PDA

View Full Version : Insulin, anyone?

amldaley
12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Dr is doubling my dosage of metformin but only giving it a week...which considering everything I have read about metformin says it can take up to 4 weeks to be effective is frustrating!

I am mentally preparing myself for Insulin...(I cannot take Glyburide). I have been walking ALOT lately and my legs swell up HUGE when I am on my feet. I have been pretty darn careful with eating, including no special Christmas splurges, etc. And my stupid morning fasting sugars are still in the 100's and 110's.

Dr says it may be b/c I am not getting enough sleep. Yeah, well if DH would sleep without ear plugs in and deal with the cat, and the toddler and his alarm clock, I might do better on sleep but I can't put myself in a bubble at this point!

So...preparing myself for insulin beginning next week as I have little faith anything will change.

I had to do Lovenox injections for a couple of weeks with DD and I was TERRIBLE at it. It hurt like hell and I always jerked the needle to soon, etc. I have to get allergy shots monthly, so I am borderline OK with those, but that is someone else sticking me.

Anyone BTDT? Any advice? Tips?

brittone2
12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
No advice, but I hope you can find something that works well for you. I take metformin XR for my PCOS. And have taken it for most of the last 7-8 years.

o_mom
12-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Have you tried support hose for the swelling? It won't help the blood sugar issue, but may make it easier to get the exercise in. I loved mine for all three pregnancies. They are a bit of work (need to put them on first thing in the AM before getting up), but made it so much more comfortable. You should be able to get the lowest pressure ones from Walmart, I think, but you can also get an Rx from your OB for stronger ones. My insurance covered them and I was able to use flexible spending on the coinsurance portion.

mommylamb
12-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Ugh, I'm so sorry. I've heard from people on that diabetic mommy board that insulin injections aren't a big deal, but I'm terrified of them (with no experience to back up my fear, so don't listen to me). Are your fasting numbers the only problem or are your after meal numbers high too? Remember, the morning numbers are totally hormonal, so there really isn't much you can do with diet/exercise to control those, so don't blame yourself.

As for the after meal times, I do think the exercise, or just movement if possible even if it's not real exercise, can make a big difference. At least it makes a big difference for me. I was feeling really sick on Christmas and the day after (bad cold) and was pretty lethargic and had some high numbers on those days as a result, even though I stuck to the diet and was actually too low on my carbs (my ketones went up, so I know I wasn't getting enough carbs over the weekend). But now that I'm feeling better and moving around more, the numbers are back where they should be. Maybe the support stockings would help.

I'm sorry you can't take glyburide. It has made a huge difference in my fasting numbers. I've been below 95 every morning since starting it, and I was almost never below 95 before that.

GD is so frustrating. I've calmed down some, but it still really upsets me that I have this. And apparently stress can cause your blood sugar to go up, so it makes it worse.

bisous
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with all of this. I hope your new metformin dosage will work and you won't have to do insulin.

That said, my DS has Type 1 Diabetes and has been on insulin for years, since he was only two years old. When we were training to give HIM shots, we had to first practice giving ourselves shots. I was actually really surprised by how little the shots hurt! The needle is so tiny and since it is injected into a fatty area, I could hardly feel it. I personally think the finger pricks are much, much more painful! Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the pain aspect at all and I think you'll be surprised by how pain free it really can be. Hurray for tiny needles!

The biggest down side we have to insulin is dealing with low blood sugars. With practice, we've gotten really good at noticing signs and symptoms early of "lows" and just make sure to have a sugar source available all the time to treat. We put some lifesavers in our meter case and then we're always ready. Fruit juice boxes are another way to get some fast sugar and also have some nutrients that could be useful in pregnancy!

It sounds like you are doing a great job of counting carbs. This will be really key when you go on insulin. Also, this is very tricky with a kid and possibly with a pregnant woman but the smaller amount of carbs that you eat, the easier it is to be precise with your insulin and avoid lows. In other words, if you eat 100 carbs in a sitting you need to have a lot of insulin and there is a large potential for going low. If you only eat 30 carbs at a meal, you need a much smaller dose and it is much safer.

