PDA

View Full Version : PSA: For the love of all things holy, don't buy from B&N.com - FINALLY!

Jacksmommy2b
12-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm sure this could be moved, but as my 'home' board I thought I would stick it here.

I have been fighting B&N customer service for almost a month now. They are the very worst CS I have ever, ever encountered. No one has any idea what they are doing and I have had every one tell me something different and no one is right.

I had a bunch tell me an order was cancelled - it wasn't. I had a bunch tell me it shipped - it didn't. I had a bunch send me a return label (both by email and mail) and it never came. And I was told it must be shipped back by Saturday to get a refund. Then I had UPS at my door to pick up a box with no label. Today they told me I don't need the label I've been waiting on for more than a week. :banghead:

I can't believe the level of incompetance from such a big and reputable company.

infomama
12-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Don't want to hear this...just sent a big gift card to a friend to there.

Rainbows&Roses
12-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Their customer service is really, really awful.

hbridge
12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Horrendous customer service! Twice I've ordered something and the packing slip had a MUCH LOWER price on it than I paid. When I called they had NO RECORD of what the packing slip said!

Also, almost everything I order comes through damaged and/or take FOREVER.

justlearning
12-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Yes, I had a bad experience with them too last year. I purchased a camera for my mom on BF online, it said it had shipped. But then my mom never thanked me so I asked her if she got it. No--she didn't. I called (now a couple of weeks after purchase) and they said, oh, it looks like we never did ship it (even though my email said they did) and now it's out of stock. Umm...no email from them telling me that or anything else. If I hadn't asked my mom, I never would have known it didn't arrive.

At that point I couldn't get any cameras on a good deal and when I tried to get them to give me a comparable camera for a discounted price or anything from them, nada. I kept asking to talk to supervisors and finally after spending a LOT of time on the phone, I got a $10 B&N card and that was it.

sste
12-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I really, really dislike them too. I had a customer service issue that took hours on the phone and was never resolved. No one knew anything and they kept on passing me off between bricks and mortar and online.

Also, I don't get their "kids club." It has done nothing positive for me, they seem to jerryrig their prices on those specials. I have stopped buying kids stuff there because I think it is not a real benefit to parents and just a marketing ploy to lure people into thinking they are equivalent to amazon.

Can you tell I really don't like them?

Melbel
12-23-2011, 05:33 PM
I experienced terrible customer service with B&N too last year and definitely hold a grudge. It was a major factor in my decision to buy a kindle over a nook. I knew if something went wrong with a nook, dealing with B&N CS would be painful. Incidentally, DS' kindle froze after 11 months. After a 5 minute call, amazon agreed to ship a new one overnight for free.

janine
12-23-2011, 05:36 PM
I had a not so great experience too - but thought it was just me. I somehow submitted an order - but got no email confirm (they only confirm when shipped). I tried to cancel on line - didn't work. So contacted cs = they contacted the factory and cancelled it and confirmed this with me. Now this was a gift..so no way for me to know. Well next day i take a look and it says shipped..contact CS and they say sorry, already gone. If I had not followed up..who knows..and who knows what actually was sent! I was pretty furious though and got them to credit gift wrap and shipping.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes, I had a bad experience with them too last year. I purchased a camera for my mom on BF online, it said it had shipped. But then my mom never thanked me so I asked her if she got it. No--she didn't. I called (now a couple of weeks after purchase) and they said, oh, it looks like we never did ship it (even though my email said they did) and now it's out of stock. Umm...no email from them telling me that or anything else. If I hadn't asked my mom, I never would have known it didn't arrive.

At that point I couldn't get any cameras on a good deal and when I tried to get them to give me a comparable camera for a discounted price or anything from them, nada. I kept asking to talk to supervisors and finally after spending a LOT of time on the phone, I got a $10 B&N card and that was it.

wow, that's really rotten. i've had my fair share of negative experiences at various sites, but this kinda takes a cake! i mean, that's nuts...charging a customer for something, telling them it shipped, and not shipping it..that's almost like stealing, you'd think a company would be bending over backwards to correct something like that!

cuca_
12-23-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm with you. I ordered radios for my DDs -- two different ones-- and got two of the same. When I called the CS rep did not seem to care too much about their mistake. They offered to ship the other but it would arrive after X-mas. She then suggested that I give DD the wrong one and just switch it out after X-mas -- umm, she is 6 and I had mentioned this fact before her suggestion -- I don't think that would really go over very well.
Then she offered me a $5 dollar gift card for my trouble, but the worst part was that she was not apologetic at all.

ett
12-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I agree that B&N's CS is really awful. My latest issue with them is that they claimed they linked my kids club account and membership number together in the store (took forever too) but I found out weeks later that they didn't. So I didn't get credited for several larger purchases that I purchased in the meantime. Of course, it took them forever to figure out what was the problem when I was on the phone with them. I asked them if I could be compensated somehow because I was told in the stoer that it was linked correctly. They said they had no way of retroactively crediting the account and could not compensate me in any way since the store made the mistake. Told me to call the store. So I called the store and they said that they would have to check with someone and get back to me. Of course they never got back to me.

