PDA

View Full Version : Make ahead chicken parm

babybunny
12-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I have been asked to bring chicken parm in a half tray to a gathering. I realized after I committed to this that I would not be able to make it that afternoon since I am working. It is a 45 minute drive from my house anyway...

Would you cook the chicken the night before and then assemble every thing (add sauce and cheese ) that afternoon? Would the tray heat thoroughly with Sternos?

I make my own sauce. I am mostly worried that it won't heat up. It will probably be on Sternos for an hour. Any thoughts?

KLD313
12-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Hmm idk but I'm leaning toward saying no I dont think it will heat through. Is it possible to assemble the whole the night before and then cook it right before you go so you can transport it warm?

mikala
12-25-2011, 11:51 PM
IME Sternos mostly maintain food at temperature and aren't especially good at bringing things up to the right temperature.

Is there any way you could use a slow cooker or something else to bring at least the sauce up to temp if you can't bake it right before the drive? You might also try using smaller pieces of chicken to avoid cold spots in the middle when you reheat them.

babybunny
12-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I usually use chicken tender size pieces. Maybe I can use the oven at the host house and transfer to the Sternos n

etaylor75
12-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Crock pot?

http://recipeshoebox.blogspot.com/2011/03/chicken-parmesan-in-slow-cooker.html

Erin

elephantmeg
12-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I would crock pot it