PDA

View Full Version : QUALITY brands? Forget about cost for now...

twowhat?
12-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm kind of fed up with buying clothes - I have been so unimpressed with the quality of the last several things I've bought. For example:

BR wool sweater that fit great in the store but after one wear the sleeves are now too short! WTH? I think the wool basically felted as I wore it and it just shortened the length AND sleeves, which is so annoying since I need long. I've had this problem with several brands of sweaters. I feel like I need to be like the woman in Seinfeld that walks without swinging her arms to keep this from happening. And I think constantly moving with two 3yos just speeds that process along. Argh. I probably need to just change out of "nice" clothes when I get home from work.

LOFT tees - holes after just a few months. Wool sweaters are so itchy and pill like heck.

Shade: sweater pilled and shed like crazy. The long-sleeve tees (which I was really hopeful on) were nice and long, with nice long sleeves but the spandex content was so high that even with the long length the torso just kept creeping up my belly all day - SO annoying.

J Crew: love the style but the most recent tees/cardis I've gotten have gotten holes in them after several washes. And I'm washing them CAREFULLY in a mesh bag on gentle, and laying flat to dry.

Gap: quality stinks and I stopped buying their stuff.

LE Canvas: quality of fabric is actually decent, but inconsistent (sizing can be inconsistent for example, and colors don't look "quality" - they tend to look cheap-y and fluorescent-y) but my biggest beef: LENGTH. Their stuff is so annoyingly short. Great if you're petite. Not great if you're average/tall. And also their smaller sizes run shorter (another huge pet peeve of mine).

I'm thinking I really need to shell out for REALLY high quality brands - good classic clothes that fit well, defy trends, and LAST for years. Mainly clothes that would work for work casual/business casual with a few "pulled together mommy casual" pieces. And are long enough to deal with my height (5'6'') without being short for size (since I wear a 0/2). Is Splendid really that great in quality? What other brands should I be targeting? I'm reluctant to try HA and Boden because they look so boxy and it's already hard to find things that fit me without swallowing me. I feel so ready to give up on the mainstream brands!

arivecchi
12-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm 5'6" and a size 2-4. Like you, I just find that more inexpensive brands are sometimes not worth it in the LR. Totally agree about Gap and Loft. Poor quality so you end up wasting money.

Stuff that has lasted for years and still looks great:

Theory (awesome pants and jackets)
Vince (great sweaters)
Max Mara (everything is fabulous - sweaters, skirts, jackets, coats)
Max Studio (love their capes and jackets)
Ralph Lauren (sweaters, button-down shirts)
7 for mankind jeans
BCBG (dresses, skirts) - have not bought any BCBG in some time though
Tory Burch (dresses, tunics)

I just started buying Splendid but love the fit and quality so far. I am also buying some Anthropologie pieces. Not as nice as the brands mentioned above, but better quality than the big retailer brands (Loft, Gap, etc.) I also have some Boden from this past summer, which I like a lot, but definitely not as luxe as the other brands.

Your best bet is probably shopping the sales of the contemporary departments in stores like Bloomies, Macy's, Saks, Neiman, and checking lastcall.com and Amazon.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/search/EndecaSearch.jsp?sre=wab2&Ns=P_306418048_sort&N=1553+306418048

http://www.lastcall.com/index.jhtml?ecid=LCSGTMneiman_marcus_clearance

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=clo_h_ln_shop_contshop?ie=UTF8&node=3091450011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_r=988D09D0633E4CA6A375&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1339046002&pf_rd_i=1036592

sntm
12-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Get on Gilt.com, ruelala.com, etc. Good discounts. Fwiw, the nicer quality sweaters still get holes. Diane Von furstenberg dresses are totally worth it. Ditto Tory burch, Kate spade (look like new!).

TwinFoxes
12-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I think Nordstrom has great quality, and great CS, so if something goes wrong you're covered. If you want more sophisticated pieces, skip Brass Plum, which is their junior line. I think a lot of LE Canvas clothes are meant to be short, it's not a lack of quality, it's the look.