It wasn't that much money and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but CS was just so unapologetic over the situation. Do they really have no authority to just say, we're so sorry about the mistake, we'll send you a $xx amount gift card to compensate? Other companies (Amazon, Boden) does that. Even Borders gave me extra borders bucks when a gift card for a return got lost in the mail.

maiaann
12-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Good grief! I've never ordered from B&N and after reading all these posts I don't think I ever will! :shake:

doberbrat
12-23-2011, 11:35 PM
yeah, just say no!

I ordered from them and somehow managed to delete the confirmation email. They charged my cc but couldnt find any record of the order. Since I had no order #, I couldnt find it either. I called when I got my cc bill and they INSISTED they hadnt charged me. I finally gave up arguing and let my cc company handle it.

ALL DONE with them!

AnnieW625
12-23-2011, 11:51 PM
That is very good to know. One time I did an online stock check for a book at their store and that didn't work. They are usually my last resort because their prices tend to be higher than almost everyone else too.

mom2binsd
12-24-2011, 01:04 AM
I couldn't believe that they did not the the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book in stock that I ordered in early Dec...it's only available in every store, I just ordered from them as I had a gift card...now I can't figure out how they credited my account, and nobody is of any help.

citymama
12-24-2011, 02:04 AM

Yes, I could not agree more. I won't order from bn.com again. Store is fine though.

justlearning
12-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Yes, I could not agree more. I won't order from bn.com again. Store is fine though.

Yes, I received great customer service from the manager at our local B&N last week.

momtoax3
12-24-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm with you. I ordered radios for my DDs -- two different ones-- and got two of the same. When I called the CS rep did not seem to care too much about their mistake. They offered to ship the other but it would arrive after X-mas. She then suggested that I give DD the wrong one and just switch it out after X-mas -- umm, she is 6 and I had mentioned this fact before her suggestion -- I don't think that would really go over very well.
Then she offered me a $5 dollar gift card for my trouble, but the worst part was that she was not apologetic at all.

Same thing here (except no gc offer) I will never shop there again!

mypa
12-24-2011, 04:16 AM
Wow, thanks for the warning. I've never shopped at BN.com until recently and fortunately my orders were correct, but I hate to think of what I'd have to deal with if something went wrong.

Now, don't get me started on Sears.com. Ordered 4 sneakers, got charged for 4 sneakers, have only 2 in possesion. That was nearly 2 months ago. After multiple phone calls got 1 sneaker refunded but am still waiting to hear about the other one. This post has reminded me I need to follow up, yet again.

Too bad these big companies don't have their act together. I imagine a lot of $$ being wasted. Makes me appreciate places that have good CS.

MichelleRC
12-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I have not ordered online from B&N lately, but I had a wonderful in-store experience recently. I had called my tiny local store to see if they had the chemistry set DS1 wanted (& I had a 40% coupon to use on it), they did, they held it for me, and when the 20-something girl at the register saw that DS was with me, she kindly offered to wrap it for us while we walked around for a few minutes so he wouldn't see it.

So a thumbs up for my local B&N!

Oh, and sorry for the run on sentence above :wink2:

pinkmomagain
12-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Wow. I've ordered from BN.com many times and have never had a problem with my order. It's never been too complicated, though. Just books. So I never had to call CS. Hope I didn't jinx myself by writing this!

kijip
12-24-2011, 09:59 AM
When wanting something from B&N, I found that the best way to get it was to order instore. Then the sales associate will handle the B&N people for you. :tongue5: The sales associate got them to ship an order I had placed that I had heard nothing about and that whe she first contacted the warehouse they said the items were "lost". A few days later, my order arrived.

Jacksmommy2b
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
So I finally shipped the damn thing back on the 23rd. I figured it was time to call again as I hadn't heard from them since. (surprise, surprise)

I was told that they must not have received the package yet as refunds are instant. (I'm sure they are...)

I told her there is no way, the box was picked up a week and a half ago. I checked ups.com and of course it was delivered on the 27th! After putting me on hold she came back with: Oh yeah, I see it now. Well give up a few days and if you still don't get an email... Call again!

This is more than a month, no less than 25 phone calls and still - no $, no answers!

When this first happened I called the local store and asked the manager if he had any suggestions on how to procceed as I really felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. He told me the mix up was my fault as I 'keep calling and bothering customer service when their system isn't that fast and needs a few days to catch up."

I will never ever deal with them again. I am just disgusted.

katydid1971
01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
He told me the mix up was my fault as I 'keep calling and bothering customer service when their system isn't that fast and needs a few days to catch up."

WHAT?!?!?! Its your fault their CS and computers suck?!?!?!? :banghead:

niccig
01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
If they don't refund, call your cc company. You have proof they received the package.

jenmcadams
01-02-2012, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't give them much more time before I'd dispute with the CC company...let them deal with it!

