PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between two infant carseats

bargaingirl40
12-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi! Our baby is due in February and we currently have the Chicco KeyFit Seat. But, we have a the Britax B-agile stroller. We like the Keyfit, but are thinking we should just get the Britax Chaperone infant seat to match the stroller. We don't really want to spend the money on an adapter for the stroller. We like the stroller because it goes from infant to 55 pounds, so we would really only need this one stroller.

Or we could take the Britax stroller back and just get a frame to fit the keyfit carseat and then get an inexpensive umbrella stroller later on.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

TwoBees
12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
My rec is to keep the stroller and the Key fit, and either buy the adaptor for the carseat (http://www.britaxusa.com/store/details/accessories/b-agile/infant-car-seat-adapter-frame) or a stroller frame. The price of the adaptor + the keyfit is essentially the same price as the Chaperone carseat (if you were to return the keyfit and get the Chaperone instead).

lmwbasye
12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
If you like the stroller, I would say keep it, but also I wouldn't change up the carseat at all. The Keyfit is a fantastic seat. I would get the adapter or a stroller frame if it's important to you to fit the carseat in a stroller.

bargaingirl40
12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
We do like the rebound bar on the Britax Chaperone carseat. has anyone had experience with this? Thank you!

legaleagle
12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd definitely try the chaperone in your car if you can - it is absolutely humongous front to back. There's also the b-safe which doesn't have the rebound bar but is smaller.

edurnemk
12-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I'd definitely keep the stroller if I was in your shoes (or exchange it for another one, but not just a frame), and not base my choice on the car seat. Snapping the car seat unto the stroller is practical but IMO you can't survive with this feature alone, there are many situations in which you'll need the stroller seat from the start, i.e. longer outings, outdoor walks, naps. Aside from the fact that it's not recommended to leave babies in the car seat for long periods, you could have a baby like mine who HATED the infant seat and would scream non stop if left in it awake. So, needless to say I was glad to have the option to transfer him to the stroller seat (fully reclined o half-way reclined by 3 months), I'd only put the car seat in the stroller if he was asleep or if it was a super quick errand.

In regards to the car seat, I'd try both in my car and see which one fits better. The Key Fit is highly recommended, it's very safe as well. The best and safest car seat is the best that installs the best in your car an dis easier for you to use correctly.

zag95
12-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't change the stroller just to match the carseat. Besides, sometimes they aren't in the "bucket" seats that long. after about 7 mos of the graco seat, we moved DD to her Britax Marathon.

I'd look for the lowest priced seat that is safe, and keep the stroller you really like. You'll use the stroller much more over time, than the "bucket" seat!

GL!

BabyBearsMom
12-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Isn't a Chaperon like $170? And the adapter to use the Keyfit is $50, right? I think I would buy the adapter and save myself $120.

Also, honestly, I barely ever used the car seat click in feature when my DD was a baby. She didn't love the carseat and being in carseats isn't great for babies for long stretches of time. I usually wore her until she was about 6 months old and after 6 months old she just went into the stroller without the car seat. We only used our KF30 until DD was 6 months old anyway because it got too heavy to pull in and out of the car.

AnnieW625
12-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I would get the car seat adaptor bar for the stroller. I will say that with my older daughter I never had a stroller that took a car seat and I didn't miss it. If we were going to the mall or the park I just put her in the fully reclined stroller and it worked out just fine. Now I did have an adaptor for DD2 because I had to pick up DD1 at preschool and it was much easier to just snap her into the stroller frame and go. It was also easy for the grocery store because my stroller had a large basket. For shopping with both girls I also used my baby carrier a (Bjorn with DD1, and a Beco with DD2).

lorinick
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
You could just use the keyfit caddy when using the car seat. It's amazing! It came out a few months ago. Finally Chicco...

Also have you looked at the Britax B-Safe? It's a better fit in most cars than Chap which usually doesn't fit in much. And it will work in the B-Agile.

Multimama
12-28-2011, 07:31 PM
For less than the price of the Chaperone you could get the First Years Indigo, which can take the Keyfit and then you'd have a reversible stroller too for the parent-facing option. :)

staceyeileen
01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Keep the stroller. B-Agile is a great stroller. Never base your stroller choice on a car seat or vice versa. It's a shame that so many people do this really.

Keep the Keyfit. It's an awesome seat.

Purchase either the adapter bar OR a stroller frame. They cost about the same, I believe. We opted for a stroller frame which we used for about 5 months, and then we started putting DS directly into the stroller (a BJCM).