PDA

View Full Version : Things to do with a three year old

boilermakermom
12-28-2011, 03:33 PM
DH is on vacation until after the new year. I hadn't really planned on doing anything special while he is home.

He is bored and having a fit because there is nothing to do. The usual kid hot spots are a zoo this week; schools are on break, and parents are off. I suppose we are trying to avoid those places. We are in the Chicago burbs, so going into the city is an option. The zoo is out because it is cold.

He suggested a ski trip into Michigan or Wisconsin, but I think that sounds like an expensive disaster. DD is 3.5; I can not see her playing outside for longer then 45-60 minutes. I do not mind paying for ski school, but I honestly do not think she is ready for it. I will not get much ski time, because someone needs to watch DD. I would rather save the money and stay home.

Any suggestions for things I am missing?

TwoBees
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Children's museum? That will probably be as crowded as the other hot spots though.

Are you looking for things to do in your house, or places to go?

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I would get out of the house. Museums and such are usually pretty good either immediately at opening or in the afternoon during 2-5; lots of parents of little ones leave for nap time! We often find places like museums lovely from 3-5!

mikala
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM
I'd spend a morning at the Shedd Aquarium. It could be crazy but if you get there when they first open or late afternoon like SnuggleBuggles suggested the craziness should hold off for a bit.

Do you have an indoor botanical gardens or other more adult but still kid friendly places? Bowling and indoor mini golf can also be fun.

Outside of that it's a great time to build blanket forts and enjoy hot chocolate. Maybe schedule a couple hours for him to do his own thing and then you do the same?

boilermakermom
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM
We need out of house ideas. The local children's museum is a madhouse right now, so that is off the list.

I suggested the Shedd Aquarium downtown, but do not really want to pay $90+ for just admission. We have family passes to Brookfield Zoo but it is too cold to walk around outside for DD. we could maybe do a half hour outside - and spend some time at the children's indoor zoo center.

DD rec'd a ton of toys for Christmas, and she is perfectly content playing at home.

I suggested library time as well. But other then that, I am out of ideas....

amldaley
12-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Have you checked out what an annual pass for the Aquarium costs? Ours was just barely more than a single day out and includes umpteen other zoos and aquariums around the country.

mikala
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I suggested the Shedd Aquarium downtown, but do not really want to pay $90+ for just admission. We have family passes to Brookfield Zoo but it is too cold to walk around outside for DD. we could maybe do a half hour outside - and spend some time at the children's indoor zoo center.

Any chance you or DH is a teacher or work for any of the companies listed? Or do you have Chicago friends with access to the public library?
http://www.sheddaquarium.org/discounts.html

wellyes
12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
There is no way on God's green earth that I would go anywhere near a Children's Museum or aquarium this week. I'd just go to a local park that has some walking trails, or maybe the zoo - even during vacation week it tends to not be as crowded in cold weather. If weather means it has to be indoors, I'd see if your library has a nice children's room or if you have a Barnes and Noble with a train set, stage, etc to play on.

weech
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Try the library, maybe a local stable that has pony rides, a new park you've never been to, an indoor play place (like pump it up or gymboree?)

boilermakermom
12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
There is no way on God's green earth that I would go anywhere near a Children's Museum or aquarium this week. I'd just go to a local park that has some walking trails, or maybe the zoo - even during vacation week it tends to not be as crowded in cold weather. If weather means it has to be indoors, I'd see if your library has a nice children's room or if you have a Barnes and Noble with a train set, stage, etc to play on.

I know. That is exactly how I feel. I suggested these things and DH is still throwing a fit about being bored, and wasting his vacation time off of work while sitting at home.

I think he forgets, this is what a family is. It is spending time together, and FINDING things to do. (I am glad we haven't had a second child. I guess I can take that off the table :( )

I would love a ski trip if DD was older. I can't justify the $$ right now. DH will wind up skiing by himself the entire time, and DD and i will wind up finding our own things to do. Why don't we just stay home?

Why am I ALWAYS the one taking care of DD? Hmm...maybe this should have been in the bitching post??

boilermakermom
12-28-2011, 04:44 PM
I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing? An outing or activity....

boilermakermom
12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Any chance you or DH is a teacher or work for any of the companies listed? Or do you have Chicago friends with access to the public library?
http://www.sheddaquarium.org/discounts.html

We have gone on the discount days, and they are a MADHOUSE!!! WOW!!!

TwoBees
12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
What about going to a paint your own pottery place? Or open swim at the Y?

ahisma
12-28-2011, 05:11 PM
This is a decent alternative to a ski trip: http://www.doublejj.com/

You may want to call and see what winter activities they have though. We're in MI and have little to no snow. Just a crusty dusting. They're in the lake effect zone though, and I *think* they may make it. More kid friendly than skiing, IMO.

ray7694
12-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Honestly I have the same scenerio to either stay home or brave the hots spots. We are going to the childrens museum, bounch house playland, and Chuck E Cheese over break. We will go to each place right when it opens and jet as soon as it gets crowded.

new_mom_mry
12-28-2011, 05:21 PM
How about going on a road trip to Madison?? That's what I would do if I found myself in Chicago burbs. Ok, ok, I am biased because I went to school there, but there are so many kid-friendly things to do there! For starters, you could visit the Olbrich Gardens (they have an indoor tropical conservatory which should be open in the winter, admission is free for kids under 5 and like a dollar or two for adults). http://www.olbrich.org/gardens/
You could hang out at Memorial Union and get some awesome Babcock Hall ice cream http://www.union.wisc.edu/visit-memorialunion.htm
You could wonder around State St. and grab lunch at one of the restaurants...Sunroom Cafe is very kid friendly and is a local favorite (among many others)
You could take your DD to the children's museum http://www.madisonchildrensmuseum.org/

Ok, I am getting really nostalgic, and what I really should do is plan a trip to Madison for this summer so that I could introduce DS and DH to my alma mater :)

infocrazy
12-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Why don't you suggest painting a room or doing some projects around the house? My DH would be SURE to come up with a few "acceptable" suggestions of his own!!! :)

GvilleGirl
12-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Not sure what side of the city you are on:
- Wonderland Express at the Botanic Gardens? It is inside and they limit the number of people. http://chicagobotanicalgardens.org/
- Make a Messterpiece at the Glen
- Kohl Children's Museum (I don't think I am daring enough to do it on break though!)
- Paint your own Pottery (Color me Mine)
- Little Beans Cafe (Never been, but hear a lot of good things about it).

chozen
12-28-2011, 07:02 PM
see a movie

misshollygolightly
12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
For fun family stuff at home/in the neighborhood:
drive around to look at Christmas lights
movie nite at home w/ pizza or popcorn
bake/cook as a family (make your own pizza?)
make an easy craft as a family (we made a bunch of these to give to friends/neighbors: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/snowball-soap-surprise-800815/)
go to a fastfood place with an indoor play area for breakfast or lunch (less crowded at breakfast, usually)
go to an indoor bounce house type place (we have several of these in northern IN--I don't know if you have any close to Chicago; if not, how about one of the smaller, more low-key arcades w/ bumper cars or other activities that both your DH and DD could enjoy...any of those nearby?)
maybe try ice skating or bowling, if you think your DD might enjoy either of those things? Less $$ than skiing...

For your DH (sounds like the real problem is helping him feel like he's getting a "vacation"):
have grown up friends over to play board games/drink/watch a movie after DD is in bed
get restaurant take-out and have a grown-up dinner after DD is in bed