I will admit that I've shopped there a few times lately, but I much prefer Amazon. I had an awful experience with them this summer when my husband was in the hospital with a stroke. Someone had given him two Books on CDs and we don't have a CD player. The gift giver wasn't someone we knew well, so I was uncomfortable asking for a receipt (it was a great idea...he listened to a ton of audible on his iphone while he was waiting for his vision to improve just didn't want books on CD and these weren't his taste). I took the cellophane wrapped books on CD back to B&N (they were still entirely intact and even had the 20% off for members sticker on them) and they wouldn't take them back. I was assuming I would get store credit and I might only get the sales price, but I couldn't believe they wouldn't give me anything for them. We talked to multiple managers, explained the situation, etc. No one would budge and they said they take no returns without receipts even if the product was never opened, was still a bestseller and was obviously from them. I vowed not to shop there and although I've violated it 1-2x lately, I've just been trying to use up some gift cards.

arivecchi
01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow. That is crazy. With that kind of CS (or lack thereof), they will be following borders soon.

Rainbows&Roses
01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Assuming you paid with a CC, I would dispute it right now. It is a hassle for companies to deal with disputes and they deserve the hassle.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Wow. That is crazy. With that kind of CS (or lack thereof), they will be following borders soon.

:yeahthat:

that is really horrible. so sorry you have to deal with this!

edurnemk
01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
He told me the mix up was my fault as I 'keep calling and bothering customer service when their system isn't that fast and needs a few days to catch up."

WHAAATTTT???!!!! Oh, you're BOTHERING CS? Asking them to do their job is bothersome? I hope you told him off!

Jacksmommy2b
01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Reading your responses just ticked me off all over again!

And unfortunately I did not tear into the manager, I was so gobsmacked I wasn't thinking straight.

I called again this morning and after the usual sit on hold/tell the whole damn thing again I asked for a supervisior. I told her this was insane, there is no reason I should have to go to these lengths and I wanted to know when my refund would be processed.

She put me on hold forever and came back with...wait for it...

"Your refund was processed on Dec 13th and should be reflected in one of your next 3 billing statements.'

So I told her no way, the item was returned on the 23rd, there is no way they issued a credit for an item I hadn't been able to return yet. (I asked for a shipping label for the first time on the 12th when it was delivered!) I also told her I paid by PayPal and it would notify me when it hit my account rather than a 'billing statement'.

She got really rude and claimed that PayPal was withholding the funds and that it had nothing more to do with them. She also said they were wasting time researching it thanks to my call from yesterday. At this point I was pretty fuming and reminded her that the girl from yesterday couldn't even find the return and claimed I would have to wait another week for the refund! She said that girl was wrong, they refunded the money, it's paypal's problem now.

So then I called pay pal. Who obviously said no way - there was no refund from them at all. I submitted the request for my money back from PP and then got an email from them stating that B&N sent in the tracking numbers and are fighting it.

I called PP back again and went through the whole thing again. This guy said the first guy submitted the wrong paperwork and took my tracking #s again. He put me on hold forever and came back with:

All set! The money is back in my account and the case is closed!

I swear I have half a mind to call B&N again just to do some gloating!

I cannot believe the time an effort it has taken to sort this out. I can't get over how awful this company is! Thanks for letting me vent!

Nu_mama
01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't think I have ever decided that I wouldn't shop someplace based on other people's experiences, but this is enough to convince me to avoid BN.com at all costs. Glad you got this resolved but what absolutely awful CS they gave. Has anyone else been seeing poor CS as a trend over the last few months? I have experienced it more than I thought I would in this economy where retailers are fighting for our dollars more than ever. It really makes you think twice about where you want to shop.

niccig
01-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I get BN.com newsletters in my email. I just unsubscribed as after reading your ordeal, I won't buy from them.

amldaley
01-03-2012, 03:45 PM
SOOOOOOOOO glad you posted this!

I was just getting ready to order calendars from them but think I will drive myself down to the store instead as I have neither the time nor patience for that kind of nonesense!

KpbS
01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Truly unbelievable. I am glad you got your money finally!

resipsaloquitur
01-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow- that's truly awful. I'm sorry for all your angst.

Add me to the list of people who have had horrid experience with BN.com. I will never shop there and have made it a personal mission to tell everyone how they treated me. I ordered a camera last year on a 50% off sale. The same camera was on sale a few places locally for 25-40% off because it was a close out. I got a confirmation. The money was charged to my card. I got a ship date. A few days later I got a cancellation notice- not because they were sold out but because BN had decided not to sell them at that price. The email notice had multiple typos and wasn't even apologetic- just "that's the way it is." By the time I got the notice of course the camera was sold out else where so I lost out on my oppertunity to get it else where due to BN.com. I was shocked that a big company would behave this way but when I told others about it I heard lots of other similar, bad customer service stories. I'm counting the months until BN goes out of business, just like Borders. The stores may be great (and I do like my local store) but .com is a necessary part of that business now and that part of their business is going to kill them.