound spaghetti , cooked, drained, and tossed with 2 tablespoons of
unsalted butter
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
1 can red kidney beans (15-ounce), drained, rinsed, and warmed
1 medium white onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
Instructions

1. FOR THE CHILI: Bring 2 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the ground chuck, stirring vigorously to separate the meat into individual strands. As soon as the foam from the meat rises to the top (this takes about 30 seconds) and before the water returns to a boil, drain the meat into a strainer and set it aside.

2. Rinse and dry the empty saucepan. Set the pan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and browned around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, black pepper, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, water, vinegar, sugar, and tomato sauce, scraping the pan bottom to remove any browned bits.

3. Add the blanched ground beef and increase the heat to high. As soon as the liquid boils, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is deep red and has thickened slightly, about 1 hour. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt and hot pepper sauce to taste. (The chili can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat before serving.)

4. TO SERVE: Divide the buttered spaghetti among individual bowls. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti and top with the cheese, beans, and onion. Serve immediately.

cincinnati chili is traditionally served "5-way"

Cincinnati chili lovers order their chili by number. Two, Three, Four, or Five Way. Let your guest create their own final product.

Two-Way Chili: Chili served on spaghetti

Three-Way Chili: Additionally topped with shredded Cheddar cheese

Four-Way Chili: Additionally topped with chopped onions

Five-Way Chili: Additionally topped with kidney beans

eagle
01-13-2012, 06:45 AM
some more dishes that are not baked and do not require slow cookers:

ratatouille. pick your favorite recipe. so many kinds. we eat ours over rice or pasta.

curry. we love our japanese curry. very forgiving and you can use up so many different kinds of veggies. basically any kind. and it also accepts all manner of meats/tofu (chicken, beef, lamb, shrimp, pork). curries are so versatile.

but i also love indian curry. ive learned two indian curries. one ill post in a bit. the other is a tomato cauliflower curry.

have you ever made pizza on a cookie sheet? we love zucchini pizza!

also, do you like bulgogi? kind of spendy, though. i suppose not that spendy.

eagle
01-13-2012, 06:49 AM
okay, this dish is easy BUT the ingredients are a little harder to find. once you buy your bottle of soy sauce paste, rock sugar (in a pinch, you can just add granulated sugar) and fried shallots, you are good to go for half a year or so!

rou zhao fan

this is a seasoned ground pork dish

a pound of ground pork
1/2 to 3/4 cup fried shallots
a splash of soy sauce (1-2T)
a good glob of soy sauce paste (1-2T)
a splash of rice wine
a dribble of sesame oil
white pepper
a chunk of rock sugar the size of... a large walnut in its shell
water

throw pork in a hot pan, cook and stir and break it up as it cooks. let it sizzle a bit and brown a bit. when it's cooked well, throw in the shallots, rock sugar, splash of wine. stir in sesame oil, soy sauce and soy sauce paste, add water to cover. season generously with white pepper. let it simmer, stirring occasionally. it should end up a little saucey, thickened by the pork fat, a bit sweet and savory. the pork fat coats grains of rice nicely.

serve over freshly steamed rice.

it also is nice as a seasoning for sauteeing vegetables or topping noodle soups or jook.

eagle
01-13-2012, 06:53 AM
butter paneer

vegetable oil for frying
24 oz paneer
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 handful roasted cashews
2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
4 tsp tomato paste, mixed in 1/2 cup of water OR
1/2 c tomato sauce.
4 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
2 tbsp butter
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
salt to taste
sugar to taste (optional)

slice paneer into large sheets and pan fry vegetable oil until sheets are browned on both sides. set aside to cool.

using a food processor, blender or immersion blender process onions, garlic and cashews until finely ground.

heat oil in pan. add onion, garlic and cashew mixture and ginger. saute until heated through. add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika and cayenne. saute for a couple more minutes. add tomato paste & water mixture (or tomato sauce) as well as the kasuri methi. add more water if it looks too thick. let cook for about 20 minutes or so at medium low heat.

meanwhile, cut the cooled paneer into cubes.

check the curry now for salt and sugar. mix in and taste to correct seasoning.

when seasoned to satisfaction, add paneer cubes, butter and whipping cream.

heat through until butter is melted and everything is heated through.

serve hot with bread (roti or naan) or over basmati rice.

you can substitute the paneer with COOKED chicken chunks. usually chicken makhani is made from leftover tandoori chicken.

Elilly
01-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Beef stroganoff
Philly cheese steak sandwiches
Famous pork chops - from allrecipes
Beef fajitas
Pot roast
Smoked sausage and fried potatoes

hellbennt
01-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Find out if your local supermarket's fish dept/counter will steam fish for you!

We have Publix that does this and also our whole foods does, too! I just went to whole foods today and asked the guy to steam some tilapia w/ some 'flavor' - his choice- nothing spicy and really 'anything goes.' Turned out a bit lemony, but great, nonetheless! I boiled some potatoes for some 'fork-mashed' potatoes, steamed some broccoli and voila! an easy, delicious meal!

turtle12
01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
okay, this dish is easy BUT the ingredients are a little harder to find. once you buy your bottle of soy sauce paste, rock sugar (in a pinch, you can just add granulated sugar) and fried shallots, you are good to go for half a year or so!

rou zhao fan

this is a seasoned ground pork dish

a pound of ground pork
1/2 to 3/4 cup fried shallots
a splash of soy sauce (1-2T)
a good glob of soy sauce paste (1-2T)
a splash of rice wine
a dribble of sesame oil
white pepper
a chunk of rock sugar the size of... a large walnut in its shell
water

throw pork in a hot pan, cook and stir and break it up as it cooks. let it sizzle a bit and brown a bit. when it's cooked well, throw in the shallots, rock sugar, splash of wine. stir in sesame oil, soy sauce and soy sauce paste, add water to cover. season generously with white pepper. let it simmer, stirring occasionally. it should end up a little saucey, thickened by the pork fat, a bit sweet and savory. the pork fat coats grains of rice nicely.

just made this tonite - it was great! :) almost reminds me of ma pao tofu, without the tofu and without the spice...ahhaha. kids gobbled it up. :) thanks for posting it!