PDA

View Full Version : WWYD?? To educate or not?

BabbyO
12-29-2011, 03:08 PM
DH's cousin and DW are quite a bit younger than us and quite frankly were a bit unprepared for parenthood/marriage (it was all unexpected). They are wonderful people and a great couple so we've really tried to help out when and where we can. I helped them install/taught them how to install/use their infant seat (Snugride). At the time I know I told them about expiration dates on car seats and I emphasized keeping DD rearfacing as long as possible (to the max weight of the carseat). I knew their DD would need a new seat soon and at Thankgiving reminded them if they had any questions I'd be more than willing to talk carseats with them.

I found out at Christmas they purchased a used Advocate on CL. I don't know much about the seat (didn't see it) but I'm concerned that it may be expired. (in addition to all the other concerns with a used carseat).

I want to say something...but I don't want to pi$$ them off. I've offered my knowledge...shared BBB and Car-seat.org sites with them. Do I just drop it at this point? I'm so frustrated because I know what they paid...and while it is a decent price for an Advocate...they could have gotten a brand new seat for that price and not had to worry about all the concerns with used seats or expiration dates...

So wwyd??

AnnieW625
12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
The Advocate has only been out since early 2009 so it would not be expired at all. The first model was retired in August, 2010 and replaced by the current Advocate 70.

I have sold car seats to friends and I have told them that they have not been in accident. My friends trust me and I have sold things on CL too and I always tell the full story and people have still bought the items from me. I would like to think that the people who sold your cousins the seat were truthful and honestly I'd be more worried if they came home and said they bought an Advocate for $100 off of Craigslist than the $250 to $275 they probably paid for it. IMHO you have to trust your cousins judgement on this one. If it turns out they did get burned they need to figure it out for themselves.

kijip
12-30-2011, 01:39 AM
It can't have expired. I would keep my mouth shut on this one, it is likely fine. I understand the impulse to help here but I think you will be more help in the long run if you don't alienate them over this.

BabbyO
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
The Advocate has only been out since early 2009 so it would not be expired at all. The first model was retired in August, 2010 and replaced by the current Advocate 70.

I have sold car seats to friends and I have told them that they have not been in accident. My friends trust me and I have sold things on CL too and I always tell the full story and people have still bought the items from me. I would like to think that the people who sold your cousins the seat were truthful and honestly I'd be more worried if they came home and said they bought an Advocate for $100 off of Craigslist than the $250 to $275 they probably paid for it. IMHO you have to trust your cousins judgement on this one. If it turns out they did get burned they need to figure it out for themselves.

Thanks...this is why I asked. I couldn't quite figure out when the advocate came out. I didn't remember hearing much about it...but then I was just entering the carseat scene in 2009. They paid $170...I don't know if they asked/had history disclosed.

It can't have expired. I would keep my mouth shut on this one, it is likely fine. I understand the impulse to help here but I think you will be more help in the long run if you don't alienate them over this.

Thanks...you guys made me feel better about this one!