PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to put your address on your resume?

ha98ed14
12-29-2011, 02:40 PM
If you're job hunting and sending out resumes, do you put your address on them? It seems creepy to me that I am telling who knows how many strangers where I live. I would never post my address here, so why would I send it to strangers? But on the other hand, maybe I need to put it on there to show I am local? I am not homeless? WDYT?

vludmilla
12-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I was a program director for years and responsible for hiring. I don't believe I ever received a resume without an address on it. I think I would have noticed it if there wasn't an address on a resume. I think as long as you're sending it to established, reputable organizations there is very little chance that your information would be misused.

AngB
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I voted yes but I'm a traditional/former English teacher type.

Are you listed in the phonebook? Then any of them could find your address anyway so you aren't really giving them info that they (or any other random person) couldn't find.

klwa
12-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I voted Yes. I work for state government & when applying with us, you are required to fill out an application rather than send in a resume. And the first thing on there after your name is your address. They need it for background check, etc.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 02:59 PM
If you are posting a resume to a jobs search site, you can leave it off. But sending a resume in to a company or to a recruiter for a specific job? Yes. It needs to be on there, for MANY reasons.

ETA: As a former recruiter and job search coach...I can attest that you are dealing with people who see hundreds and sometimes thousands of resumes. Every organization I worked for or with shredded them after they were screened or archived if they were not going to be going on to the next level of the screening process. Successful candidates resumes are typically retained in their personnel file. Don't know if that makes you feel any better!

JustMe
12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes.

You do have a point in that it hardly seems like something they would need. It is probably out-dated from a time when resumes were sometimes responded to by regular postal mail (and of course some companies will stil do this--let you know it is received, etc). Also, yes, they will want to know if you are local.

However, the bigger issue of leaving it out is that it is just what is expected, and it would look weird if you left it out. It might raise flags. Unless you have a specific safety issue (for example, fear that someone who has something against you and has the tendency to be violent might see it), I would include it. If you do have a specific issue, I would find an alternative address to use (a friend's, etc, who is willing to give any mail that comes to you asap--even though I know its not usually done anymore, you never know).

amldaley
12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
If you do have a specific issue, I would find an alternative address to use (a friend's, etc, who is willing to give any mail that comes to you asap--even though I know its not usually done anymore, you never know).
Or get a PO Box. They are usually VERY CHEAP via the USPS.

kijip
12-29-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't mind putting mine on at all. However, I have seen many recently that just have phone, email and linkedin information. We did not hold it against them and one of them got the job. It depends on your field and region I would assume.

wellyes
12-29-2011, 03:59 PM
If you're nervous about it, I'd rent a PO Box. It would be notably odd to omit your address, and you don't want to be noticed for being odd. You certainly have to include your phone number, which is just a personal.

luckytwenty
12-29-2011, 04:05 PM
I just had a job interview. One of the first comments/questions was about my commute and how many people in the office also come in from my town. I'm not a recruiter myself but I imagine at least in larger regions, it can be a plus to be within a reasonable commute and a minus if relocation would be necessary or the commute would be so miserable that the person likely would quit.

JBaxter
12-29-2011, 04:24 PM
I just asked DH. He has recently interviewed for a few VP level positions and our address is on his resume. These positions were sought out by head hunter agencies and re-lo packages were discussed. Location is a biggie for a lot of people.

amldaley
12-29-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't mind putting mine on at all. However, I have seen many recently that just have phone, email and linkedin information. We did not hold it against them and one of them got the job. It depends on your field and region I would assume.

That is a good point - I was surprised while job hunting recently for DH how many online apps are requesting linkedin info. But I do think it is VERY industry specific.