PDA

View Full Version : My son hates his new HBB

smilequeen
12-25-2011, 10:18 PM
So I need to figure out what to do.

My mom had a car accident. She wasn't injured but her car is totaled. She had seats for DS1 and DS2 in it. I needed to put DS3 in a convertible in DH's car b/c he's 22 lbs now. So I did this...

Gave my mom DS1 travel booster (Graco Turbobooster/HBB) and DS1 Frontier with the harness replaced for DS2 to ride in. For DH's car I gave DS3 the Britax Boulevard that DS2 had as it has a few years left. Then I orded a new Turbobooster for travel for DS1, a Recaro ProBooster for DS1, and a Recaro ProSport for DS2.

So DS1 rides in the 3rd row of DH's MDX. The Frontier was in booster mode and I used the top tether, there is no latch in the 3rd row. With the Recaro he hates it b/c it moves when DH turns, it tips from side to side. Am I doing something wrong? We haven't had that problem with our turboboosters but they've never been in a 3rd row. And he has a Clek Oobr in my car, latched in.

I'm trying to decide if I can fix that or if I need to juggle the Frontier back to DH's car for DS1 and get something else for DS2 to use with Grandma. DS2 is 4.5 but only 36 lbs, although he's 42.5". So he really needs a combination seat or I need to get something that would be easy to switch from FF to RF so that he could share it with DS3 (right now my plan is to give her our travel Scenera if she needs to take DS3 as it's pretty easy to replace the booster with that). She has a Ford Edge.

Or maybe there is a narrow backless booster that DS1 could use in DH's car that could fit btw the RF Boulevard and the ProSport? I don't want him in a backless in the 3rd row, but maybe in the middle? He is 7, about 50" and 62 lbs.

I hope that wall of text made sense...

KrisM
12-25-2011, 10:35 PM
We found the Probooster tippy in my Odyssey, too. i moved it to the Malibu, where it's 3 across and it can't tip :). DS is fine and untipping in the Parkway. I think it's the narrow base that makes it tippy like that.

I have no suggestions, just wanted to talk about the tippiness.

mom2binsd
12-26-2011, 10:55 AM
I didn't know you tethered a booster, does the Frontier manual say to do that?

I'm thinking he may be able to do the backless booster, at his size he will be safe and esp if it's in the middle, just not sure sure if they will all puzzle together (and the backless won't tip).

KrisM
12-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I didn't know you tethered a booster, does the Frontier manual say to do that?

I'm thinking he may be able to do the backless booster, at his size he will be safe and esp if it's in the middle, just not sure sure if they will all puzzle together (and the backless won't tip).

Some boosters can use LATCH. The Frontier is one of them. Ours is tethered, but not lower anchored, too. Well, it will be soon when it's a booster :).

mom2binsd
12-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Kris, I'm confused, I think OP said she top tethered the Frontier in booster mode...I knew you could use Latch, but I wasn't aware that you could TOP Tether???

smilequeen
12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I top tethered in booster mode. I remember asking on this board and I think it was probably Jools who said Britax OK'd that.

I think I'm first going to see if I can puzzle 3 in a row and work from there.

essnce629
12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
DS1 hated the Recaro booster I got him too! He said it was too narrow, too shallow, not comfortable, etc. So I returned it and got him the Sunshine Kids Monterey instead. He loved that one.