PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for board games for the whole family

WitMom
12-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Our NYE tradition is a family game night and "slumber party". I am looking for some recommendations for some new board games we can add to our rotation. DDs are 4 and 7. We have Blokus, which DD2 doesn't enjoy (she can't "keep up" with everyone yet). Haba Orchard is her favorite, but a little boring for the rest of us. We have Busytown, which everyone liked initially, but we've played it so many times, we're a little burnt out. Santa brought Enchanted Forest and Monopoly Jr., which are pretty good for all of us. We have various other assorted games (actually too many to list), but these are our top ones right now. Any other ideas of ones we should consider?

anonomom
12-28-2011, 08:25 AM
How about Operation?

Also, I think kids could enjoy farkle, which is a dice game. For that matter, how about yatzee?

ladysoapmaker
12-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Crocodile Pool Party. it's a fun game, but only for 2 players.

There is a game called Candy by Beleduc that may work. We had it several years ago and DD#1 loved it. I need to find it to pull out for DD#2. It has a mat and the pieces are placed on it and you get to pull the candy pieces, Don't remember much else with it.

We tend to get games leveled just slightly above the kids ages so I'm not finding too many that we have for 4 year olds.

There is the old stand by of cards, War, Old maid, Go Fish, that can be played with 4 people.

Good Luck
Jen

Jo..
12-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Charades for Kids (Pressman Toys)
Sequence for Kids (Jax LTD)
Sum Swamp (Learning Resources)
Money Bags game (Learning Resources)

sidmand
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Would you play card games or only board games? DD and DS (a year younger than yours) each love UNO and Go Fish. We also just played Sorry Sliders all together. Sorry itself, Hulabaloo, Hiss, DVD Bingo (we like Monopoly Jr. too), Pictureka, Balloon Lagoon.

pinkflamingo
12-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Sorry and Uno are favorites around here!

Jen841
12-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Kids on Stage, Sorry and Uno are the favs in our house. My old Mastermind and Payday arrived, so we may try those.

The game of Life is what my son wanted for Christmas, maybe a 'team' game since #2 can't read yet.

hellokitty
12-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I second having a few decks of cards handy too. My brothers taught my older boys how to play, "war" over the Christmas holiday and they LOVED it! My mom also taught DS2 how to play some game (don't know which one, I wasn't paying attn). I think it's a nice way to bridge the older and younger generations, since kids don't know many card games and older ppl do. You can even do easy stuff like memory with a deck of cards.

ahrimie
12-28-2011, 03:20 PM
How about Jenga? I found another game, Zimbbos, it's a preschool stacking game (kind of the opposite of Jenga, where you have to build up). It's quick so doesn't provide long entertainment but not bad.

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Not a board game, but we all love Hullaballoo!!!

happy2bamom
12-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Our family enjoys this one. Our youngest enjoys it the most, but everyone has fun with it.

http://www.amazon.com/LCR-Family-Game-colors-vary/dp/B000YMXAAQ

We also just learned this one yesterday, our 5 year old needs some help w/ strategy but sometimes one of us just teams up with him.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Orange-300-Yamslam/dp/B001TMZ6WU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1325102315&sr=1-1

This is another family favorite (prefered by the kids, but we have fun with it too)

http://www.amazon.com/Pressman-Toy-2656-06-Jumpin-Monkeys/dp/B00004TFZH/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1325102427&sr=1-2

fivi2
12-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Our family likes this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Make-Break-Family-Game/dp/B0002CYTXK

You can arrange the deck so the kids draw from the easier pile and the adults get the hard ones. Of course my kids are better at it than I am!

octmom
12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
We got Headbanz this fall and three generations of our family had fun playing it together.

zoestargrove
12-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Sorry
Sleeping Queens (this is a card game)
Labyrinth (by Ravensburger)
pictionary is hysterical with kids. We just use the cards and a white board, but OMG, I pee nearly pee my pants with what my youngest would draw. (he was probably 5 when we started this)
Apples to Apples Jr.

Tondi G
12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Uno and Sorry are well liked in our house oh and Trouble too. We also have a funny game called Headbands.... it's great for all ages.

Not a family game (only 2 players per game) but DS2 got Connect 4 launchers for Xmas and we've all had fun playing that!

WitMom
12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I'll be heading to Target today to see which of these they have. The others I'll add to my Amazon wishlist for "future reference". Can't wait to try some of them out.

vonfirmath
12-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Our NYE tradition is a family game night and "slumber party". I am looking for some recommendations for some new board games we can add to our rotation. DDs are 4 and 7. We have Blokus, which DD2 doesn't enjoy (she can't "keep up" with everyone yet). Haba Orchard is her favorite, but a little boring for the rest of us. We have Busytown, which everyone liked initially, but we've played it so many times, we're a little burnt out. Santa brought Enchanted Forest and Monopoly Jr., which are pretty good for all of us. We have various other assorted games (actually too many to list), but these are our top ones right now. Any other ideas of ones we should consider?

Tsuro!
We just got it this Christmas and our 4 year old is LOVING it

mommylamb
12-29-2011, 02:44 PM
It's funny how popular Uno and Sorry are on this thread. DS got both of them for either Hanukkah or Christmas this year. We've played sorry a couple times and he likes it, but Uno has been a huge hit. I've played at least 6 games of Uno a day (usually more) since he got it.