Does that make sense?

Good luck, mama!

amldaley
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with all of this. I hope your new metformin dosage will work and you won't have to do insulin.

That said, my DS has Type 1 Diabetes and has been on insulin for years, since he was only two years old. When we were training to give HIM shots, we had to first practice giving ourselves shots. I was actually really surprised by how little the shots hurt! The needle is so tiny and since it is injected into a fatty area, I could hardly feel it. I personally think the finger pricks are much, much more painful! Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the pain aspect at all and I think you'll be surprised by how pain free it really can be. Hurray for tiny needles!

The biggest down side we have to insulin is dealing with low blood sugars. With practice, we've gotten really good at noticing signs and symptoms early of "lows" and just make sure to have a sugar source available all the time to treat. We put some lifesavers in our meter case and then we're always ready. Fruit juice boxes are another way to get some fast sugar and also have some nutrients that could be useful in pregnancy!

It sounds like you are doing a great job of counting carbs. This will be really key when you go on insulin. Also, this is very tricky with a kid and possibly with a pregnant woman but the smaller amount of carbs that you eat, the easier it is to be precise with your insulin and avoid lows. In other words, if you eat 100 carbs in a sitting you need to have a lot of insulin and there is a large potential for going low. If you only eat 30 carbs at a meal, you need a much smaller dose and it is much safer.

Does that make sense?

Good luck, mama!

Thanks for all the info & tips!!!

Glad to hear about the small needles! The lovenox needles were NOT small and that stuff burns upon injection! And if I can just remind myself that there are tens of thousands of LITTLE CHILDREN who have to take insulin, I think I will better be able to muster up the courage!

As for carbs at one meal....with GD, we are not allowed to eat 100 carbs at ANY meal!!! Dinner is our big meal of the day and it should be 45-60 grams. My sugars would be INSANE with 100 grams!!!!!!!!

GD looks more like this: (different places publish different charts...this is based on what my Dr gave me but I have found others that have slightly higher allowances for lunch).

Breakfast: 15-30 grams

Snack: 15-30 grams

Lunch: 30-45 grams

Snack: 15-30 grams

Dinner: 45-60 grams

Bedtime Snack: 30-45 grams

I think the unreliable meter issues I was having previously would be a nightmare with insulin. I have found now that I am using my cheapy lancing device (after two OneTouch Delicas not working, I went back to the old one) but using the OneTouch Ultra 2 meter seems to give me more consistent numbers. I also read up more on how to get a round blood drop and not use smeared or runny blood to test with (something the nurse never mentioned as she taught me to milk my finger!)

amldaley
12-29-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry you can't take glyburide. It has made a huge difference in my fasting numbers. I've been below 95 every morning since starting it, and I was almost never below 95 before that.

So glad it is working for you!!!!! That must be a relief! Yeah, it is both a sulfonomide AND in most preparations, it contains yellow dye. I am allergic to sulfa AND yellow dye!

The stress and lack of sleep are big parts of it, I am certain. But very little I can do to impact that right now on either count. Stupd fasting sugars. Stupid hormones. (Sorry...had to pout for a moment!!!!!!!! Done now!)

mommylamb
12-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Pout away. I've certainly done a lot of it, anyway. I know I need to snap out of it. I keep telling myself that lots of people have far worse problems and I should put my big girl pants on and get over it, but every once in a while I get really upset about it and start getting depressed.

I'm just a type A control freak, so not always being able to control my sugars is really stressful, though it's better now that I'm on the medication. I don't feel as out of control anyway. I do feel a lot better than I did a few weeks ago though. I'm not counting carbs as diligently actually (at least I'm not writing everything down anymore), but I just know instinctively what my portion size ought to be and it has been fine for my sugars.

