PDA

View Full Version : What is at SYMS?

Jen841
12-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I have been working by one for 7 years, and now I just saw 'store closing' signs being held. Should I swing by? It is off the beaten path. It is no wonder it is closing.

ett
12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
It's like a Marshalls. I stopped by recently (before the store closing started) and was very unimpressed with it. Not much stuff and prices weren't great either. There weren't many people in the store at all. It's no wonder they're closing.

NJ_Mom2011
12-29-2011, 03:07 PM
At least for the Syms here in downtown Wall Street, most of the good stuff has been sold already, and imo not worth going.

spanannie
12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
That was my husband's favorite store when he lived in Dallas. He has very nice, high end designer shirts he purchased there and is still wearing years later. I could never find anything for myself there.

pastrygirl
12-29-2011, 05:07 PM
I loved it years ago; didn't they have a decreasing price structure based on date? Like on 10/10, it was $50, then on 11/10 it would go down to $35, then on 12/10 it would go down to $21. Something like that?

AJP
12-29-2011, 09:35 PM
When we had one near us years ago the only thing worth going for were the men's designer suits and sometimes women's suits. The nicest brand I saw for men was Burberry (suits) and a few women's Tahari suits. Never found anything else, just a lot of junk.

Ms B
12-30-2011, 03:24 AM
I got a lot of great things at my Syms back in the day . . . a Calvin Klein ready to wear jacket that I still bust out every summer for about $50, Jones New York blazers, a Liz Claiborne spring trench that I still wear, great Ralph Lauren chunky loafers (I told you it was back in the day), Echo scarves for $5 each, Sportsac totes for $15. DH got all of his socks (Gold Toe and similar) and boxers there for years. It was as good (or even better than) Nordstrom Rack. The only negative was those communal dressing rooms. Ick.

marge234
12-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Found a beautiful raincoat there once. As PP noted, it was a great spot for men's clothes.

Saw Filene's Basement is also going out of business. I wonder if there's something going on, or these companies are just losing out to Marshalls, Rack, etc....

hkriw
12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
OP-Guess you work by the one in Devon/Paoli
I saw that article that they were closing- kind of shocked-its juts always been there.
They have a lot of nice stuff but prices are not that amazing to me- good but not great.

NJ_Mom2011
12-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Saw Filene's Basement is also going out of business. I wonder if there's something going on, or these companies are just losing out to Marshalls, Rack, etc....

Filene's Basement & Syms are owned by the same holding company, and now that holding co is liquidating the stores. I agree with everyone Syms is best for men's formal clothes.