PDA

View Full Version : Lexus or Infinity? - UPDATE in Post 47

Fairy
12-28-2011, 12:26 AM
We're looking at finally replacing our ... wait for it ... wait for it ... 1994 Chevy Camaro. It's near death. It's been a helluva workhorse all these years, and it has not a shocking amount of miles on it. But it's time now. We've been preparing for the last two years t replace it. We've test driven an Infinity G35 and G37, and we like them both. Will test drive a Lexus ES350 this week. Anyone have any input on either of these? What do you love and especially what do you not love? For instance, if we had it all to do over, we might not have bought our HOnda Pilot (in favor of the Toyota Highlander) cuz a) the steering action is so tight I can barely deal with it, and b) the blind spots are so heinous that I'm terrified I'm going to back over something even with the backup camera (but it's hard to say no to a $9k savings, so, ya know). These are the two cares we're between -- 2008 or 2009 used. it's gonna be one or the other. Any input is appreciated.

Giantbear
12-28-2011, 12:34 AM
two completely different cars. The lexus es350 will give you a smooth ride, a little more cabin space, but no real pep, road feel or "driver" handling. The g37, do not get the g35, it is the older model, will give you more road feel, more pick up ( the 37 has a great engine comparable to the stats of the 335 bmw), but it will be a little bumpier and the cabin will be a little smaller. The es 350 will feel more like luxury while the infiniti will give you a better driving experience. Coming from a camaro, i think the g37 will be more to your driving tastes. I would test drive both, make sure to do so aggressively, take some curves and test the pickup and braking. You will see the differences in the cars pretty quickly.

BillK
12-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Lexus is the top Japanese luxury brand IMHO. My dad has a LS460 and it's fantastic.

Fairy
12-28-2011, 12:48 AM
two completely different cars. The lexus es350 will give you a smooth ride, a little more cabin space, but no real pep, road feel or "driver" handling. The g37, do not get the g35, it is the older model, will give you more road feel, more pick up ( the 37 has a great engine comparable to the stats of the 335 bmw), but it will be a little bumpier and the cabin will be a little smaller. The es 350 will feel more like luxury while the infiniti will give you a better driving experience. Coming from a camaro, i think the g37 will be more to your driving tastes. I would test drive both, make sure to do so aggressively, take some curves and test the pickup and braking. You will see the differences in the cars pretty quickly.

DH agrees with the G37, I think we're going to go there. There's a 2009 at the dealer with 22k miles, which seems good to us. There is no real diff in the packages, as they were both the premium package, but the 35's mileage was alot more, plus it was a 2008. We like this dealer, too. They were completely non-hard sell, and unlike the Audi people, they didn't try to bait us with snobbery or try to appeal to us with arrogance. DH likes the Lexus dealer, too, but we haven't test driven yet, that's probably thursday. Good advice about aggressively test driving, I,. myself, was just driving around the block. On the Infinity, i do wish the center console was more robust (like the high end or crossover, both of which are out), and I want lumbar in the passenger seat, but that's not offered in any event. But we really do like the g37. Not giving up on Lexus just yet, tho.

AnnieW625
12-28-2011, 01:02 AM
I wanted an ES330 prior to having kids until I was a passenger in one and it was the most boring car I had ever driven in. While it was nice and smooth it was just too refined and boring. I don't think you can easily compare a Lexus ES350 with a G37. Now if a true sports sedan is what you are looking for a proper comparison would be a Lexus IS350 or even the manual RWD IS250. Definitely give the IS line a look. Now if your DH wants something a bit larger than the G37 and closer to the size of the ES 350 then have him check out the Hyandai Genesis, it's RWD V-8 is suppose to be excellent (DH just wishes it had a manual tranny).

Fairy
12-28-2011, 01:19 AM
I wanted an ES330 prior to having kids until I was a passenger in one and it was the most boring car I had ever driven in. While it was nice and smooth it was just too refined and boring. I don't think you can easily compare a Lexus ES350 with a G37. Now if a true sports sedan is what you are looking for a proper comparison would be a Lexus IS350 or even the manual RWD IS250. Definitely give the IS line a look. Now if your DH wants something a bit larger than the G37 and closer to the size of the ES 350 then have him check out the Hyandai Genesis, it's RWD V-8 is suppose to be excellent (DH just wishes it had a manual tranny).