The big fear I keep coming back to is having diabetes after I'm no longer pregnant (either immediately, or in the future). I just know this is a big wake up call for me and that my diet has probably gone through a transition that will last my entire life.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Pout away. I've certainly done a lot of it, anyway. I know I need to snap out of it. I keep telling myself that lots of people have far worse problems and I should put my big girl pants on and get over it, but every once in a while I get really upset about it and start getting depressed.

I'm just a type A control freak, so not always being able to control my sugars is really stressful, though it's better now that I'm on the medication. I don't feel as out of control anyway. I do feel a lot better than I did a few weeks ago though. I'm not counting carbs as diligently actually (at least I'm not writing everything down anymore), but I just know instinctively what my portion size ought to be and it has been fine for my sugars.

The big fear I keep coming back to is having diabetes after I'm no longer pregnant (either immediately, or in the future). I just know this is a big wake up call for me and that my diet has probably gone through a transition that will last my entire life.

You and me, both, mama! The lack of control and all the conflicting info out there on GD is frustrating. Your body not doing what you tell it to do or what you need it to do. I am a bit of a control freak, myself :wink2:

I still read carb counts on anything packaged, and look stuff up when eating out, but whole foods I am pretty good at identifying what a small portion is without counting now, too.

And yes...I have that same fear now, too. I had recently lost about 35-40 lbs before getting pg, and am sooooooo ready to get back on that path when DD2 is born! DH and I are facing a MAJOR life change as he is retiring from the military in 6 months and we have NO IDEA where we are moving to. Our first three choices are Denver, DC or Germany. This has confirmed for me that I want to downsize and have more time to be a healthier person than running around in my current lifestyle. I told him I want to go to Denver as it is touted to be one of the healthiest cities in the US, or Germany b/c I would HAVE to get healthy in a country that does not sell plus size clothes! DC might be bad for me as I know where all the good restaurants are, but if we end up there, you and I can go for a healthy lunch and a walk some day :)

February is right around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Watch...now that I have said that...we will end up in Ohio or Baltimore. No jobs for DH is Seattle or Boston. Maybe San Diego - then I will really have to get healthy!

mommylamb
12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
That's great that you had lost so much before getting pregnant. I was probably at my highest non-pregnant weight ever, so not so good. But I've made a commitment to myself to lose all pregnancy weight and continue to lose weight after the baby is born. I'm going to do stroller strides to start out with and keep to this diet to a large extent. My goal is to gain no more than 20-22 lbs with the pregnancy so that it won't be hard to lose.

DC is not necessarily the greatest city for weight loss IMO. I spend way too much time sitting in my car. Maybe if I lived in the city and had a very urban lifestyle it would be different, but as a suburban commuter and FT WOHM, it's tough to find the time to go to the gym or be active in general.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 02:57 PM
DC is not necessarily the greatest city for weight loss IMO. I spend way too much time sitting in my car. Maybe if I lived in the city and had a very urban lifestyle it would be different, but as a suburban commuter and FT WOHM, it's tough to find the time to go to the gym or be active in general.
TOTALLY AGREE. The first time we were stationed there, we lived inside the Beltway but the 2nd time I commuted from Baltimore to the Pentagon...FOOLISH amounts of time sitting in my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaiseyDog
12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Insulin shots don't hurt nearly as much as Lovenox shots. The volume of liquid you are injecting is generally lower with insulin shots than what you were use to with the Lovenox. Also the insulin needles are typically between 28-30 gauge (depends on the brand) and the needle on the Lovenox is 25-27 (depends on the strength). The higher the gauge the thinner the needle is. You may be surprised that the insulin shots don't hurt much at all compared to what you were use to.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 06:17 PM
insulin shots don't hurt nearly as much as lovenox shots. The volume of liquid you are injecting is generally lower with insulin shots than what you were use to with the lovenox. Also the insulin needles are typically between 28-30 gauge (depends on the brand) and the needle on the lovenox is 25-27 (depends on the strength). The higher the gauge the thinner the needle is. You may be surprised that the insulin shots don't hurt much at all compared to what you were use to.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kellij
12-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Ugh, I'm so sorry. I've heard from people on that diabetic mommy board that insulin injections aren't a big deal, but I'm terrified of them (with no experience to back up my fear, so don't listen to me). Are your fasting numbers the only problem or are your after meal numbers high too? Remember, the morning numbers are totally hormonal, so there really isn't much you can do with diet/exercise to control those, so don't blame yourself.

