PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - convertible or Booster?

soupmom
12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
I have two boys -- almost 3 year old boy and 8 month old. The baby is almost out of his infant seat. We currently have 3 Britax Marathons (2 per car and need to replace the 2nd infant seat). My dilemma - do I buy a 4th Marathon or buy a booster for my 3 year old and give the baby one of the Marathons? I was looking at the Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster which seems to be good for my 3 year old and will transition into a booster.
Any advice?

Also, I keep looking at all of the convertibles that are so much cheaper than the Marathons. Is there anything that you like as much as a Marathon ata lower price?

Thanks for the help. I keep hesitating to push the "buy" button.

legaleagle
12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Definitely a harness-to-booster. The frontier is a great seat and has the highest harness slots on the market, but there are other cheaper options that are very popular as well.

lorinick
12-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Frontier for sure.

KrisM
12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
I'd not buy another convertible. Look at the Frontier, the Graco Nautilus, and the Evenflo Maestro. They are all harness to booster seats.

AnnieW625
12-28-2011, 06:32 PM
I would go with an Evenflo Maestro if you know for sure your child will be in a harnessed seat at around 5. If you know for sure that they will be harnessed until around 7 then get a Frontier. I loved the Frontier as a harnessed seat, but as a belted booster for a 5 yr. old it is a PITA in some cars, however it is still a very comfy seat, ESP. for longer trips, but really hard for a 43lb., and 43" to 45" (that is my 5/1/2 yr. old's height/weight) child to buckle themselves into.

soupmom
12-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. Very helpful!

edurnemk
12-28-2011, 10:42 PM
The Evenflo Maestro is our travel seat and we are very happy with it. We have 2 marathons in our cars. At 3 yo I would not put him in a booster, I don't think they're mature enough. Heck, I rode with my cousin and her 5 yo the other day and even he isn't ready for a booster, he wouldn't stay properly seated for more than 2 minutes.

soupmom
12-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Just to clarify ---- are you saying my 3 yo is too young for the Maestro or Frontier, even with the 5 point harness?

KrisM
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I think she's saying that he's too young for it as a booster. Harnessed, he is fine at age 3.

edurnemk
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Just to clarify ---- are you saying my 3 yo is too young for the Maestro or Frontier, even with the 5 point harness?

As a harnessed seat it's fine for a 3 yo. But not as a booster, because it requires them to be seated properly the whole ride and most kids that age can't do that.