PDA

View Full Version : Friend never RSVPed, can I cancel?

crl
12-28-2011, 11:18 AM
The week before Christmas, I invited friends (a couple, and their two grade school age kids) over to celebrate East Coast NYE with us. The mom said she would need to get back to me because they were thinking about going skiing. Well, she still hasn't gotten back to me. And I've lost interest.

My kids have been sick (mostly better now) and dh has ended up working this week when I thought he would be off. So I am tired and my house is a wreck. I would have to clean and go to the store and so on.

If she had said yes already, I wouldn't dream of backing out. But since she still hasn't answered, can I retract the invite? If so, how? They are good friends and I really like them, but they do tend to be bad about making plans, if that matters to your answer.

Catherine

TwoBees
12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Absolutely IMO. Just let her know that things changed and it isn't going to work for you. And maybe suggest getting together a different time?

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I am in the same boat! I invited friends and am still waiting to hear back. I don;t have any other plans though and am still game for hosting. My plan is to follow up today. I think it would be ok to cancel in your case though. I'd probably say, "I know I suggested getting together on NYE but I am going to have to reschedule for a get together another time. The holidays just wiped us out I look forward to getting together with your family after all the craziness has died down. Happy New Year!!".

momm
12-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Absolutely. I would just say something like "looks like you guys are busy that weekend, and we've been unwell anyway, so let's plan to catch up some other time"

That way she can't RSVP after hearing from you and then you will be forced to go.

mackmama
12-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Definitely. I'd shoot her an email and say "we talked about maybe getting together for NYE. i think we're going to lay low since the kids have been sick. let's get together soon!"

JustMe
12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes, I agree with everyone else. I would probably say something about not hearing back and the kids being sick so its not a good time anyway.

MMMommy
12-28-2011, 01:11 PM
I think you definitely have an out because the kids have been sick. Just mention you would love to reschedule when the kids are no longer sick.

crl
12-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Okay, thanks everyone! I sent a email saying that I am sorry but we will need to get together some other time because I am wiped out from the kids' back to back illnesses.

Catherine