PDA

View Full Version : Which are better and safer- casement or double hung windows?

gatorsmom
12-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Which do you prefer- the windows that open by sliding them up or the windows that open by cranking them out? Anyone have any opinions about these? TIA

khalloc
12-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Easy. Double Hung (slide up) windows. They look nicer and it's easy to get a window AC in them.

infocrazy
12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
We mostly have the windows that slide open similar to sliding glass doors. I liked them because the window pane was more open and the kids couldn't have one slide down on them.

We have two windows with the casement crank because of their location. Although i like the look of them, the kids mess with them and wind them too tight etc...big pain. Your kids are older though so maybe not as much of an issue.

If I were picking between your two choices, hands down double hung.

KrisM
12-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Double hung. I have 2 casement windows over the sink because we couldn't reach to open a double hung. I dislike that the screens are inside the house.

infomama
12-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Casement are more secure (when you get down to it glass is glass though) but you have to evaluate the exterior of your home as when they are open..they can be dangerous for people walking by them (edges are sharp/easy to hit head on). They catch the breeze nicely if that matters to you. I like the look of double hung but we will likely go with casement when we replace our windows.

ETA--we roll our screens up on our casement windows in the winter and the new ones are very unobtrusive.