Well, we're looking specifically at luxury cars only, and so it's between either the Lexus or the Infinity. We've looked into and crossed off the list the Audi, Beemer, Mercedes, and Acura. Caddy is still sort of out there, but honestly, I'm not the caddy type. I'm barely the luxury car type, frankly, and I never thought I'd agree to go down that road, but I have and am now on board. So, these are the two, and that's that. We don't want sporty, we want mid-size sedan. No boats here, but I do like the full size Infinity, not to mention the crossover :-). But DH is a no can do on he crossover, we already have a Pilot. also, DH doesn't drive stick. Fairy drives stick and likes it :-). But alas ...

lhafer
12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Well, we're looking specifically at luxury cars only, and so it's between either the Lexus or the Infinity. We've looked into and crossed off the list the Audi, Beemer, Mercedes, and Acura. Caddy is still sort of out there, but honestly, I'm not the caddy type. I'm barely the luxury car type, frankly, and I never thought I'd agree to go down that road, but I have and am now on board. So, these are the two, and that's that. We don't want sporty, we want mid-size sedan. No boats here, but I do like the full size Infinity, not to mention the crossover :-). But DH is a no can do on he crossover, we already have a Pilot. also, DH doesn't drive stick. Fairy drives stick and likes it :-). But alas ...

Too bad because Hyundai's Genesis and upper level cars easily rival BMW, Infinity, Lexus, etc. And most car reports out there agree. You would be able to get a brand new Hyundai that comes with a much better warranty than either the used Lexus or the Infinity. In the end, it's more expensive to buy an Infiniti/Lexus because you are paying for a brand name - even though the quality of the car is the same or better in a Hyundai. The Genesis has more horsepower and better Torque than either the Infinity or the Lexus. It also has more head room/leg room/cargo room than the other 2.

We, too, were set on getting an Infinity Genesis or Lexus E350, but in the end after everything was compared - DH went with the Hyundai Genesis. He is over the top thrilled with it. A coworker of his was about to buy the same car, but ended up buying the G37 instead because he wanted the Infinity name.

Also with Infinity, gas recommendations are to go with Premium. So take extra gas prices into account. They are all good cars. It will come down to getting behind the wheel and driving to see which one is right for you in the end.

BillK
12-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Yea - that Genesis coupe is bada$$. And what a deal too! Hyundai has really come a long way in a short time.

lhafer
12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Yea - that Genesis coupe is bada$$. And what a deal too! Hyundai has really come a long way in a short time.

That's what my husband went with. I drive it whenever I can!! :D

wellyes
12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Hyundai is a buncha professional rip off artists, but they do it well.

Why spend luxury dollars to get a boat? Lexus is for people who don't like driving. I think a former Camero driver who cares about the driving experience will want the Infinity for sure.

lhafer
12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Hyundai is a buncha professional rip off artists, but they do it well.
Why spend luxury dollars to get a boat? Lexus is for people who don't like driving. I think a former Camero driver who cares about the driving experience will want the Infinity for sure.

What makes you say this? If anything, I think manufacturers like Lexus and Infinity are because they are just glorified Toyota and Nissan vehicles, yet they can get you to pay premiums prices for their cars. Hyundai is Hyundai. I like Lexus and Infinity vehicles for sure...but I'm not sure they are worth their cost just so you can have a Lexus or Infinity emblem on your hood - especially when the stuff's the same under the hood.

wellyes
12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Lexuses and Toyotas are made by the same company, so they share designers (and copyright). Same with Infinity/Nissan. Hyundai's design model is to liberally take elements of Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi and Lexus, make them more affordable. All car companies reference each other a little but Hyundai's cars are jarringly similar to much more expensive (mostly German) vehicles. Not a bad thing, truly. What they do is not illegal. Just that it's something they're pretty well-known for.

lhafer
12-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Lexuses and Toyotas are made by the same company, so they share designers (and copyright). Same with Infinity/Nissan. Hyundai's design model is to liberally take elements of Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi and Lexus, make them more affordable. All car companies reference each other a little but Hyundai's cars are jarringly similar to much more expensive (mostly German) vehicles. Not a bad thing, truly. What they do is not illegal. Just that it's something they're pretty well-known for.

So why reinvent the wheel? If they take parts of those other cars and can make a quality product they stand behind, then more power to them. Toyota makes Toyota vehicles, then adds some bells and whistles and changed the look slightly, slaps a much higher price tag on it and calls it a Lexus. Ever noticed how much the ES 350 looks like an Avalon? Same with Nissan/Infinity.

wellyes
12-28-2011, 12:25 PM
So why reinvent the wheel? If they take parts of those other cars and can make a quality product they stand behind, then more power to them. Toyota makes Toyota vehicles, then adds some bells and whistles and changed the look slightly, slaps a much higher price tag on it and calls it a Lexus. Ever noticed how much the ES 350 looks like an Avalon? Same with Nissan/Infinity.
Dude, I'm with you. I am 36 and have never paid more than $10,000 for a car. I wouldn't even spring for a Toyota, let alone a Lexus. But design is an art, even car design (my husband is an automotive designer). And the reason Hyundai doesn't reinvent the wheel is that they can make massive amounts of money on some other car company's innovation and investment. That's the way business goes, of course, it's not wrong. But I personally believe they've earned their reputation as "copycats".

