PDA

View Full Version : Appetizer suggestions wanted

mommylamb
12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
We're going to our friends' house for NYE and I said I would bring an appetizer. I've got gestational diabetes, and my friend is gluten intolerant. I'm open to any suggestions you have for easy to bring appetizers.

TIA!

TwinFoxes
12-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Slices of good mozzerella, topped with tomato and a dab of pesto. Looks fancy, tastes great, hopefully both of you can have it?

pastrygirl
12-29-2011, 05:50 PM
I've made something like this before, but can't find my exact recipe: http://www.bariatriceating.com/BErecipes/recipefiles/eggs--cheese/egg--cheese-in-ham-cups/202/index.html ETA: They are great at room temp.

elektra
12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
The caprese salad rec sounds great to me too. Easy too!

Here is my go-to appetizer when I have to actually prepare something.

It's a dip so maybe substitute the bread for carrot sticks or some other veggie or gluten-free, low carb dipper?

Spinich Dip from Sunset Magazine
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=523652

This remarkably convenient and versatile appetizer rates high with Alice Chazen, co-owner of Perry Creek Vineyards. Make the cheese mixture up to 2 days ahead, cover, and chill, then bake uncovered. To vary the results, replace the spinach with chopped artichoke hearts. Chazen serves a dry Chardonnay or fruity Riesling with either version.
Yield

Makes about 3 cups; 12 servings
Ingredients

* 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
* 1 cup reduced-fat or regular mayonnaise
* 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese
* 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and minced
* 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
* 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 2 baguettes (8 oz. each), thinly sliced

Preparation

1. Squeeze spinach to remove liquid. With a mixer, beat spinach, mayonnaise, cream cheese, onion, garlic, 1 cup parmesan cheese, and pepper until thoroughly combined.

2. Mound mixture in a 3- to 4-cup baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese and the paprika.

3. Bake in a 350° oven until hot in center and lightly browned on top, 25 to 30 minutes.

4. Serve hot to spread on baguette slices.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
227 (39% from fat)
Protein:
7.8g
Fat:
9.9g (sat 3.9)
Carbohydrate:
26g
Fiber:
1.7g
Sodium:
569mg
Cholesterol:
14mg

Beth24
12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Definitely something cheese based so you can eat it! I love the caprese salad idea or a nice cheese platter. And some veggies and hummus would be good too.

urquie
12-29-2011, 07:40 PM
A jar of trader joe's corn salsa mixed with a can of black beans (drained and rinsed), served with big scoop Fritos (they taste better, IMHO, than TJ's). It tastes even better with lime juice, fresh cilantro and a little cumin. It's very pretty in a white bowl, maybe garnished with a couple sprigs of cilantro or parsley.

ETA: oh no - the corn salsa is sweet and spicy, so probably not good for diabetes. Sorry! Maybe you could substitute with plain corn and add some oven roasted tomato salsa (TJ's has a nice one).

urquie
12-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Hummus with Multigrain Tortilla Chips, by the Food Should Taste Good brand (they are great and all of their products are gluten free. Hummus is great with all veggies... And Fritos too. :)

Tondi G
12-30-2011, 12:05 AM
I would go with the caprese salad.... either classic with the sliced tomato and mozzarella or buy the already marinated fresh mozzarella balls and put them in a bowl with grape tomatoes and snip some fresh basil over the top.... serve with crackers or sliced baguette (although your gluten intolerant friend can't eat the bread).

how about some skewers?

Chicken (like satay) or kabobs with onion, bell peppers and mushrooms

bacon wrapped asparagus (cut each spear in 3rds maybe... then wrap with a slice of bacon and grill)

cantaloupe wrapped with prosciutto

chicken wings/drummetts (either teriyaki style (just make sure it's gluten free soy sauce) or franks red hot wing sauce)

Corn tortilla chips and fresh salsa and guacamole ... you could do a black bean salsa to make it a little more substantial too

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/appetizerssnacksand/r/blackbeansalsa.htm

Deviled eggs?

12 hard-boiled eggs
1/3 cup gluten free mayonnaise
2 teaspoons prepared gluten free mustard
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half and scoop yolks into a bowl.
Use a fork to finely mash the yolks.
Add mayonnnaise, prepared mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
Use a spatula to blend all ingredients into a smooth mixture.
Use a melon ball scoop to place a rounded ball of egg filling on each egg white.

Spinach Artichoke dip

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/recipes/r/spinachdip.htm