PDA

View Full Version : Leather sofa?

3isEnough
12-27-2011, 05:10 PM
We're looking to buy a new sofa for our den and I keep alternating between a slipcovered sofa and a leather sofa. This is a room that I want to be extremely kid friendly, with food and possibly shoes allowed on the sofa. With a slipcovered sofa I know I can remove the slipcover and wash/dryclean it as necessary, but I'm concerned the "as necessary" will = every week.

Does anyone have a leather sofa and if so, has it held up well to spills, food, shoes, etc.? I'm considering a Restoration Hardware leather sofa which is on clearance right now.

AnnieW625
12-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I wish I had bought a leather sofa instead of a microfiber one. My sofa is very dirty and needs a lot of spot treatments, and it still looks dirty. If I had a slip covered one I am sure I wouldn't be diligent about cleaning it either even though it can be washed in the washing machine.

I have heard really good things about Restoration Hardware furniture.

KathyN115
12-27-2011, 05:17 PM
We have a leather sofa, and it has been awesome. I would not hesitate to get another one ever with kids. It has been eaten on, spilled on, peed on, vomited on, and it all wipes off no problem. DD is 5.5 and it still looks new. Definitely go with the leather!!!!! :thumbsup:

ourbabygirl
12-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Yep, wish we had a leather sofa for the kids...
We have one microfiber (gets lots of spots, and when we spray upholstery cleaner on, it leaves a circle mark around the edges after it dries), and
a fabric one which has also gotten really icky.

We have a leather and wooden bench from RH and really like it- I love their furniture and DH has been pining for one of their leather sofas or 'smoking chairs' for years! ;)

sunshine873
12-27-2011, 05:35 PM
The one downside to leather is that it's kind of cold when you first sit on it. But in a household with a family that likes to eat on our couch from time to time, with a 2 year old & 2 large dogs that shed - I just can't imagine living with anything other than leather. Spills clean up easily, dog fur just brushes right off, shoes are not a problem, really...you can't go wrong with leather.

Globetrotter
12-27-2011, 05:53 PM
We had slipcovered ones for years and I HATED them as we had to keep adjusting them. They were pottery barn loosefit slipcovers (should have bought the stretch fitted type, but not sure if they existed back then). I now have leather sofas and love them! Spills wipe up easily. there is a small pen mark that I haven't even tried to remove, and it is more permanent than a washable slipcover and an investment, but I prefer it any day.

vludmilla
12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
We have a leather sectional from Costco and I like it. It has held up well and I like that it is returnable if it doesn't wear well.

AngelaS
12-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Love my leather sofas! My original one is about 13 years old and looks great. The one I'm sitting on now, I bought gently used from a garage sale 3 years ago and it too looks fabulous. We eat in both from time to time and do a lot of entertaining, have three kids and a big drooly dog. I just wipe all the yuck right off....

drako
12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Another vote for leather!! It is great with kids and dogs - actually great in general. We had it before kids. It wipes down easily and doesn't collect dust like fabric sofas do. I would never buy fabric furniture ever! We actually don't have carpet for the dust reason too! It warms up to your body temperature pretty quickly so I wouldn't have that persuade you against it. The cleanliness of it definately outways it!

crl
12-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Leather is great, IMO. Our leather crate and barrel chair has held up really well. If I were buying a leather sofa, I would definitely be looking there.

Catherine

3isEnough
12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Wow, I think I've been totally swayed by the leather love :thumbsup:

My other hesitation is that leather is really not in keeping with the style of my home and decor (light, airy, coastal), and really I never see leather sofas in Coastal Living (my decorating bible :p), but I think I'll go with the leather sofa due to the usability factor and then make the room more coastal with the rug, pillows, etc.

Thanks for all the input!

I'm trying to remember the name of that online gift card exchange that people here have spoken about, I want to see if there are any RH GCs out there that can reduce my purchase price a bit more. I'll search on here but does anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks!!

Calmegja2
12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Leather is great- but we have a microfiber couch that we love- and wears like iron- with four kids and a diog. They key with microfiber- and not leaving the rings that a previous poster mentioned is purchasing one that has fabric identified for cleaning as W S. That stands up the best, and can be cared for the easiest.

Also? If you get fabric, and it is W S- make sure not to use a stain treatment on it- like the furniture store treatments or Scotch Guard type chemicals. They break down the natural stain resistance and make it worse.

I have both materials in my home. I love the leather- but leather seating did not suit the style in my main room- so fabric- carefully chosen- won the day. We are very, very happy with it.

brittone2
12-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I had the same debate when we moved, and ended up with a hancock and moore leather sofa from CL (lightly used from someone's beach house/2nd home) I like the leather way more than I thought I would. I like the slipcover look but have a black dog who sneaks on the couch from time to time and 3 kids. It is too high maintenance for me in this phase of life.

I opted to go 2nd hand as a way to get a better quality leather sofa without the super hefty pricetag.

Globetrotter
12-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Kathy Ireland has a company called Omnia, and they make a huge variety of styles (all leather). Google her website and you will probably find something that works for you! Dealers are listed online, too - I got ours from Scandinavian Designs.