PDA

View Full Version : Calling DC-area moms!

babybell
12-27-2011, 04:50 PM
We might be moving to the DC area in the Spring and I am desperate for suggestions for living and preschools. I know zilch about the area. Can anyone PM me and help a mama out? I don't really want to give tons of details publicly, IYKWIM.

amandabea
12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
We moved to NoVA just over a year ago from So Cal and I researched preschools extensively. I was fairly obsessive about it -- I made a spreadsheet with various criteria so I could assess the schools I was interested in. I'll look to see if I still have it and send you a PM. Of everything, my DD's preschool is the thing I would miss most if we ever moved away -- it is a phenomenal place.

What area are you focusing on -- MD, NoVA, or DC itself? We are in a close in suburb in NoVA.

jellibeans
12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I would love a spreadsheet about the schools if you care to share with me also! We will be moving there this summer, maybe the Vienna area, but not 100% sure about that.

legaleagle
12-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Number 1 suggestion for anywhere in the metro area: live as close as possible to your job(s) because traffic around here is horrible and only getting worse. Single biggest thing you can do to improve your quality of life!

Cam&Clay
12-28-2011, 02:01 AM
For the area you are thinking about, talk to egolber (Beth). I live in NoVa also but at the western end of Fairfax County. I work in Springfield and Chantilly. My husband works in Reston (well, Afghanistan right now, but usually Reston). I'd be happy to help you if you are considering this end of the county. I also work for Fairfax County Public Schools, so that makes me a bit biased on how wonderful they are. Really! They are!

babybell
12-28-2011, 08:21 AM
We moved to NoVA just over a year ago from So Cal and I researched preschools extensively. I was fairly obsessive about it -- I made a spreadsheet with various criteria so I could assess the schools I was interested in. I'll look to see if I still have it and send you a PM. Of everything, my DD's preschool is the thing I would miss most if we ever moved away -- it is a phenomenal place.

What area are you focusing on -- MD, NoVA, or DC itself? We are in a close in suburb in NoVA.

A spreadsheet! That is so me. I love it. I would love to get some of your insights on preschools; that is my #1 concern with moving.

We're not sure what area to focus on yet... we need to get to/from Georgetown University.

babybell
12-28-2011, 08:22 AM
For the area you are thinking about, talk to egolber (Beth). I live in NoVa also but at the western end of Fairfax County. I work in Springfield and Chantilly. My husband works in Reston (well, Afghanistan right now, but usually Reston). I'd be happy to help you if you are considering this end of the county. I also work for Fairfax County Public Schools, so that makes me a bit biased on how wonderful they are. Really! They are!

I actually have heard of the quality of Fairfax County Public Schools; I think on a top 100 list or something?

dec756
12-28-2011, 11:07 AM
fairfax county public school systems mom here! you cannot go wrong.

amandabea
12-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I would love a spreadsheet about the schools if you care to share with me also! We will be moving there this summer, maybe the Vienna area, but not 100% sure about that.

A spreadsheet! That is so me. I love it. I would love to get some of your insights on preschools; that is my #1 concern with moving.

We're not sure what area to focus on yet... we need to get to/from Georgetown University.

I'm so sorry. I just checked my backup drive and I didn't keep my spreadsheet. I will PM you some info -- including the preschools I looked at -- as soon as I can get on my computer in the basement. and I echo the sentiments of the PP about the traffic/commute. We moved from the Los Angeles area and it is far worse here!!

mommylamb
12-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I totally agree with the concerns about traffic. It's a royal PITA. We live in Fairfax County too, and I'm very happy with DS's preschool. Happy to talk to you if you want more details. We're public transport accessible (a short bus ride to the metro), but I drive in every day.