I like Bloomies, but for some reason there's something about that store that's not as pleasant to me as Nordstrom.

I do like Boden and Garnet Hill too, but I stalk their sales. ;)

mypa
12-27-2011, 04:17 AM
I hear your frustration. Fabric is fabric. I think a lot of the problem is the trend of using thinner and thinner fabric than in years past regardless of brand. I've had (cheap) clothes from 15+ years ago that is just so much more durable and thicker in material so they wash and wear better. All the new shirts these days are super thin (which I actually like as they are comfy) but they develop holes and wear much quicker (so I make sure to buy them cheap).

Take GAP for example. I bought a bunch of GAP clothes when I started college in the 90's. They are still in good shape and the cotton is thick. More recent GAP purchases have already developed holes and the materials are tissue thin, i don't even go into the store anymore.

I find outerwear to last well regardless of brand as the material is thicker.

I have no idea about wool/sweaters as I don't wear those except cotton sweaters but the arms shortening as you wear them would be very annoying.

I agree w/ you about the length of many items. I am short and usually wear a M to L (sometimes XL) and many things fit me length wise for tops/leggings and I have commented on more than one occassion to DH how the heck skinny tall women can fit these clothes as they would be too short.

From my recent Tea Collection for women purchase i found that it runs long (tunics/dresses and tops) and large (was able to size down in many items) but their material is thin (surprised at how thin it was for the price) and the style is casual.

Good luck in finding better brands. I think the quality of clothes in general have gone downhill as manufacturers try to stay competitive in the marketplace.

kozachka
12-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Splendid t-shirts wear really well for me despite being thin. I have one henley bought from a department store clearance that is at least 5 years old, if not more, and that I wore a fair bit, that still looks good. Lately I've been buying it on Amazon when they have special codes. I also like Michael Stars t-shirts in shine fabric. Got a bunch from RueLaLa sale. They are fitted, wear great and are not as thin as Splendid, so show less underwear/lumps.

I have a few DvF dresses/tops and wraps fit me consistently good, but I did have to return a few other things bought online, so don't buy from a final sale. I can't wear wrap dresses to my office, which has more business than casual dress code, but they are great for going out. I do like Brooks Brothers fitted shirts and tailored Italian wool separates for the office, which I mostly buy from an outlet. MaxMara is also very good but really expensive, I only have 2-3 pieces bought on clearance from a department store.

twowhat?
12-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Good luck in finding better brands. I think the quality of clothes in general have gone downhill as manufacturers try to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Splendid t-shirts wear really well for me despite being thin. I have one henley bought from a department store clearance that is at least 5 years old, if not more, and that I wore a fair bit, that still looks good. Lately I've been buying it on Amazon when they have special codes.

I think this is a lot of it - quality is not what it used to be. I have several J Crew tissue tees from 2005-2006 and they have been worn and washed to death and have some fading but NO holes! And this is a really really thin fabric. J Crew's quality has definitely gone downhill which is disappointing. I like that a lot of their items are made in italy or somewhere other than china but overall their quality has definitely suffered.

I will definitely try Splendid and some of the other listed (arrivechi thanks for the links!!). I guess the biggest challenge will be getting them at good prices:) I still can't seem to let go of the fact that I used to be able to spend $10 or $20 for a good top or pants from the J Crew clearance racks and that's just not going to happen today.

Thanks for all the ideas!!

mypa
12-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Your reply about JCrew reminded me of some thin cotton items I had in high school in the 80's (got super cheap on clearance) and I wore those pieces to death, they lasted a good 15years! Ahhh, I think those days are over!

TxCat
12-30-2011, 01:02 AM
I totally agree with your comments about quality. I keep buying J. Crew stuff because it's cute especially at the price point, but I have stitching that comes undone on the silk sleeveless tops/camis, etc.

Ralph Lauren Blue, Black, and Purple Labels (increase in price in that order) are all excellent quality. I try to buy when they are on sale. I've never had a problem with their pieces.

