PDA

View Full Version : Quick! DS1 wants to "jailbreak" his iPod. Tell me why he should/shouldn't do this!

Cam&Clay
12-27-2011, 09:03 PM
He just got a new one for Christmas. I think it voids the warranty. My question is what is the purpose of doing this? He keeps talking about free music?? I told him no music is free!

Help me understand this and point him in the right direction!

Thanks!

ahisma
12-27-2011, 09:13 PM
There are some legimate justifications for wanting to jailbreak an iPod, but free music isn't one of them:) Some people want to customize it further, add apps, etc. Personally, I prefer the Apple designed interface and don't want to mess with it. We didn't let DD jailbreak hers. She lived.

Re: free music - he's talking about pirated music. Popular and common, but definitely a copyright infringement.

nmosur
12-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Biggest reason is that it will void the warranty.

wellyes
12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
There are reasons to jailbreak, but to get 'free music' .... eek. It's common. Very common. But unambiguously illegal.

Cam&Clay
12-27-2011, 10:29 PM
There are reasons to jailbreak, but to get 'free music' .... eek. It's common. Very common. But unambiguously illegal.

He just said he was wrong about the "free music" and knows that any music that is free is illegal. He wants to put other apps on it. Sigh...why can't they just be happy with what we give?

I am concerned about the warranty, too. He is usually very responsible. I guess I'll let him do it with the understanding that if he breaks it, it's not going to be replaced by me!