AnnieW625
12-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I would double check the demensions of the ES and the Genesis, and then compare with the Infiniti G series, which seem to be quite a bit bigger than the G series. I also think that the ES isn't that much smaller than the Genesis.

I never have thought I would ever think about buying a Hyuandai, but they have come a long way and if I didn't have little kids and want 4 doors the Genesis coupe would be on the top of my list.

Hyundai is a buncha professional rip off artists
Yeah but so are all of the other companies. In Europe the Honda Accord is the US Acura TSX w/o all the luxury amenities that make an Acura an Acura. The Audi A3 is essentially a VW Jetta. The ES 350 now looks more like the redesigned Camry.

Lexus is for people who don't like driving.

Yeah the interior on a Lexus rocks, but Lexus is slowly becoming the new Buick unless you get the IS line, or maybe the GS, which is also RWD.

What makes you say this? If anything, I think manufacturers like Lexus and Infinity are because they are just glorified Toyota and Nissan vehicles, yet they can get you to pay premiums prices for their cars. Hyundai is Hyundai. I like Lexus and Infinity vehicles for sure...but I'm not sure they are worth their cost just so you can have a Lexus or Infinity emblem on your hood - especially when the stuff's the same under the hood.

:yeahthat: I feel the same way which is why I drive a Honda instead of a Acura; yeah the interior is nicer, but I have leather and heated seats in my car too. Infintis are a nice car and all, but I agree it is a high end Maxima that only takes premium fuel. All Nissan/Infinitis with a V6 or higher must run on at least mid grade, it is their only downfall IMHO. Check the reliability reports also because although Nissans in general tend to run forever (my parents have had 3 in 32 yrs. and each one had over 200k miles on it when they sold them (still running) the transmissions of each one gave them issues at right around 80000 to 100000 miles.

mom2binsd
12-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Annie, I am impressed with all this car knowledge! Who knew you knew so much!!!! A couple of the other ladies too, I know it's sexist, but I expected BillK and GiantBear to post, and where is codex when you need him?? But it's nice to see the ladies posting too!

lhafer
12-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Annie - I have a Nissan minivan and love it. It's coming on 102,000 miles and hasn't given me a problem yet. Well, I think I need to replace the battery soon, but that's under warranty so no biggie.

My DH sprung for the Genesis Coupe while our kids are still little. I have a 5.5 year old that has a little booster in his car that she uses when they do their little doughnut run every Sunday. That's the only time she's in his car. If they both need to go, then the minivan is the car that is taken. He figured that he had a small window of opportunity to get a coupe and took it. I'm glad because it honestly made him a lot happier.

I love cars. I research cars often (though not nearly as often as before kids), and I go to the auto show every single year. This year I'm hiring a babysitter because I want to have my full concentration on some vehicles that are my serious list this year. My minivan may go another 100k miles - but I'm ready for a new car in the next year or 2. I think 2013 may bring out quite a few redesigns too.

wellyes
12-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah but so are all of the other companies. In Europe the Honda Accord is the US Acura TSX w/o all the luxury amenities that make an Acura an Acura. The Audi A3 is essentially a VW Jetta. The ES 350 now looks more like the redesigned Camry.

But, again, Honda owns Acura. VW owns Acura. Toyota owns Lexus. Those are corporate partnerships, not "homages".

amldaley
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I have nothing of value to add...I just wanted to say that I find it both hilarious and a real statement of how life changes when you are replacing an almost 20 year old Camaro with a foreign luxury car!!!!! :rotflmao:

HonoluluMom
12-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I own a Lexus ES350 and owned an Infiniti in the past.

The Lexus is without a doubt the more luxurious brand. It has an extremely smooth ride with a quiet cabin and is more roomier. Because of it's size, safety features, and Lexus/Toyota reliability, I'm very happy driving it now that I have a child. But, it's boring, boring, boring. Heads won't turn, you won't be the first off the start line and it doesn't have the throaty growl of the Infiniti.

I would say the Infiniti is a sports sedan (whereas the Lexus is a luxury sedan). I believe it aspires to compete with the BMW 3-series. But, like a previous poster said it's Nissan's upscale brand and I was initially concerned with quality when I bought my Infiniti because Nissan's, I heard, are not the best quality. However, I absolutely loved my Infiniti. The servicing at my local dealer was amazing and I had no problems with the car. But, I haven't done much research on the current Infiniti's safety features.

If you're looking for a luxury sedan, how about the BMW 5-series?

