PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Park Zoo on Jan. 1st?

mom2binsd
12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Thinking about heading into Chicago for the day with my two. I could go Jan 2nd but am wanting to do something fun...last Jan 1st I discovered my DH, now XH was cheating..... any Chicago folks have any idea if the zoo is busy that day.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

arivecchi
12-29-2011, 02:03 AM
My guess is probably not. Hit Nookies for lunch if it is open! You can also drive by Sweet Mandy Bs on Webster St. for some yummy cupcakes. Hope you have a fun day.

mom2binsd
12-29-2011, 02:09 AM
What's Nookies? I haven't been to the zoo before, I guess there's parking right there...weather looks to be fine, we don't mind if it's a bit cold. Any other suggestions?

arivecchi
12-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Nookies is a dinner-type restaurant. The food is pretty good and the place is kid-friendly. It's super laid back and right by the zoo. I would also visit the conservatory if it is open.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nookies-chicago

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-mandy-bs-chicago

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/parks.detail/object_id/45aa3ed2-7c6f-4461-83b2-29cb991637e6.cfm

arivecchi
12-29-2011, 02:15 AM
I never park at the zoo, but yes, they do have parking.

arivecchi
12-29-2011, 02:21 AM
This pizza place is good as well:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rocco-ranallis-chicago

Fairy
12-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Honestly, Hon, I wouldn't. If it's a nice day it'll be a madhouse. If it's freezing, well, it'll be frakkin' freezing. But I get why you want to do it! Not like the MPZ is gonna cut it, is it? Heh. Ya know, after all these years, I've STILL never been there. Also, it's free, so it's going to be more packed than Brookfield or MIlwaukee. but that's just me, I'm not a fan of packed places.

As an alternative, what about an indoor museum? Also going to be packed. BUT. it won't be freezing! Well, in any event, you have a great time, you got good advice on places to go nearby, so enjoy one way or the other!!

arivecchi
12-29-2011, 02:44 AM
The zoo is actually great in the winter! People wuss out except for zoolights. :tongue5: Otherwise, it's usually nice and not crowded at all. I used to live right by it and loved going in the winter. There are quite a few things that are indoors - like the lion habitat, the monkey habitat, the gorillas, the African habitat, etc.

Actually OP, I may go there now on Jan. 1st! LOL!

Have not been to the zoo in a while.

Meet us there Fairy? ;)

Fairy
12-29-2011, 02:58 AM
The zoo is actually great in the winter! People wuss out except for zoolights. :tongue5: Otherwise, it's usually nice and not crowded at all. I used to live right by it and loved going in the winter. There are quite a few things that are indoors - like the lion habitat, the monkey habitat, the gorillas, the African habitat, etc.

Actually OP, I may go there now on Jan. 1st! LOL!

Have not been to the zoo in a while.

Meet us there Fairy? ;)

Ok, she knows better, go with what she says on crowds :-). Sorry, A, count me in as a wusser! Probably ...

arivecchi
12-29-2011, 10:23 AM
You have a good point though Fairy. Maybe OP can call the zoo and ask what the crowds are like that day, but my best guess is it would be nice. :)

alexsmommy
12-29-2011, 10:30 AM
We are among the wusses who typically only go to the zoo in winter to Brookfield Zoo for zoo lights. I've been to LPZ one time in winter and it was super empty - which is right up my alley. I would guess at best it would be only moderately busy at best. The temp is supposed to be decent until Monday so I say go for it! Good day to hit several things A suggested but I'd call and make sure things are open. Have fun!

Kindra178
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
We love the zoo in the winter. If you get there before 11 am, you should have no problem with crowds and parking. The parking lot was built for a summer crowd, not a January "crowd." It will be great. We may try and go too! We are going to Zoo Lights at Brookfield this weekend though, so that may be too many zoos in two days.

kmkaull
12-29-2011, 04:34 PM
We're going tomorrow for Zoolights! The weather is great right now and I love that zoo. Have fun!

arivecchi
12-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I went today and it was great! Practically deserted!

mom2binsd
12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all the ideas...the cold doesn't worry me, I grew up in Ottawa, Canada...plus a good excuse to wear my recent Goodwill find (a vintage wool coat by Marshall Field & Company/ Frank Gallant, circa 1950, in mint condition, perfectly sized and only 6.00).

Weather looks to be in the low 30's. The Bears are playing their last game away, but the game is meaningless so that won't keep many folks home, but I think we'll chance it, if it's too crowded we'll go somewhere else. The kids love the BIG city, we don't have any big buildings here so they think the city is very cool.

Fairy, yes MPZ isn't quite the same....but it does produce Reindeer poop ornaments every year that are very popular!

Thanks for all the ideas ladies!

PM if you are going and want to meet up and say hi!

Fairy
12-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Fairy, yes MPZ isn't quite the same....but it does produce Reindeer poop ornaments every year that are very popular!

Are you kidding?! I had no idea! Hahahaha! Ya know, in all these years, I've never been there. I meant to do it finally while my DH was staffed there, but I didn't make it happen. ONE DAY.

mom2binsd
01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Update we're sitting at Gino's East waiting for dinner, I'm enjoying a glass of wine because we're staying overnight...brought extra clothes and while at the Field Museum found a hotel for 80 a night (comfort inn on Ohio ). Kids are thrilled to stay in a hotel as we normally stay with friends on vacation. Hit America girl already, mckenna is cute but DD got the dining clip on chair. Mama is haphazard as we are walking and I get to drink wine with dinner. Plan to hotels zoo tomorrow the 40 MPH winds today were a bit much. Any other suggestions maybe any cute shops in Lincoln park arrivechi?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

arivecchi
01-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes, you can hit the shops on armitage (start on halsted and armitage). There is another nookies right there on Halsted. There are also tons of shops on Clybourn.