PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Wish List Problem

mommylamb
12-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Has anyone else experienced this? Everyone in my family has Amazon wish lists (including my sister and her husband), and family often buys off of the wish lists for Christmas and/or Hanukkah presents. I've had a number of occasions when an item is purchased on the wish list by someone, and yet it doesn't come off the wish list and someone else purchases the same item. Amazon has always allowed free return shipping when this happens, but it's really annoying to get someone the same gift some else got them. I've complained to Amazon about this on multiple occasions. This year it happened with DS, but fortunately we caught it before Christmas morning. I found out yesterday that my mother and I both got my BIL the same Christmas gift though, and I'm just pissed off about it. Whenever I've complained to Amazon, the chat person always says that they'll alert management but nothing is ever done. I'm a big Amazon purchaser, and I love the wish list feature, but this is totally annoying me!!!! It has happened on at least 1 item during the holidays for the last 3 years.

lhafer
12-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I noticed that when I went into our wish lists, that the item wouldn't come off the list, but when I clicked on it, a message would pop up saying "This item may have been purchased already, do you want to continue?". I've never seen items be deleted off of a wish list after they have been purchased from one. That's just been my experience.

MommyofAmaya
12-28-2011, 11:26 AM
This happened to us twice this year. One was a heavy item and I just paid $13 (on a $25 item) to return it to Amazon. They said they would credit me the return shipping and I hope they come through. Nearly all the kids gifts have been purchased off wish list from 4 different sets of grandparents for at least three years and this is the first time it has happened to us. I think Amazon is getting overwhelmed. It is disappointing, but I'm grateful that it hasn't happened before.

MommyofAmaya
12-28-2011, 11:28 AM
I noticed that when I went into our wish lists, that the item wouldn't come off the list, but when I clicked on it, a message would pop up saying "This item may have been purchased already, do you want to continue?". I've never seen items be deleted off of a wish list after they have been purchased from one. That's just been my experience.

The view that you see from inside your account is different from what the buyer sees. The item should be totally gone from the view of the buyer so these mistakes can't happen. If you click "preview" on the wish list, you will see the public view.

mommylamb
12-28-2011, 11:28 AM
(Should have quoted lhafer from above)

That's what happens if someone buys something from my list and I look at my own list (while logged in as myself). I totally understand why they do that, and I think it's a good thing.

But, this is a different issue entirely. This is me going to Amazon (logged in under my Amazon account) and purchasing something for my BIL off his list. Then my mother goes to Amazon a few days later looking to buy BIL a gift (logged in under her account), and rather than having that item deleted from his list as it should be, the same item appears to still be unpurchased, so she buys it too. Hence a duplicate Christmas present. Amazon is supposed to take the items off the list (they show up if you look at what is purchased, but the list you see when you first log in is just supposed to be unpurchased items), but this isn't happening.

You only get the "This item may have been purchased already" message if you look at your own list (while logged in under your own username). They do that so that if you're just glancing at your own list, you won't know what has been purchased. But the item should come off the list when anyone else looks at your list to avoid duplicate purchases. The problem I've encountered is that this doesn't happen.

lhafer
12-28-2011, 11:31 AM
That's what happens if someone buys something from my list and I look at my own list (while logged in as myself). I totally understand why they do that, and I think it's a good thing.

But, this is a different issue entirely. This is me going to Amazon (logged in under my Amazon account) and purchasing something for my BIL off his list. Then my mother goes to Amazon a few days later looking to buy BIL a gift (logged in under her account), and rather than having that item deleted from his list as it should be, the same item appears to still be unpurchased, so she buys it too. Hence a duplicate Christmas present. Amazon is supposed to take the items off the list (they show up if you look at what is purchased, but the list you see when you first log in is just supposed to be unpurchased items), but this isn't happening.

You only get the "This item may have been purchased already" message if you look at your own list (while logged in under your own username). They do that so that if you're just glancing at your own list, you won't know what has been purchased. But the item should come off the list when anyone else looks at your list to avoid duplicate purchases. The problem I've encountered is that this doesn't happen.

I see...that makes sense! We have the Prime accounts so everyone always buys stuff through ours! Haha! I've never seen a wish list outside of ours.

catsnkid
12-28-2011, 11:37 AM
this happened to my family this christmas!! very annoying!!

arivecchi
12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Maybe you can post on their facebook page?

Uno-Mom
12-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Us, too. Now i'm figuring out how to do returns....

mommylamb
12-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Us, too. Now i'm figuring out how to do returns....

Make sure you explain to them what happened so that they'll send you a return slip where they pay the postage.

Uno-Mom
12-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Make sure you explain to them what happened so that they'll send you a return slip where they pay the postage.
Thanks! That's what I'll do. Fingers crossed....

Do you have to have the original order number or packing slip? I'd rather not hassle my mil for those.

mommylamb
12-28-2011, 01:59 PM
You shouldn't need that. I think they'll take your word on it unless you're the type of customer who returns things all the time to them.

BabyBearsMom
12-28-2011, 02:01 PM
We are having the same problem and I don't know why. I am also having it on my baby registry. I just looked the other day and saw that the quantity requested was 1 and the quantity received was 2. I'm ticked off that this is happening. Isn't this the whole point of a wish list/registry?

maestramommy
12-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Actually it happens to me too. I have to go in occasionally and update everything, delete items that have already been given.

Pilotbaby
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
This just happened to us with our baby registry. I contacted Amazon and they said that if items are ordered through their site but actually purchased from another vendor this can happen. They also said to send them the info and they would update the registry. That doesn't really help as I can just delete the items myself once I have received them and doesn't solve the problem of getting more than one of the same item. I also had someone purchase several things they said showed up on my registry that I did not register for. I thought Amazon paid for returns like this but it sounds like from this thread that people have had to pay their own shipping.

Uno-Mom
12-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Another question: if you then delete the item to make the list current, don't you lose your proof that it was ever on your list and also lose your argument that their system goofed? I almost deleted some stuff then wondered if I'd lose my free return shipping. I left the stuff on there until I get the returns handled.

Pilotbaby
12-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Another question: if you then delete the item to make the list current, don't you lose your proof that it was ever on your list and also lose your argument that their system goofed? I almost deleted some stuff then wondered if I'd lose my free return shipping. I left the stuff on there until I get the returns handled.

I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with them...safest bet for this issue is to call them and have them show the item as purchased versus deleting it yourself. When they do it, it looks like all of the other items that were originally on your list but have been purchased already.

mommylamb
12-29-2011, 02:14 PM
We are having the same problem and I don't know why. I am also having it on my baby registry. I just looked the other day and saw that the quantity requested was 1 and the quantity received was 2. I'm ticked off that this is happening. Isn't this the whole point of a wish list/registry?

I noticed that this happened on my baby registry as well, so already know I'll be making a return. and the item was sold by Amazon, not one of the things I added with the universal registry button.