Giantbear
12-28-2011, 11:38 PM
My father just bought the Equis from Hyundai. He was a loyal Lexus LS owner. The Hyundai has all the luxury and look of the other luxury cars, but it was missing the driving fun of a BMW or infiniti and just lacked the refinement of the LExus. He loves it but i feel like i am driving a boat. If you want economical luxury, i would check out the Genesis, but i still think you will like the g37 better. I will say, nothing i have owned drives like my old BMW did, but the pricing just got ridiculous, so i went to an infiniti.

Fairy
12-29-2011, 02:19 AM
Also with Infinity, gas recommendations are to go with Premium.

Actually, that's only for some models. For the ones we're looking at, regular is fine. Neither one of us want to invest in 15 years of Premium gas.

Fairy
12-29-2011, 02:27 AM
I have nothing of value to add...I just wanted to say that I find it both hilarious and a real statement of how life changes when you are replacing an almost 20 year old Camaro with a foreign luxury car!!!!! :rotflmao:

We drive our cars into the ground. Our 2000 Jeep Cherokee was replaced in 2009 only cuz the transmission died for the 2nd time, and that was that. Thank you cash for clunkers. The Camaro has served us well, never needed four figures plunked down on it at once (unlike the Jeep ... more than I want to think about), and we even put a booster in it now and then (DS thinks of this as a special treat while Mommy sits on pins and needles), and other than the fact that it's haunted (I'm only half kidding), it's got nothing serious wrong with it. We thought it died last month, but alas, it was only a belt (drat).

We don't want a Hyundai, sorry. We want a luxury car. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Thanks to all those who have weighed in on my OP.

Fairy
12-29-2011, 02:33 AM
I own a Lexus ES350 and owned an Infiniti in the past.

The Lexus is without a doubt the more luxurious brand. It has an extremely smooth ride with a quiet cabin and is more roomier. Because of it's size, safety features, and Lexus/Toyota reliability, I'm very happy driving it now that I have a child. But, it's boring, boring, boring. Heads won't turn, you won't be the first off the start line and it doesn't have the throaty growl of the Infiniti.

I would say the Infiniti is a sports sedan (whereas the Lexus is a luxury sedan). I believe it aspires to compete with the BMW 3-series. But, like a previous poster said it's Nissan's upscale brand and I was initially concerned with quality when I bought my Infiniti because Nissan's, I heard, are not the best quality. However, I absolutely loved my Infiniti. The servicing at my local dealer was amazing and I had no problems with the car. But, I haven't done much research on the current Infiniti's safety features.

If you're looking for a luxury sedan, how about the BMW 5-series?

Thank you! Very helpful. I don't want a BMW, but I could be swayed. I think we have hang ups that aren't, necessarily, rational, and for me, I'm not wanting to be seen driving a BMW or Mercedes (especially the latter). Childhood baggage. Not knocking the brands or judging anyone who drives them, I know nothing about them. But I can't bring myself to buy either of them for silly reasons. I did ask DH if he wanted to consider a Beemer, and he really had narrowed it down to Lexus or Infiniti ... or Acura, but based on reserach alone, we eliminated that one. Tho, now I forget why! I'll tell you, tho, for me, turning heads is not my thing. I don't need people to see how much money I may or may not have or my status. Which is why the Audi dealer is on my you're-a-schmuck list. So, that won't factor in at all. But DH had a great time driving the Infiniti. He says now that he wants to just go with that, but I'm trying to encourage him to test drive the Lexus just to be very sure.

wellyes
12-29-2011, 06:48 AM
If fun to drive is a factor, test drive a BMW M5. A luxury sedan with 500hp. It is a very special car.

newnana
12-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Hated our Lexus. We had the ES330, which is pretty different than the 350, though. DH wanted it because he's over 6' tall and it had leg room on par with his old jeep. Our jeep was like yours in terms of $$ repairs. So we ditched it for the lexus because he wanted it. I caved because of the reliability factor on the lexus being so high and I would never drive it. It handled like a marshmallow. I felt like I was driving a barge.

Then there was the accident. DH took DD out for breakfast one Saturday morning so I could sleep because he's the best DH in the world for me. He was even sweet enough to get me a latte to bring home and wake up to. Between the time they left and the time they were heading home it had dusted snow. He said of all the cars he's ever driven, he's never been so terrified in all his life. That includes being in a small plane crash, never so scared... granted, it could be due to the precious cargo in the back seat. He had zero control over the vehicle, and this was with pretty new tires and all that jazz. There is a hill in our subdivision and that was what was the deal breaker. He ended up plowing head on into a parked cargo van and pushing it back over 10 feet.

But here's the deal: even though the car handled like crap and there is no reason it should have been that bad, and there was over $17,000 worth of damage to the car, the worst that happened to either of them was that DD bit her tongue. That's it. Not a scratch, not a bump, nuthin on either of them.

