PDA

View Full Version : NYE Meal Ideas and NYD

Jen841
12-28-2011, 01:47 PM
We did lasagnas for Christmas Eve (Red and a Butternut Squash)
Beef tenderloin on Christmas Day - inlaw family
Smoked Turkey for day after Christmas - my family

All in my kitchen

Leftover city now, but now we may have my family all for NYE and NYD. NYD may be our fake Primantis Bros sandwiches during the Steelers game so that may be covered.

I think we will do an at-home NYE with Wii and Boardgames. As much as I want to order in or eat out, I think staying in will be the best option (my 2 are fine out and about, but niece would be best at home.)

crl
12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I am thinking of doing heavy appetizers for us for NYE. Fruit plate, Nancy's petite quiches, some kind of cheese spread and crackers, maybe endive with orange segments, almonds and honey. I was thinking mini lime cupcakes, but I never did the jelly roll I had planned for Christmas so I think I have to do it for NYE instead.

For NY Day, I think I am going to do a beef roast in the crockpot with beef broth, beer and Lipton onion soup mix, shredded the beef and serve on toasted buns with the remaining broth to dip in. Super easy and both ds and dh will eat it (a RARE feat).

Catherine

Tondi G
12-28-2011, 07:30 PM
I would go with heavy appetizers maybe ... some thoughts

lil smokies in crescent dough
mini quiches (the ones from Costco are yummy)
salami and cheese plate
olives and pickles
caprese salad (tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil)
fruit salad or skewers
bacon wrapped asparagus skewers
meatballs (swedish style or BBQ) in the crockpot
vege crudite platter
chips n dip
maybe a yummy green salad
mini sandwiches (chicken salad on mini croissants maybe?)

mousemom
12-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Maybe a ham, since you haven't done one of those yet?

amldaley
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Appetizers and other Costco treats!

That has always been our big splurge for NYE and we just eat leftover NYD. We go to Costco and cruise the freezer section and the gourmet deli stuff and pick out several things we don't normally buy for ourselves. I also usually get DH some high end deli roast beef and white rolls (we seldom eat white bread so it is a treat for him!)

We snack, graze and pig out on all the yummy things that require very little prep! Budget an extra $5 or $7 and buy yourself the disposbable aluminun baking trays for super easy clean up so YOU can enjoy the food, too!

ETA:...I hear Costco's Olive Tapenade calling me now!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Ham and snacks. :) You could even buy a big bag of Costco dinner rolls so people can make mini sandwiches.

elbenn
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Maybe appetizers and a soup. I am planning on making Pioneer Woman's Broccoli Cheese soup. Soup and crusty bread is a good option--ham and bean, potato chowder, chicken noodle, etc.

mousemom
12-29-2011, 04:21 PM
If you want a more casual vibe, how about a "bar" of some kind where you put out a main item and people can choose their toppings - taco bar, baked potato bar, soup bar?