PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen the US Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

sidmand
12-29-2011, 08:31 PM
I'd really like to see it but I'm a little worried about the rape scenes. I've heard it's very graphic and although I know that's an important part of the story I'm wondering if it'll be too much for me. FWIW I decided not to see Precious for similar reasons. I really wanted to but I get very involved in movies and from all I heard it wouldn't be for me. One of those things you can't unsee...

ast96
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
I did. It is uncomfortable, but it was not unbearable, IMO.

I thought the movie was well done, but I was still disappointed by it. The book is better (of course)!

Twoboos
12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
I did. It is uncomfortable, but it was not unbearable, IMO.

I thought the movie was well done, but I was still disappointed by it. The book is better (of course)!

Yep, all that. It was more graphic than I expected, even though I read the books.

MommyofAmaya
12-29-2011, 09:17 PM
That scene was more intense than I was expecting. It rivaled the rape scene in Irreversible, which I haven't been able to watch in many years. I would leave the theater during that scene and return for the next if you don't want to have it living in your head for a while. I did like the film more than I thought I would, and actually preferred it to the Swedish version which I was very surprised about as I prefer foreign films in general.

California
12-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Decided not to see it due to hearing about the rape scene. Not what I need in my mind!

kijip
12-29-2011, 11:42 PM
No way. I can't deal with rape scenes. Honestly, I can't even watch the first few minutes of Law and Order SVU. I avoid movie scenes that depict sexual assault. In the past, I have had PTSD stress reactions to them and so I just steer clear. Sometimes I am ok, most of the time not so I do not press my luck. Life is too short.

nfowife
12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I read the book and saw both versions of the film. I MUCH prefer the USA version of the film overall. For the rape scene, I closed my eyes and plugged my ears and hummed almost silently. That did the trick for me well enough. See the movie! Very well done IMO.

indigo99
12-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I thought it was more graphic than the Swedish version, but DH disagrees. Maybe it's because our theater was crowded so I was more uncomfortable than seeing it at home, but it is pretty bad. The movie overall is really good though. I too liked it better than the original although I like the original Lisbeth better. If you haven't read the books then it can be a bit confusing at first, and I found it easier to follow in English than with the subtitles.

ETA: When she calls the guy and he tells her to come to his apartment then you could go for a bathroom or popcorn break. Then again when she goes back to his apartment.

chiisai
12-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks for asking this, and thanks also to the posters who did a bit of comparing of the two films.

I watched the Swedish version at home and walked away during the first scene.

In general, I've been debating whether I want to watch the US version, because I thought the Swedish version was pretty darn good. I think I will go ahead and catch this when it comes to On Demand. Though I'm pretty partial to the Swedish version of Lisbeth.

wellyes
12-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I've heard of people walking out of the theater nation wide. I'm guessing people who never read the book? The whole series is about sexual violence against women.

sidmand
12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for everyone's honest input.

I saw the Swedish version and read the book so I do know there is a lot of violence...I don't recall being so disturbed by the Swedish movie but I was watching it by myself at home while exercising in the daytime and may not have been completely paying attention! I did like the Swedish Lisbeth and wondered about the US casting.

But seeing it is very different than reading about it--at least the way I read! I can always skim over parts I don't want or need such graphic details on. I think we may be seeing The Muppet Movie instead. A bit of a swing there. :)

karstmama
12-30-2011, 11:30 AM
it was intense but not unbearable in my opinion (disclaimer - i have no history of sexual assault). if you can stand 'silence of the lambs', i think you'd be fine. you definitely know what's happening, but maybe the camera is on his/her face instead of genitals, etc. also just in my opinion, i was amused/amazed to see how graphic the sex was. surprising it wasn't nc-17 or x or something. again, no genitals, but nothing much left to imagination.

StantonHyde
12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for asking. I want to see the movie but I will have to do my usual trick when there is too much violence-cover eyes, plug ears!

DrSally
01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Saw it a few days ago and loved it. Have not read the books yet (but want to). I was riveted. It was very gripping. I thought M.R. Did a great portrayal of Lisbeth. She is so fearsome and tough, but so childlike and vulnerable at the same time. A great, wonderful character. Of course, Daniel Craig is hot. I think the filming on location in Sweden really added a lot. You really get a feel for the landscape, which adds a lot to giving a sense of the place/atmosphere. Yes, the rape seen was horrific, kind of along the lines of The Accused, IMO. One woman excused herself for it. I have no hx of sexual assault. Obviously, would be very different if that were the case, and i can totally understand not wanting to watch rape scenes in that case. It was very real and raw.