PDA

View Full Version : Shipping gurus: please help

spunkybaby
12-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I bought some coats online and need to send them back for an exchange (my mom and sister need different sizes/colors). What is the best option for shipping w/tracking from CA to IL?

The customer service rep recommended that I put the coats back in the plastic shipping envelope they came in (she said it is cheaper than shipping a box and thought that UPS should be no more than $9). The envelope measures about 13" x 16" x 3" (hard to measure since it's a little puffy) and weighs about 4 lbs. I think I could probably squish the coats into a medium Priority Mail flat rate box at the post office.

For "declared value," do you enter the price you paid or the replacement cost? I had a 30% off coupon code, so the price I paid for both jackets is $189, but if the package gets lost, I would need to pay $270 to replace the jackets.

Here are my choices:
(1) Neighborhood shipping store with several options (USPS, UPS, FedEx)--super convenient but probably higher rates. Can also drop off packages there for pickup.

(2) Post office - Priority Mail Med. flat rate box is $10.95 but would need to add tracking ability. Insurance for $200 is $2.85. Insurance for $270 is $4.75. What services should I add for tracking ability? Delivery confirmation? Certified mail?

(3) FedEx - I think the cost would be $14.07 for a declared value of either $200 or $270. Is there a benefit to creating an online account? Should I prepay online and drop it off at the local shipping store or go to the in-town FedEx World Service Center?

(4) UPS - I think the cost would be $14.93 for a declared value of $200 and $15.83 for a declared value of $270. Should I prepay online and drop off at the local shipping store? Are the prices the same/cheaper at the UPS Store and the UPS Customer Care Center? (UPS store is local; I would have to drive 20 minutes to the UPS Customer Care Center.)

Thanks for any help you can provide. I almost never ship things and feel pretty confused. I am a little hesitant to pay online since I'm not sure if I'm measuring this puffy envelope accurately, so I would feel better about going somewhere and having the rep help me measure/assess my package.

AngelaS
12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
FedEx. Or use the flat rate priority mail and put delivery confirmation on it. I'd skip the insurance.

TwoBees
12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I can't help with any of your specific questions, but did you ask if the company will waive the return shipping fee (and provide a prepaid label) since you are doing an exchange or return? If not, will they provide a shipping label for a flat rate? That way you don't have to worry about declared value, and the onus of tracking is on them.

spunkybaby
12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I can't help with any of your specific questions, but did you ask if the company will waive the return shipping fee (and provide a prepaid label) since you are doing an exchange or return? If not, will they provide a shipping label for a flat rate? That way you don't have to worry about declared value, and the onus of tracking is on them.

Unfortunately, neither option is available. The company specifically says that customers are responsible for return shipping (even for exchanges) and recommends using a shipping provider with tracking capabilities.

spunkybaby
12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
FedEx. Or use the flat rate priority mail and put delivery confirmation on it. I'd skip the insurance.

Thanks, Angela. Do you think I should just take the package to the FedEx Center or prepay online?

Binkandabee
12-27-2011, 04:34 PM
I would send it in an insured priority flat rate box. If you print your postage online, it includes delivery confirmation for free. Keep in mind that it will show you when your package is delivered, but will not show you where it goes in between.

As far as insurance goes, you will only get back what you pay, so don't insure it for anymore than that.

spunkybaby
12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I would send it in an insured priority flat rate box. If you print your postage online, it includes delivery confirmation for free. Keep in mind that it will show you when your package is delivered, but will not show you where it goes in between.

As far as insurance goes, you will only get back what you pay, so don't insure it for anymore than that.

Thank you! That makes sense, and if I print out the postage online, I can save 50 cents on the flat rate box, which brings the total with insurance (for the price I paid) to $13.35.