I sold that car and got him an Audi A4 Quattro for it's all wheel drive. it is not as cush on the inside, but it handles like a dream. I grew up driving road courses and prefer tight steering, though. DH loves it. It's the first car he's ever had that he loves.

I'll never let him pick again. And the Lexus dealership guys were a$$holes. Our Audi dealership is super nice. I think that's all based on who you get. Except VW, they are all a$$holes, and I own an 02 passat turbo because I love the car despite the dealership.

The number of lexus stories I've heard like ours astonishes me, all due to handling. I love Infinity. I love Audi (but if your dealership is a bunch of jerks and you'd be dealing with them long term, I hear your point).

None of that is probably any help and certainly too long, but just our experience. Good luck!!

Giantbear
12-29-2011, 10:42 AM
My wife's g37 is the all wheel drive version, replaced her honda when she was pregnant, i wanted her in allwheel for the winter. It is amazing.

I understand the stigma with a beemer, but they drive like no other regular car i have ever driven.

TxCat
12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
I'll never let him pick again. And the Lexus dealership guys were a$$holes. Our Audi dealership is super nice. I think that's all based on who you get. Except VW, they are all a$$holes, and I own an 02 passat turbo because I love the car despite the dealership.

The number of lexus stories I've heard like ours astonishes me, all due to handling. I love Infinity. I love Audi (but if your dealership is a bunch of jerks and you'd be dealing with them long term, I hear your point).

Totally agree with the dealership coloring your overall feeling about the car.

We replaced my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 200K miles on it with an Audi A4 in 2008. Totally drove the Jeep into the ground - it started stalling in traffic for no reasons, so had to get rid of it for safety reasons. Car sales were abysmal that fall with the financial markets tanking so we got a great deal. We test drove Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti and Mercedes, and it came down to Audi and BMW at the end. However, the two BMW dealerships we went to in town were complete jerks both times - first one was overly slick and sleezy, and the second one was very unprofessional and didn't even try to make any sort of deal. Our Audi experience was amazing and I've loved my car. I have crazy Audi loyalty now.

AnnieW625
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Actually, that's only for some models. For the ones we're looking at, regular is fine. Neither one of us want to invest in 15 years of Premium gas.

Things might have changed in the last couple of years, but while regular fuel is okay the V6 models will get an engine ping sound if you don't use at least mid grade fuel. A friend with a 2006 Altima V6 has to use mid grade so I am sure that is going to be the same for the G37. Edmunds.com recommends premium fuel for best performance and gas mileage.

lhafer
12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Things might have changed in the last couple of years, but while regular fuel is okay the V6 models will get an engine ping sound if you don't use at least mid grade fuel. A friend with a 2006 Altima V6 has to use mid grade so I am sure that is going to be the same for the G37. Edmunds.com recommends premium fuel for best performance and gas mileage.

:yeahthat: That's what I've read as well Annie. And Acuras all take Premium fuel as well.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 12:46 PM
We drive our cars into the ground. Our 2000 Jeep Cherokee was replaced in 2009 only cuz the transmission died for the 2nd time, and that was that. Thank you cash for clunkers. The Camaro has served us well, never needed four figures plunked down on it at once (unlike the Jeep ... more than I want to think about), and we even put a booster in it now and then (DS thinks of this as a special treat while Mommy sits on pins and needles), and other than the fact that it's haunted (I'm only half kidding), it's got nothing serious wrong with it. We thought it died last month, but alas, it was only a belt (drat).

We don't want a Hyundai, sorry. We want a luxury car. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Thanks to all those who have weighed in on my OP.

I hope you don't think I was begrudging you the luxury car! Just an interesting glimpse in to how life changes, is all! It really does sound like you are the type of owners who get every penny's worth from your vehicles, luxury or not! I am a firm believer that if you are responsible vehicle owners and responsible with your money, then you should get whatever the heck kind of car meets your sensibilities!

I think I remember you posting about your Jeep - that was a much lamented and drawn out demise for you, wasn't it???? DH will be the same way about his beloved 2001 Nissan Frontier...he is desperate to keep it until it hits200,000!!!!

Cam&Clay
12-29-2011, 12:50 PM

My last 3 cars have been Hyundais. I drive the van they don't make anymore now. I love Hyundais and even though DH has offered to buy me a BMW suv, I would probably stick with Hyundai.

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm honestly just curious- is it the brand name that makes it luxury or is it something(s) else? I have a Mazda and a Honda but I have heard the local Lexus dealership is one swanky place to hang out while your car is getting serviced, for example (vs the dingy hovel that is my Mazda dealership :)).

ECMom
12-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I can't speak for their car line, but I have a Lexus GX SUV and love it. I bought it used with just under 10K miles on it. It was my 1st luxury vehicle purchase after owning a Ford, Honda, and Toyota.

