PDA

View Full Version : Poor DD is covered in an eczema rash

HIU8
12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
DD has had eczema since she was born. She has been tested for many many food and other allergies 2x in the past 4 years and all come up negative. For a very long while, we have had the breakouts under control. Tonight, she gets into the bath and tells me she would rather stand b/c sitting hurts. Her entire torso is covered in little red dots and splotches--her signature rash(all the way on to her upper thighs--front and back) and 2 inches on ether side of her elbows are a solid blood red color (elbows are a new thing). The only thing we did different today is that she wanted to try on her bathing suits and she wore short sleeves in doors (all items that had been washed and put away with the detergent we have been using for the past 3 years).

DD went to bed covered in hydrocortisone 10 (only used for bad breakouts) covered by cetaphil lotion as well. I'm hoping by morning things look better.

kbud
12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Interesting, my dd (also born in 2007) is also covered in a rash all over her torso and slightly down her legs. It's the 2nd time in a month for her. The Dr. said it wasn't eczema but a rash as a reaction to something but we have no idea. She has always had sensitive skin and is very itchy even without a rash. She'll scratch herself until she's bleeding at times. She has never, prior to this month broken out like this though. I covered DD in hydrocortisone and then calamine lotion. I also gave her benedryl.

She didn't have the rash this morning so I'm trying to pinpoint what it could be. She took an oatmeal bath this morning before the rash. She also had her first oatmeal bath the first week the rash showed up. I think it's highly unlikely to be the oatmeal as it's supposed to help itchy, dry skin and that's why we were using it but I suppose she could be allergic to oatmeal. She also played outside this afternoon. I do notice she's itchy after being outside.

The Dr. told me to have her take Claritin daily and that might help but she's been on it for over 2 weeks and still another rash. Although the itchies seem to be better.

Was the allergist painful? My dr. says it can be and isn't sure if it would tell us much. It just depends on how much the reactions are bothering her.

Something helpful he told her was to slap her itches instead of scratching. He says it takes the itch away. She does it now and says it helps.

Good luck, I hope they both get cleared up soon. The poor things!

Oh, BTW I also have an older DD born in 2004. The same ages as your children;)

HIU8
12-29-2011, 11:06 PM
DD has been taking claritin in liquid form for the past 2 years daily. So she is pretty full up. I could have given benadryl tonight, but I didn't think it would do much good b/c it really does seem like DD's signature eczema breakout. She went to bed (complaining that her pj's were sticking to her), but is fast asleep right now.

Normally by morning she should look fine. Here's hoping.......

Hope your DD feels better soon also.

Uno-Mom
12-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Oh man, that's awful!

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but it's a weird time of year. Are there unusual things around your house: candles, Christmas tree, holiday linens, wrapping, potpourri, anything?? Any gifts?

Of course those things would have been around for a few days already but maybe she picked today to rub up against them, or maybe she ingested a little piece of something.

That really stinks. Sprog has had just small outbreaks and I can imagine how awful that bad one must be. No kids should have to deal with that. :(

HIU8
12-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks. We don't celebrate Christmas, so nothing of that sort around the house. The entire rash was completely gone this morning. I'm waiting to see if a flare-up happens again this evening. Our weather has been odd (snow yesterday) 55 today, in the 50's with really harsh winds before that. I'm thinking it could have just been the weather weirdness.

Uno-Mom
12-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm glad she's feeling better. Wow, that seems like a strong reaction for weather conditions but I know those reactions can be unpredictable.

Green22
12-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Glad to hear she's better.

We have had random incidents like that as well.

DD gets eczema flares and weird rashes in general before (sometimes after, but generally before) she gets sick. Ped said some kids get rash when they get a virus. She has really really reactive skin, so who knows.

On a separate note, we've had some good success (nothing miraculous, but worth mentioning) using Aveeno Eczema Creme (the one with oatmeal) as a daily moisturizer. It might be that we've had a mild winter thus far too, but I'm pleased with it. We use that and then layer with vaseline (seems to work better than aquaphor for her) on the spots that seem to be getting bad. We try to hold off on hydrocortisone as long as possible but do use it. HTH.

HIU8
12-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah, we only use the hydrocortisone creme when it's really bad (lately that has been maybe a total of 3 times this yr thankfully). We tried the aveeno and DD broke out. She also broke out from Vanicream (huge welts). The cetaphil so far is the only cream she doesn't have any type of a reaction to. We also do aquafor. Normally it's the aquafor and the cetaphil all winter long.

The rash didn't come back. I honestly do not know what it was from, but I'm glad it's gone.