Agree with nearly all of Arivecchi's recommendations: Max Mara, Vince, Theory, DvF. I also have some McQ and some Alexander Wang pieces that I'm very happy with. Armani is also wonderful if you find a good sale.

goldenpig
12-30-2011, 06:00 AM
I have a lot of old clothes (mostly skirts and a few tops) from Ann Taylor that are still going strong after 10-15 years so I think their quality is pretty good (better than LOFT). I haven't shopped there recently though so I can't say how they are now. Of my new clothes, the brands that seem to be really high quality are Lafayette 148 (skirts, leather jacket), Kate Spade (dress, trench coat), Tahari (leather jacket), Splendid (top), EmersonMade and Anne Fontaine ($$$ button-down shirts) and Tory Burch (skirt and dress). Most of the rest of my new stuff are various brands from Nordstrom or Anthro, because they have generous return policies and good customer service. You can even sign up for a free personal shopper at those two places. I do also shop at Gap, H&M and Old Navy, but I'm not expecting those clothes to last as long.

abh5e8
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
where can you find anne fontaine in the US? i have read several places that her button down shirts are very nice...and i need to find one :) i'm looking for short sleeve in white. any ideas?

eh613c
12-30-2011, 08:01 PM
I like the brands that other PPs have mentioned. I wanted to add Velvet. I have several shirts from them that I bought many years ago and they haven't stretched or faded. Clothing that I wear around the house, I just throw in regular wash but clothes that I wear out, I put in delicate cycle and dry low.

kozachka
12-31-2011, 12:47 AM
where can you find anne fontaine in the US? i have read several places that her button down shirts are very nice...and i need to find one :) i'm looking for short sleeve in white. any ideas?

At Ann Fontaine store, but they are really expensive, even on sale. Don't ask me how I know :(.

Globetrotter
12-31-2011, 03:15 AM
At Ann Fontaine store, but they are really expensive, even on sale. Don't ask me how I know .

I walked by the store at Santana Row (opposite Valley fair mall) and didn't go in, but your post piqued my curiosity. Did you know AF has outlets in Las Vegas and Woodbury, NY?

mackmama
01-02-2012, 11:57 PM
I haven't read the other responses, but my favorite designers are:
Ralph Lauren (not Polo)
Vince
AG and Paige jeans
Splendid
Michael Stars
Rachel Roy
Donna Karan
Tahari (blouses)
Marc Jacobs (pants)
Nicole Miller (dresses)
Tory Burch (dresses)

kozachka
01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I walked by the store at Santana Row (opposite Valley fair mall) and didn't go in, but your post piqued my curiosity. Did you know AF has outlets in Las Vegas and Woodbury, NY?

That's the one. I have not been to the new location yet. A friend of mine used to shop there a lot, so told me about the sale. I came to checkout $95 tops/shirts and ended up with an almost $200 shirt after tax, and that's on sale. Yikes... but at least it looks great on me, and is a classic. A lot of their shirts are too frilly for my style, but they can help you find what you like and make it really difficult to leave empty handed. They also make nice accessories (jewelry, belts, scarves, etc) that they use to style you with, but they are also expensive and don't go on sale. Just a warning ;). I have since decided that I am happy enough with Banana Republic shirts for daily work wear, and should not be setting foot in that dangerous store.

Do you know if outlet prices are any good and if they ship?

Globetrotter
01-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Do you know if outlet prices are any good and if they ship?

I have no idea, but if you're ever in the area it's probably worth a look!

Nechums
01-03-2012, 08:48 AM
I think brooks brothers has extremely well made products. I still wear sweaters from 8 years ago. But you have to like the bb look...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

twowhat?
01-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Get on Gilt.com, ruelala.com, etc. Good discounts. Fwiw, the nicer quality sweaters still get holes. Diane Von furstenberg dresses are totally worth it. Ditto Tory burch, Kate spade (look like new!).

So I see that these sites require (free) membership sign-up...is that all you have to do in order to shop them? Trying to decide if I want to add more spam to my email:)