Another important factor is checking out the service department of the dealership you will be going to. Trust me, they have a big influence on your car ownership experience. At the luxury car level, the service department employees should be providing top notch customer service (actually, all dealers should be doing this but most don't make it a priority :(.).

I will never go back to a non-luxury vehicle because I don't want to deal with their customer service hassles. Plus, I love, love having free loaner cars - no waiting around for service!

Fairy
12-29-2011, 05:13 PM
I hope you don't think I was begrudging you the luxury car! Just an interesting glimpse in to how life changes, is all! It really does sound like you are the type of owners who get every penny's worth from your vehicles, luxury or not! I am a firm believer that if you are responsible vehicle owners and responsible with your money, then you should get whatever the heck kind of car meets your sensibilities!

I think I remember you posting about your Jeep - that was a much lamented and drawn out demise for you, wasn't it???? DH will be the same way about his beloved 2001 Nissan Frontier...he is desperate to keep it until it hits200,000!!!!

No worries! I got your point, and it is funny!

Yes, lamented inded. I sobbed saying goodbye to him when we bought the pilot. The garage guys thought I was truly nuts.

Bryan mom
12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I have the ES350 and love the smooth ride. Too bad it does not have AWD, so don't know if that's a consideration. We have one other car with AWD, so when road conditions are bad, only one of us will travel. Both DH and I have short commutes to work or we work from home when road conditions are bad.

Love the service. For maintenance (both major and minor), I can call up and schedule an appointment and have someone pick up my car and I have another ES350 with the same ammenities like navigation for a loaner. On occasions, I stop by for free car washes (unlimited). If I go in the morning, there are pastries and bagels. Sandwiches are out for lunch. Bottled water, coffee, and newspaper available. It's a really pleasant experience.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm honestly just curious- is it the brand name that makes it luxury or is it something(s) else? I have a Mazda and a Honda but I have heard the local Lexus dealership is one swanky place to hang out while your car is getting serviced, for example (vs the dingy hovel that is my Mazda dealership :)).

Typically, what seperates a luxury car from the average cars is performance and trim quality. Luxury cars typically will either perform better, handle better, climb rocks better, corner better, go faster, run more smoothly, etc. They are usually better equipped for sound proofing with more quiet cabins. The interiors are of a higher grade than even the highest end of the conventional car models. Better foam in the seats, 40 way electric seat positioning, heated seats, air conditioned seats, etc. The stereo systems are typically a cut above what you can get in a conventional brand.

Not all of these factors are true in every case, but those are sort of the general criteria. What makes it a luxury brand is what you can get from that brand, not just the name. I will not begrudge budget friendly makers like Hyundai (more my level), but there can be no confusing a Hyundai with an Infinity once you have ridden in both.

And I guess the dealership is swanky b/c someone dropping $35k+ on a vehicle is typically the type of client who enjoys a liitle swank. It is the difference between walking in to Wal-Mart vs Nordstrom.

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Typically, what seperates a luxury car from the average cars is performance and trim quality. Luxury cars typically will either perform better, handle better, climb rocks better, corner better, go faster, run more smoothly, etc. They are usually better equipped for sound proofing with more quiet cabins. The interiors are of a higher grade than even the highest end of the conventional car models. Better foam in the seats, 40 way electric seat positioning, heated seats, air conditioned seats, etc. The stereo systems are typically a cut above what you can get in a conventional brand.

Not all of these factors are true in every case, but those are sort of the general criteria. What makes it a luxury brand is what you can get from that brand, not just the name. I will not begrudge budget friendly makers like Hyundai (more my level), but there can be no confusing a Hyundai with an Infinity once you have ridden in both.

And I guess the dealership is swanky b/c someone dropping $35k+ on a vehicle is typically the type of client who enjoys a liitle swank. It is the difference between walking in to Wal-Mart vs Nordstrom.

Right. I was mostly thinking of in this thread people recommending the Hyundai because it had so much of the same styling and features of the brand names. If the Hyundai, for example, rides as well as the Infinitis and Lexuses (hypothetical) then are you only paying for the name; paying more so you can say you drive X? Or is the Hyundai steps behind in other areas that make the luxury brand worth it in another way (hence the dealership service example)?

Fairy
12-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Hyundai is not a luxury brand. It's not. It may be a good car. It may have styling like a luxury car. But it's not. There are things that make one line "better" (for lack of a better term, I'm not interested in splitting hairs in an argument) than another, but there's an innate understanding in my own mind about what does and does not qualify. GM's used to go Chevy/Pontiac/Olds/Buick/Caddy. That same innate understanding of that totem pole applies when looking at "luxury brands." We've been driving the same workhorse for 17 freaking years. We're allowed to trade up now.