As for the after meal times, I do think the exercise, or just movement if possible even if it's not real exercise, can make a big difference. At least it makes a big difference for me. I was feeling really sick on Christmas and the day after (bad cold) and was pretty lethargic and had some high numbers on those days as a result, even though I stuck to the diet and was actually too low on my carbs (my ketones went up, so I know I wasn't getting enough carbs over the weekend). But now that I'm feeling better and moving around more, the numbers are back where they should be. Maybe the support stockings would help.

GD is so frustrating. I've calmed down some, but it still really upsets me that I have this. And apparently stress can cause your blood sugar to go up, so it makes it worse.

Hi. What is the diabetic mommy board? I had GD with DS1, then didn't have it with DD or DS2 and it looks like I have it again, so I'd lover to check out that board. Thanks!

mommylamb
12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi. What is the diabetic mommy board? I had GD with DS1, then didn't have it with DD or DS2 and it looks like I have it again, so I'd lover to check out that board. Thanks!

This is the one I found http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=diabeticmommy&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2Fdiabeticmommy%2Fmessages

But also, it looks like Baby Center has a GD forum which is also active.

amldaley
01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Just a quick thank you to all who offered info and advice!

The metformin is not really doing it's job. My after meal sugars are well controlled with diet but the fasting and sometimes breakfast numbers are still high. The fasting numbers range from 90-100.

So, insulin it is! I start on a VERY small dosage of a timed release once per day right before bed. I am dreading the injection but I will do anything at this point to help protect my kid!

mommylamb
01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Good luck. Everyone seems to say that the shots aren't painful, so hopefully that will be your experience as well. The mornings are just really hard. There's nothing you can do about the fasting numbers through diet, and breakfast numbers are hard to control too. I hope the insulin does the trick.

Beth24
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Good luck. I know exactly what you mean about doing anything to protect your baby...it will make the shots easier knowing what they are for.

amldaley
01-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Good luck. Everyone seems to say that the shots aren't painful, so hopefully that will be your experience as well. The mornings are just really hard. There's nothing you can do about the fasting numbers through diet, and breakfast numbers are hard to control too. I hope the insulin does the trick.

Could you explain that to my bosses? One just exclaimed that I am the unhealthiest person he has ever met and the other thinks that I should be able to control this with diet and exercise so it must be a failure on my part.

Beth24
01-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Could you explain that to my bosses? One just exclaimed that I am the unhealthiest person he has ever met and the other thinks that I should be able to control this with diet and exercise so it must be a failure on my part.

That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard! I think you should flood their inboxes with links to articles to the contrary!

amldaley
01-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Update ---

Drum Roll, please.....

...I Did It.

Did my first injection. I am a giant child and totally started crying. Finally decided to ice my leg first and when I could no longer feel the alcohol swab on my skin, I did the injection. Nohin' to it! The finger pricks actually hurt worse!

Now, 30 minutes later, my leg burns a little but otherwise, I am sure I will survive. And I figure my leg won't hurt forever. And I only have to do this something like 40 more times.

Thanks again to you all for your helpful and supportive posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mom2MandC
01-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I am glad you got the first one over and done with- that was by far the worst!! You are due next month so it is great that you can count down each day- remember that your baby will also be here in about 40 days!!!!!!! Thanks for updating- I was thinking of you today!

Beth24
01-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Yay! Glad you got the first one over with. I'm proud of you!