Thanks to all of you who have weighed in with what I asked. Very helpful. We're on it!

kellij
12-30-2011, 02:57 AM
So fun! Congrats on your expected arrival of your new car. :) I had a Lexus and it was an excellent car. My dad currently has it, it's 15 years old and still going strong. Granted the leather has split, but that's it. I never had to do anything other than routine maintenance to it. Well, and replace a windshield that DH busted while trying to get off ice one time. What I really loved about it is the fact that it is made by toyota. So I could take it anywhere to get the oil changed or have work done on it. If we needed parts, we could often use toyota parts, which are substantially less expensive than lexus parts and work just the same. The only killer was that when he broke the windshield we had to get a lexus windshield, which was about 1500 for a 13-year-old car. We opted for the salvage yard and that worked out great.

I would assume an infinity is similar to that. My sister has a nissan right now and is having a horrible experience because the dealership won't fix something on her car after having it for a month and incorrectly "fixing" it because they say an accident that she had more than 9 months ago caused the problem. So I am pretty disappointed in the lack of customer service on the nissan front. I don't know what their reputation is on that.

My DH had a bmw and it was horrible. We had to either go to the bmw dealer or someone who was certified to work on them. It always cost a fortune every time we took it in. That isn't necessarily so bad if your car is fairly new, but if you end up driving it into the ground, like the previous cars, it's painful to pay more for visits to the garage than the car is worth.

lhafer
12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
So fun! Congrats on your expected arrival of your new car. :) I had a Lexus and it was an excellent car. My dad currently has it, it's 15 years old and still going strong. Granted the leather has split, but that's it. I never had to do anything other than routine maintenance to it. Well, and replace a windshield that DH busted while trying to get off ice one time. What I really loved about it is the fact that it is made by toyota. So I could take it anywhere to get the oil changed or have work done on it. If we needed parts, we could often use toyota parts, which are substantially less expensive than lexus parts and work just the same. The only killer was that when he broke the windshield we had to get a lexus windshield, which was about 1500 for a 13-year-old car. We opted for the salvage yard and that worked out great.

I would assume an infinity is similar to that. My sister has a nissan right now and is having a horrible experience because the dealership won't fix something on her car after having it for a month and incorrectly "fixing" it because they say an accident that she had more than 9 months ago caused the problem. So I am pretty disappointed in the lack of customer service on the nissan front. I don't know what their reputation is on that.
My DH had a bmw and it was horrible. We had to either go to the bmw dealer or someone who was certified to work on them. It always cost a fortune every time we took it in. That isn't necessarily so bad if your car is fairly new, but if you end up driving it into the ground, like the previous cars, it's painful to pay more for visits to the garage than the car is worth.

I think this is strictly by dealership, not the *type* of dealership. My Nissan dealership has excellent customer service. It has won multiple awards for it's service department. I mean, I forgo the cheaper oil change places to take my car back to the dealer to get serviced. They remember me, remember my name, remember conversations we've had in the past (stuff they can't find in a computer log somewhere). We live in a very large city, and there are TONS of dealerships of every kind. And some get a horrible rap for being jerks, bad customer service, pushy, etc. A friend of mine had horrible service at her Ford dealership. I don't think you can say Nissan or Toyota or Mazda dealerships (as a whole) have bad customer service, though I know some do. I've known some people who've had luxury cars that had bad experiences at their dealership as well.

wellyes
12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Right. I was mostly thinking of in this thread people recommending the Hyundai because it had so much of the same styling and features of the brand names. If the Hyundai, for example, rides as well as the Infinitis and Lexuses (hypothetical) then are you only paying for the name; paying more so you can say you drive X? Or is the Hyundai steps behind in other areas that make the luxury brand worth it in another way (hence the dealership service example)?It's not about the dealer. If, at the used car lot, you test drove a 5 year old luxury car and a 5 year old budget brand, you would instantly know the difference. The ride, handling and build quality are not comparable. They are both good quality, but there's an obvious difference for the money that you would know with a few minutes of driving. In BBB terms, perhaps we can say it's like Hanna vs Children's Place.

My experience is from going to many many car events, held at old air fields, where you get to drive a variety of cars around tracks. Or, in some cases, get to be a passenger - they do not trust random drivers to navigate the crazy hazards set up for Hummers.

Anyway, luxury cars are nice. I personally haven't got one and don't plan to - not my priority since I am a public transportation rider. But for people who drive a lot and keep them for a decade or more, it is worth it to get one that you love. Whether that means getting a fast little coupe, getting a minivan, or getting a luxury car.

khm
12-30-2011, 10:28 AM
But for people who drive a lot and keep them for a decade or more, it is worth it to get one that you love. Whether that means getting a fast little coupe, getting a minivan, or getting a luxury car.

That's what we did, and I suppose will continue to do. We bought a three-year old Audi. It's now 11 years old. :) I do appreciate that there is something about the design that it doesn't look that old and doesn't feel old. It is still tight and fun to drive. 200k miles. For the record, I LOATHE the dealer, but found a great import shop that is certified and all that jazz. Haven't been to the dealer in a decade.

My husband bought a '94 Accord two-door new. We still have it too. We've put so little money into it, it is shocking, really.

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Hyundai is not a luxury brand. It's not. It may be a good car. It may have styling like a luxury car. But it's not. There are things that make one line "better" (for lack of a better term, I'm not interested in splitting hairs in an argument) than another, but there's an innate understanding in my own mind about what does and does not qualify. GM's used to go Chevy/Pontiac/Olds/Buick/Caddy. That same innate understanding of that totem pole applies when looking at "luxury brands." We've been driving the same workhorse for 17 freaking years. We're allowed to trade up now.

Thanks to all of you who have weighed in with what I asked. Very helpful. We're on it!

Never said you weren't entitled to go with whatever car appealed to you. I was just curious because posters said that in terms of things like styling and handling, the Hyundai was an excellent knock off. But, when you said you really didn't want it and wanted a luxury car, I just wasn't sure what separated it from a luxury car. I know that Hyundai isn't a luxury brand, no doubt. It was just something that made me wonder what it was about not getting a Hyundai and/ or getting the brand name that made the difference. And I mis-spoke, I meant dealership referring not to the buying transaction but service department for years to come (hence my example of the friend's Lexus dealership vs my Mazda shop).

I really wasn't picking on you and your choice. I know it was a dumb question to even bring up Hyundai vs other cars. Happy shopping.

wellyes
12-30-2011, 10:58 AM
I was just curious because posters said that in terms of things like styling and handling, the Hyundai was an excellent knock off.

Hyundai is an true exception. I remember reading magazine articles comparing the Genesis to Audi, BMW, Mercedes.... not saying it's necessarily as good, more "wow look at this underdog go against the big guys!!" No other non-luxury brand that I know of has earned those accolades. But at the same time, you buy an Audi, get get a roll-cage and maybe walk away from an accident that you wouldn't with the Hyundai.

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Hyundai is an true exception. I remember reading magazine articles comparing the Genesis to Audi, BMW, Mercedes.... not saying it's necessarily as good, more "wow look at this underdog go against the big guys!!" No other non-luxury brand that I know of has earned those accolades. But at the same time, you buy an Audi, get get a roll-cage and maybe walk away from an accident that you wouldn't with the Hyundai.

roll cage, bagels and sandwiches, free car washes...those were the things I was trying to prise out. Thanks! :)

Fairy
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
We're halfway to the loan and are going with the Infinity G37x (probably the x). We're taking one for the day shortly, and we'll make the final decision then. DH opted not to try the Lexus at all, he's really loving the Infinitis. So, when we go this afternoon, I'm going to check out the service dept, which I think is the best piece of advice.

Thanks very much for all the input.

arivecchi
01-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow Fairy! How exciting!

I don't know much about cars, but I do agree with those who say that the driving experience is entirely different in a luxury car. Enjoy your new luxurious ride! You deserve it!

MSWR0319
01-03-2012, 08:55 PM
We have an Infiniti QX, but I want to say I think you'll love your car if you get it. When I had to go in for service I drove a couple different Infiniti cars and loved each one.

mom2khj
01-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Congrats on the new car! I can't wait to car shop again.

A little late to the party, but wanted to chime in anyways. I drive a 10-yr old Nissan Maxima GLE with 200k miles. A few times in the past few months it has been in the shop for service. During this time I was loaned MILs 11 year old Lexus ES300 with 100k miles to get to work (35 miles one way). It felt light years older than my car, not just 1 year older. In it's looks as well as in the way it drove. My car even had a few features hers did not (heated seats, steering wheel radio controls, to name a couple). It drove so very unimpressively (sluggish, radio was crappy, windows had some air noise, etc). It made me VERY happy that we opted for the Nissan and not the Lexus (we strongly considered it) when we bought my car. As much as I am ready to get rid of my car now (mostly because of it's age and the fact we have 3 kids crammed in the back, LOL), I was always so very glad to get it back each time! There was nothing about her car that made me feel it was worth the extra 10k she probably spent on it.

She did replace it with a new ES350, so obviously it was the right car for her and she enjoyed driving it. I know servicing (oil changes and such) were more convenient, as the dealer took care of it. But she also said they frequently tried to upsell her lots of stuff she didn't need. But, like I said, she did buy another so it must not have been too bad. :rotflmao: